A Peak In The Life of a Treadmill Long Run

Enough about the Super Bowl. I had sushi over the weekend and I am still thinking about it.

sushi

So I can’t find my Lululemon neck warmer since it hit the laundry.

It is black and little like my leggings so if I had to guess, I folded it in the drawer with my pants but I have yet to see it.

I am not even looking for it though because I never find things when I look for them, only when I have forgotten about it completely will it turn up.

Besides, it’s currently snowing, icing and raining all at once so it’s not like I can bundle up to run outside anyway.

treadmill

Oh the treadmill.

I am trying so hard to look on the bright side during each step on that belt but even for a glass half full gal like me, it’s not always easy.

My mind isn’t free to wander like it does outside and most of my runs last week heard complaints from my legs/feet  during the first few miles.

But I refuse to give up or give in. I keep my thought process super positive and make it a point to focus on the tiniest-almost-ridiculous happy running thoughts just to get myself through each run, especially the long runs.

Running takes physical ability but without the mental strength, you don’t stand a chance.

Long runs are possible on the treadmill. It’s all in how you approach it.

I want to share with you a breakdown of my thought process before and during Saturday’s long run just so you can see what I mean about the power of positive thinking when it comes to running.

treadmill-running-series

Thursday:

Every so often I told myself that Saturday’s long run is approaching and it’s going to be awesome.

Friday:

Long run tomorrow! So what if it’s on the treadmill, you can do this.

Saturday:

5:30 am: Long run today! Yes, it’s on the treadmill and you will like it. Don’t forget your jelly beans and water.

6:00 – 7:00 am: Linger over coffee, water and oatmeal, watch the news, browse the web and get dressed.

7:00 am: Bundle up to walk to the gym in the negative degree wind chill — lucky me I don’t have to run outside!

treadmill long run

I didn’t know exactly how many miles I would run, all I knew is that I would be breaking the run into segments:

Two segments of five miles each and anything after that TBD.

Mile 1:

This isn’t so bad. It’s not cold in here, I am not dealing with wind and my phone won’t die from hypothermia!

Mile 2:

As usual, my lower legs are starting to protest. I’ll pause for a second to stretch but we are NOT going home.

Mile 3:

The complaints from my lower legs were heard by my feet who are now deciding to complain too.

At least I don’t have a side stitch. Stop even thinking about such a thing as you might jinx yourself!

Mile 4:

See. We can all learn to get along.

Things are feeling good and we are almost at the end of the first segment, how do you like that? Piece of cake.

Stop for bathroom and water before restarting the belt.

Mile 5:

In my groove. My feet are understanding that the quicker we move without complaining, the quicker we get to rest.

And you know, I really like my running shoes.

adidas and pro compression

I love my Boosts right now but love that I can rotate with the Hoka Cliftons and trust that they will feel good too.

It’s hard enough to love one pair but two? I am really lucky.

Mile 6:

I am so proud of myself for being able to breathe so comfortably while running.

Never did I think I would be capable of such a thing. As much as my legs complain, my breathing is always in tune and I think that’s really cool.

Mile 7:

I can more than do this.  I finish what I start. Always.

Mile 8:

I wonder if the people around me in the gym have noticed that they are coming and going and I am still running.

Whatever, they should be jealous. Look at me go and go.

Mile 9:

I am the coolest person here because I have jelly beans in my pocket.

And guess what? They are still soft instead of turning into jaw breakers which happens when running outside in the cold!

Mile 10:

Ohh my post-run breakfast is waiting at home for me. And today is a Red Mango for lunch day. Yes it is.

red mango parfait

Ten miles down, seriously? Already? I don’t even feel like I ran ten! I feel great!

Stop belt and have water because I am not coordinated enough to drink it while I am running.

Mile 11:

I am going faster than I was during the first ten miles! I am amazing.

Switch over to running playlist for last group of miles and play Bring Em Out on repeat.

bring em out

Mile 12:

How amazing that I feel stronger now than I did ten miles ago.

It’s nice not breathing in the cold air so maybe I should consider treadmill racing should it ever become a trend.

Mile 13.1:

I just finished a half marathon, didn’t I.

And I am pretty sure I ran those segments in negative splits too.

treadmill

I cooled down and stopped the belt at 13.50 miles.

I could have kept going but it’s always nice to end on a high note and know you still had a drop more to give.

The power of positive thinking, breaking your run up in segments, not thinking too far ahead of yourself… it makes a world of difference.

************

Best thing you ate all weekend?

Was your long run inside or outside over the weekend?

Which running shoes are currently your favorite?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe February 2, 2015, 6:17 am

What goes through my head:
    HOW HAS IT ONLY BEEN 30 SECONDS???
    And HOW HAVE I ONLY DONE 5 MILES??
    I’m a wuss about long TM runs, especially in the AM!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Weekend Recap and Suzlyfe’s Common Yoga Mistakes ClinicMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner February 2, 2015, 6:32 am

Oh the treadmill long runs! How I hate them when you are having a bad day but when you are having a good day and can knock a good long run out you feel invincible. My longest treadmill run is 15. And I do just what you said – break it into smaller races. I play a game with it.

ANd I am the same way when I can’t find a piece of workout gear. It is usually folded in all the spandex! Stay safe in Storm Linus.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Weekend of Good Things [Favorite Super Bowl Ad] // Quinoa & Feta Fruit Salad RecipeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:27 am

I thought of you guys in Chicago when I saw the snow by you on the news! We don’t have as many inches here but it started icing on top of it and made things pretty bad – schools are closed today.

• Tina muir February 2, 2015, 6:43 am

I am probably gonna need this today, I think I have another treadmill run today! Boooo! But you are right, it is all about perspective, and at the end of the day, it gets it done safely, and that is what is most important. Thanks for the tips, I am almost tempted to write them down haha
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Beet Pizza with Feta and SpinachMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:25 am

Yep, safety is really important which is something we sometimes try to ignore by thinking we are invincible outside.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 2, 2015, 7:08 am

One day I’ll figure out how people run that many miles on the treadmill — you’re right about it very much being a mental game. I usually have to cover up the info on my treadmill when I know I”m going to be on there for longer because I can’t help but look down constantly and say “omg it’s -only- been 20 seconds?!?”
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 2/1 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:24 am

I have found that I don’t mind looking at the screen because I only focus on the distance display. As I bump up my speed, I make the miles happen faster which creates a positive thought process for me.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma February 2, 2015, 7:10 am

That is some serious mental toughness right there! I will be hopping on the treadmill tomorrow for the first time this year and will think of this post 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Getting Your Heart In ItMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:21 am

Just tell yourself that you can totally do it and you are grateful for the option since the weather right now is horrendous. Say it over and over – it will work! I promise.

• Jessie February 2, 2015, 7:39 am

Good thing you got your Red Mango when you did considering it’s raining, snowing & icing outside right now. Which btw, that sounds horrific! Be safe & bundle up if you do venture outside.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:21 am

It was so so good, I need another one this week! I can’t wait until next weekend. I try to limit it to once a week as treat since they raised the price to insane levels.

• Ruthie@She'sWickedHealthy February 2, 2015, 7:50 am

Haha my favorite is “I am the coolest person here bc I have jelly beans in my pocket.” That really IS cool! Congrats on crushing the long TM run!
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…Weekly Progress Report Plus “To Thine Own Self Be True”My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:20 am

I made myself with the jelly bean thought. I really don’t think anyone else had jelly beans in their pockets.

• Taca @ A Side Of Dessert February 2, 2015, 7:59 am

Way to go! Treadmill running isn’t easy especially when its a long one but it feels amazing when its over. Have a fantastic week!
    Taca @ A Side Of Dessert recently posted…MIMM [02-02-15]My Profile

• AJ @ NutriFitMama February 2, 2015, 8:44 am

Long treadmill runs…I love your attitude towards it! I am such a baby. It just takes so.much.longer on a treadmill. But it really is SO much better than running outside in freezing weather so I shouldn’t complain..
    AJ @ NutriFitMama recently posted…5 Ingredient Paleo PancakesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:19 am

I actually end up going much faster on the treadmill so my long runs and really most runs, go that much quicker which is something I think about when I am focusing the on the positives.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine February 2, 2015, 8:53 am

I have definitely had almost all of these exact thoughts while running. I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t drink water while running on the treadmill! I feel like it would be really helpful to learn how to do it. I also can’t stop my feet on the sides of the treadmill while its still running like I see alot of people doing, so I always have to manually slow it down to a walk in order to drink water.
    I am so impressed that you ran more than a half-marathon on the treadmill. I bet now you feel like if you can do that you can do just about anything!!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back At January 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:18 am

I attempt the water while running on the treadmill but it splashes on me and the treadmill which is never a good thing. I can’t really drink while running ever, it’s a disaster during races! Up my nose most of the time. Ha. I never jumped to the sides either while keeping the belt going, somehow I would hurt myself lol.

• Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate February 2, 2015, 10:08 am

The mind is such a powerful thing! I definitely go through similar thoughts before, during and after a long run. And I LOVE sushi- give me it allll!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 2, 2015, 10:17 am

The sushi was just so so good this weekend! It totally hits the spot, especially when I am craving it.

• Suzy February 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Ha ha ha! You did a really great job at dialoguing that run! I totally relate. And 13.1 miles on that belt is something to be so proud of. I love the post-run selfie, too. You ate those miles for breakfast. NICE JOB!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• Frank February 2, 2015, 12:08 pm

Bad food weekend.
    Ran indoors Sat and Sun.
    I love my Newton Fates. Need to find a complementary shoe to alternate.

• Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz February 3, 2015, 12:46 am

You are right on. The brain can either talk you into something, or out of it! This was a great reminder! I just can’t believe you don’t cover up your time/distance! I can’t run anymore, but when I did have to run inside (and when it was a time I was dreading the treadmill…isn’t it weird how sometimes you love it and sometimes you hate it?), I would definitely have to put a towel over the display. I do the stair master and have to cover it up there also! Right now, the only cardio I am getting is from my arm bike, and sometimes it drags, but I break it down into sections like you did your run! You go girl!
    Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz recently posted…Food Logs and Puppy DogsMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 3, 2015, 6:10 am

I do love the power of positive thinking. It can make a world of difference.

Today, I am going to blast through my work at the office, and it’s going to be great. 🙂

• BJ @ Geek Fitness February 6, 2015, 8:04 am

I am totally jealous. I just can’t bring myself to do that long of a run on my treadmill. Mine’s a cadence issue, I think. My form gets wacky on the treadmill, and I can’t adjust it like I do outside. So the winter for me is more of a mix of cycling and then shorter runs (3-6 miles) on the treadmill to keep up with my fitness. Luckily, I live in Alabama, so our winters aren’t ridiculous like some other places, and there are still intermittent warm streaks where I can get outside.

Congrats on the half on the tread, though. Man. I’m freaking out just thinking about that.

(Found you from Jill Conyers #FitnessFriday linkup, btw).
    BJ @ Geek Fitness recently posted…Why “Maintenance Mode” After Weight Loss Is Total GarbageMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 6, 2015, 2:04 pm

So glad you found me : )….Slowly I learned to adjust to the treadmill. And sometimes I like it but it’s sooo not as good as outside. I am glad you live in a climate that doesn’t get too brutal where you have no choice but to use the treadmill.