The Bloat Is Real (TOL)

thinking out loud

My mind has been gearing up with major interest in training for the Long Island half marathon.

The Long Island half marathon for this year is Sunday, May 7 which means I would start training in a few weeks.

The only slight issue at the moment is my menstrual cycle. It may be another month before I can tell if my period will coincide with race day and if it does, I cannot run the race.

If everything stays EXACTLY on schedule, I should be fine and good to go. However, if things get thrown off by a day here or there, I won’t be able to run the half marathon and that’s okay.

I’ve had a good run (no pun intended) being able to run the Long Island half four years in a row so if I can’t this year because of my period, then I guess I can’t.

As you may recall, I can’t run a race during my period.

I have fainted in the past (more than once) during my time of the month. I had to drop out in the middle of running the Fitness Magazine half in 2014 because I didn’t feel well, not realizing until after that my period started while I was running the race.

We all have our limitations and this is one I don’t like to mess with!

Speaking of my time of the month, every time I try to wear my black high boots during my period or during the PMS time right before, I struggle to zip my black boots up my calves.

Monday night was no exception. In fact, I almost had to leave for the city (work event) with my left boot only half zipped.

The bloat is real people, the bloat is real.

I started feeling that overall bloated feeling on Sunday. You know, the whole I am a sausage stuffed in my clothing feeling? I knew I didn’t look it but I sure as heck felt it.

Well, my boots not zipping is surely proof that we really do bloat during PMS.

It’s NOT just in our heads.

I always laugh at the fact that my boots get too tight during my time of the month while knowing I would FREAK if it was the waist of my pants unable to zip. Every time I have this thought though, I realize how ridiculous it is.

Like, why does my lower leg not phase me but higher up in the leg/waist would cause an issue? Something to think about and something I have written about (in this body image post).

I totally laughed about my boot situation on Monday and texted Amanda (our thinking out loud host) so we could laugh together.

text

Amanda and I always joke about needing to drink more water as if hydration will solve every problem in life. But seriously, I am basically drowning in tea and it didn’t solve my bloating issue this month.

I broke my rule on taking selfies in mirrors (I really HATE selfies especially when one takes a picture of themselves and you see the phone) but I felt it was my duty to show the world that my boots did in fact zip up eventually.

And hey, there’s my new black bag!

black boots

On This Day:

2/16/16: New Running Playlist

2/16/15: Cast Iron Skillet Baked Oatmeal

2/16/14: Easy French Toast

2/16/13: Saturday Treadmill Run & Confession

The bloat is real #thinkingoutloud #PMS #running #halfmarathon #boots #onthisday Click To Tweet

Anyone else ever unable to zip their boots?!

How do you feel about the selfies that show the phone in the mirror?

When is your next race?

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Mile by Mile February 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Ive never noticed my calves swelling but I definitely notice the bloat in my stomach. Hopefully your cycle will stay the same and you can run the half…if you decide that you want to!
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…Cardio and Strength Interval WorkoutMy Profile

• Julie @ Running in a Skirt February 16, 2017, 8:17 am

Oh no!!! How annoying! I hope it works out for you. I don’t faint, but I do feel pretty crappy.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Creamy Cauliflower Mac & CheeseMy Profile

• Emily February 16, 2017, 9:24 am

so true. the bloat is real; I’m thankful for sweat pants and comfy clothes during that time. :o) And I don’t mind selfies with phones in the mirror. If that’s the only way we can do it, then go right ahead! 🙂
    Emily recently posted…Saying ‘No’ to the Food Police! (Podcast #4) – Nicole’s StoryMy Profile

• Suzy February 16, 2017, 10:47 am

I don’t own fancy boots like that! I’m thinking that I probably should! Although all I ever wear are leggings and running shoes. Gah. I think I own one dress and one pair of heels for that once every two years night out!
    Suzy recently posted…OverboardMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 16, 2017, 11:33 am

the good thing about not having fancy boots is not having to deal with them not zipping during your time of the month. ha!

• Sarah @pickyrunner February 16, 2017, 10:56 am

I really thought you were losing it yesterday until it happened to me last night haha I feel like I would have freaked out in the past, but now I’m kind of just like meh everything will balance out eventually. Although it would be nice if it wasn’t such a struggle getting my Hunter rainboots on and off…

• Sean @ The Veggie Voller February 16, 2017, 11:30 am

I never really thought about it but sometimes my calves do swell and I cant get my boots on. I just always assumed it was from the gym but my period would totally make sense! Kudos to you for knowing your limits! I wish everyone was able to do this like you!
    Sean @ The Veggie Voller recently posted…TOLT 5- So Close Yet So FarMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 16, 2017, 11:33 am

aw thanks 🙂 so my calves definitely get bigger from workouts but I totally notice the difference during my time of the month! it’s so funny but also so annoying!

• Krista @ Gringita February 16, 2017, 3:32 pm

I haven’t run a race in so long (like.. I can’t remember the last one..) and I would like to but there have just not be any convenient to me recently!
    Krista @ Gringita recently posted…Wednesday WordsMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes February 16, 2017, 3:51 pm

The bloat is so real! Back when I didn’t work from home, I would wear wrap dresses on my period because everything else felt too snug. I always would bloat around the waist and thighs more than calves, though.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Dig DeepMy Profile

• Michele February 17, 2017, 10:03 am

Sometimes I think my calves are permanently bloated! Seriously I’m not sure why but I actually notice on the days when they’re not bloated. And I agree if it were my waist I might not be laughing it off so easily 🙂
    Michele recently posted…Paleo Almond Butter Banana Muffins with FlaxseedMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

I am struggling with the hydration this week, mainly because I have a cold and because Ave is going through a growth spurt. I can’t keep up no matter how much water I consume. Ah.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Postpartum Depression and AnxietyMy Profile

• Marissa @ Run Riss Run February 17, 2017, 4:11 pm

LOL, I have huge calves to begin with. My cross country kids comment on them all the time.

My next race is a 1/2 marathon on 2/25! I’m praying that my IT band and knee hold up okay. It’s like it does okay for easier runs, but anything super fast, hilly, or long kills me.
    Marissa @ Run Riss Run recently posted…Friday Favs!My Profile