Don’t Mess With My Running Routine (workout recap)

We runners all have our routines.

My weekday runs are one thing as the mornings can be a bit rushed but my long run day? Don’t mess with that routine.

Now, I am totally fine if I have to switch my long run day or even adjust my distance but the routine part of my long run morning (run – > shower – > eat) leaves no room for interference in the form of human interaction.

On a good day I feel this way but especially on a long run day, PLEASE do not try to look at me, speak to me or be anywhere near me until after I have showered and eaten my post-long run breakfast.

Everyone knows this.

Imagine my reaction when I walked into my house yesterday morning after a not so easy 13 miles in the chilly air to find my son in my kitchen mixing together ingredients to BAKE A CAKE.

Do you think I wanted to clean the kitchen after running 13 miles?

Do you think I was up for speaking before my shower and breakfast to say what the heck are you doing up and about already so early on a Saturday morning?

Why is every light on?

What are you mixing together at this hour?

What do you mean you are going to bake a cake before breakfast?

Why are you doing this to me on my long run day?

Doing what he wanted to know. What did he do?

What did he do? WHAT DID HE DO?

Maybe one day if he becomes a runner he will understand what he did.

a look at my week in workouts including running and pure barre

Monday – Pure Barre/6 Miles

Even though I ran 6 miles on Sunday which is a day I do not normally run, I was full of energy with an overall average pace that was super comfortable at 8:54.

Pure Barre Tone in 10: Thighs & Seat

Tuesday – 8 Miles

Another great run in the fresh morning air! I had zero plans for these miles other than to run where I was comfortable which turned out again to be anywhere in the 8:00 min mile range.

Wednesday – Pure Barre/4 Miles

I started my morning with Pure Barre Mile High Series (35 minutes) and then headed outside for 4 easy miles. Although I ran easy, I ended up with negative splits:  10:33, 9:28, 9:10, 9:06

Thursday – 8 Miles

My wonderful week of running continues! Overall average pace: 8:36

Friday – Pure Barre/3 Miles

I was starting to feel my week of workouts by today so after Pure Barre Studio Series (45 minutes in length but I skipped part of the thigh section) I ran 3 slow miles which came in right under 30 minutes.

Pure Barre from home

Saturday – 13 Miles

It was 30 degrees and the weather people on the news were making it sound so cold that I bundled up for the first time this season (hat, gloves, neck warmer and jacket) but I removed the neck warmer by mile two and my gloves by mile five.

My legs were tired from the week and my feet were bothering me because my Adidas Energy Boosts are shot.

According to my blog, I bought this pair of Energy Boosts at the beginning of August as this photo is dated August 3, 2016. Ugh!! Time sure flies when you run a lot of miles!

Adidas Energy Boosts

I knew I would be due for a new pair right around now but I was hoping to somehow last a little bit longer. No such luck.

I ended up switching my shoes at mile 5 because I was that uncomfortable and immediately felt better once I put on my Saucony Rides.

Sunday – Definitely Not Running!

Making the decision to run last Sunday on a day that I don’t normally run was great and all but without that day off from running, I have now run every day for like two weeks which is way too much! I definitely started to feel the mileage by the end of this week and DEFINITELY realize that six days of running in one week is more than enough for me.

we runners have our routines! #workoutrecap #running #purebarre #routine #adidas Click To Tweet

How do you feel about speaking in the morning, especially before you have had breakfast?

How many days a week of running is best for you?

Are you due for new running shoes? What do you feel when you know it’s time for a new pair?

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Mile by Mile November 13, 2016, 7:01 am

I am ok with talking before breakfast but not before coffee! Right now 3 days of running is working well for me. This week I pushed it to 4 and Im not sure if that was why I struggled yesterday but I just felt like my legs didnt want to move. I havent been good about tracking my running shoes but I guess with running so much less they will last me alot longer!
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…Running and Blogging Frustrations of the MonthMy Profile

• Caroline November 13, 2016, 8:05 am

I’m usually fine speaking the minute I wake up. I’m the most annoyingly peppy person in the morning! I usually like to run about 4 days a week, but there is often some give or take depending on how I’m feeling/what’s going on in my non-running life. I ran my marathon yesterday, so no running will be happening for at least a week. However, I’m excited to get back to some of my other favorite cross-training activities!
    Caroline recently posted…Friday Five/Favorite Pre-Race Rituals!My Profile

• lauren November 13, 2016, 8:38 am

So funny about baking a cake before breakfast! I feel your pain…cleaning up after a run or workout of any kind when you didn’t anticipate it, is not fun! Did he actually MAKE and eat the cake?

I wish I ran more….I have good weeks with 4 or 5 days and then weeks with 2 runs. I like to do yoga and orange theory–fitting it all in is hard sometimes! I am always amazed by how much you can run! Wish I could:)))
    lauren recently posted…Friday Favorites–But on a Monday!My Profile

• Suzy November 13, 2016, 9:56 am

Ahhh I hate it when the kids start messing around in the kitchen. It’s one of my pet peeves! I know we’re supposed to be letting them learn and teaching them how to cook and bake and survive on their own, but sometimes it stresses me out to the MAX. Nice job on all those runs! You’re a machine!
    Suzy recently posted…I’m Just a Poo BloggerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 13, 2016, 10:06 am

exactly! major stress when they toy around the kitchen so you can imagine my reaction when I walked in the door after running for two hours! I was wild! lol

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes November 13, 2016, 10:16 am

I’m fine talking to people after my run – usually gladly will even since running puts me in a good mood and wakes me up. I usually run 5 days per week but sometimes 6 if we’re not hiking or anything else on the weekends.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…My Favorite Foods to Make from ScratchMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 13, 2016, 3:23 pm

I’m totally one of those annoyingly peppy morning people – I literally wake up and jump out of bed, ready to go. Just don’t ask me to do anything in the afternoon when I’m slumping 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…snickerdoodle overnight oatmeal smoothieMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 14, 2016, 2:28 pm

I am peppy in the morning but as I get older, I really want nothing to do with most people until after at least 9 am lol

• michele @ paleorunningmomma November 13, 2016, 7:21 pm

I definitely don’t like talking before running in the morning, but once I’m back anything is fair game. And I’m used to walking into chaos I guess, as long as I’ve gotten the run in undisturbed I can’t complain 🙂
    michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Easy Paleo Pesto Baked Chicken {Whole30}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 14, 2016, 2:27 pm

I am fine during the week but after my long run, I really need to be left the heck alone until after I shower and eat 🙂 Baking cakes in my kitchen cannot happen before that!