Call Me The Carb Queen

Just call me the carb queen.

It’s not that I don’t normally eat so many carbohydrates since my diet is pretty much carb-focused, it’s just that right now, I AM ALL CARB-FOCUSED.

I am feeling so much better since being sick but what I eat is still on the mend. Vegetables are basically off limits at the moment as is most fruit too.

I am a runner’s dream right now.

We are talking oatmeal, bananas, bagels, large baked potatoes and…um, yeah. That’s about it.

Needless to say, this What I Ate Wednesday post is a bit boring and bland but that’s how I like things right now. In fact, I happen to love what I have been eating!

The diet of mine has made for some amazing running these last few days, that I can tell you. My legs have never felt so fresh and free!

Breakfast:

I can’t really say that breakfast is out of the ordinary. My pre-run small breakfast is still mashed banana with a little bit of oatmeal.

oatmeal with banana

After my eight mile run yesterday morning, I had another bowl of oatmeal with banana which looked similar to this one only I also added Skoop to pretend I care about protein plus like four frozen blueberries. Those were the first bites of fruit that I have had other than a banana since last week!

Lunch:

When I tell you that I am obsessed with Stew Leonard’s french toast bagels, I mean it.

My favorite way to eat a french toast bagel is to buy it super fresh and then toast it real good. It makes the outside crispier yet the center is still a little doughy and the powdered sugar is still fresh on top. Real bagel connoisseurs will tell you that toasting a fresh bagel is a sin, just like asking for ketchup in a steakhouse but I don’t care.

A bit of raspberry jelly plus eggs to complete my french toast bagel sandwich. If I spoke in hashtags, this is where I would say #inlove.

french toast bagel

Dinner:

Dinner has been focused around large baked potatoes lately. I switched the last two nights from baking a big potato to dicing it up into wedges and baking them in the oven for a super long time to create these crispy oven baked fries.

I would say to achieve such crispiness you gotta have enough patience to leave the fries in the oven for about an hour at 450 degrees.

super crispy oven baked fries

With a bowl of this Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper soup from Trader Joe’s on the side so you can dip the baked fries in the soup < – I am obsessed.

roasted red papper tomtato soup and baked fries

Dessert:

This is where I am struggling. I just can’t eat peanut butter yet. I even tried last night and within one bite, I gagged so that was that. I put the jar away.

I bought a few honey crisp apples and tried to eat one plain but bleh, I really didn’t enjoy it.

We have Multigrain Cheerios in the house so sometimes I pick at those but I didn’t want those either last night. I just sort of paced around the kitchen looking for a snack but nothing at all appealed to me. It was sad.

Just call me the carb queen! #wiaw #bagels @stewleonards #carbs #runner Click To Tweet

My Quick and Easy Plant Based Stir Fry Giveaway is eneding this week! Be sure to enter for the chance to a win a $100 Visa Gift Card!

What have you been loving to eat lately?

{ 31 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 28, 2016, 5:48 am

It’s pretty sad that you weren’t able to find any evening snacks that you wanted! But at least you are enjoying all your food throughout the day. Those fries look like they are roasted perfectly! And I don’t like to toast fresh bagels if they are really good ones from NY. Here, even the freshest bagels usually need to be toasted.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Hypermobility and Increased Injury Risk for RunnersMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2016, 5:59 am

I think you need to take a ton of bagels home every time you are back here and keep them in the freezer so you always have decent bagels on hand! I am the worst for toasting our bagels but sometimes, I just can’t help it. I like the make the outside even crispier.

• Gretchen September 28, 2016, 7:18 am

Mmm that bagel looks soo good! I’ve been really obsessed with veggie burgers lately and trying out different brands and homemade ones…such a yummy dinner or lunch 🙂
    Gretchen recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Skinny Coconut OilMy Profile

• Liz @ I heart vegetables September 28, 2016, 7:51 am

When I’m not feeling 100%, I crave the same types of foods. Sometimes all I want are just plain crackers!

I don’t think I’ve tried that soup yet (but I have TJ’s black bean soup in my pantry right now!) but I love the idea of having it with potato wedges!
    Liz @ I heart vegetables recently posted…What I Ate: Tuesday’s MealsMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes September 28, 2016, 8:26 am

I am obsessed with roasted potatoes and squash right now. My body wants carbs! It’s frustrating when you want a snack but nothing sounds good. Especially when food as good as apples and PB doesn’t sound good!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…5 Dynamic Warm Ups for RunnersMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2016, 5:06 am

yeah, apples and peanut butter are still no. unfortunately I may have ruined my love for butternut squash as well with this virus but roasted potatoes are still working for me! have a great time this weekend!

• Lizzie Royer September 28, 2016, 8:28 am

Why do I love Jap sweet potatoes so much. I swear I am addicted. I always have one with dinner…

• rachel @ athletic avocado September 28, 2016, 8:28 am

I’m actually going to buy those bagels since we have a Stew Leonards not too far away, those sound EPIC! It’s crazy how awesome good quality carbs can make you feel, that’s why I could never go low carb lol!
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Chia Seed Jam {Vegan + Paleo}My Profile

• Suzy September 28, 2016, 9:04 am

I hate stomach bugs and how much they mess with the system! Sometimes I’ll have a certain food aversion for life (like cheese sauce… YUCK). Hope you’re feeling back to normal soon!
    Suzy recently posted…Rock Bottom GirlMy Profile

• Patricia @Sweet and Strong September 28, 2016, 9:38 am

Sometimes you just need those carbs. I definitely get serious bagel cravings occasionally. A French toast bagel sounds delicious right now!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Broccoli Slaw with Apples and Greek Yogurt DressingMy Profile

• Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian September 28, 2016, 9:59 am

That bagel looks pretty delicious. I completely understand about the carbs when you’re not feeling good. They always seem to make me feel better too!
    Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted…Play! by Sephora | September 2016My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2016, 5:05 am

I’m obsessed with the French toast bagels right now. one a day until I no longer want it lol. which may never happen!

• lauren September 28, 2016, 10:16 am

I have made this simple mills almond flour bread (from a box) that is so TASTY! I don’t normally make bread—but this is easy and yum!

All your food looks good–especially the crispy potatoes!!
    lauren recently posted…Friday Favorites–But on a Monday!My Profile

• Emily September 28, 2016, 11:14 am

All of those carbs sound like a really good way to fuel running; I hope you can eat nut butter soon! But just keep going with what your body is telling you; maybe it’s still recovering.

THAT BAGEL? YES!
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Count Blessings Over CaloriesMy Profile

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness September 28, 2016, 3:19 pm

I love making homemade fries, and I also dig that TJ’s soup! I always have a few of their soups on hand for nights when I need to throw a dinner together super quick.

I’m a healthy dessert queen! Have you tried eating a bit of dark chocolate (with strawberries is awesome), Yasso frozen Greek Yogurt bars, or keeping some homemade muffins on hand for a little something sweet? Those are a few of my go-to ideas!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…A Day in the Life: Workouts, Health Coaching, & Running Out of GroceriesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2016, 5:03 am

I love this soup from tj, it’s definitely my fave which is nice since I am really not a soup lover! it’s probably the only soup I will eat unless I am sick and go for the matzoh ball soup 🙂

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 28, 2016, 3:50 pm

Hey Carb Queen. Can I be the Carb Princess? 🙂
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Healthy Oatmeal Raisin MuffinsMy Profile

• michele @ paleorunningmomma September 28, 2016, 8:50 pm

Love those oven baked fries! I feel like I can almost taste them, lol!
    michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Sleep Update and OSO Mattress ReviewMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2016, 5:02 am

they are seriously so good when I leave them in the oven for an hour, I just have to have patience!

• Arthi September 29, 2016, 10:41 am

That bagel looks so delicious. #goodwork
    Arthi recently posted…Monday Night Confessions – Part 72.My Profile

• Sophie October 2, 2016, 10:07 am

Cool post, makes me crave carbs haha. I’m on a cut right now so not too many carbs. But a great way to fuel your runs! Currently I’m more into fitness, but I switch it up from time to time 🙂 those roasted potatoes seem so good. Never tried them with soup though, I’ll be trying that next time!
    Sophie recently posted…How to find time for sports with a full time jobMy Profile

• Casey the College Celiac October 3, 2016, 12:38 am

I am definitely a carboholic! And that bagel looks amazing…