Love my job, major dessert, keeping my hair from sweating (TOL)

thinking out loud

Remember those amazing blueberry walnut whole wheat pancakes I had at the diner on Sunday which I shared in Monday’s post? Well, the Premier Diner was listed this week as one of the top places for pancakes on Long Island in this article which reconfirmed that my taste buds know what’s up.

I sort of feel jet lagged with my bunny away. Again, bunny is my son’s nickname, you know, like Benjamin Bunny?

I have lost concept of the time on the clock because the hours don’t mean what they normally mean. I don’t need to wake my baby up for school or camp, I don’t have my afternoon cut off time when I normally switch from work mode back to mom mode because I am not needed to pick up from school or camp, not even needed to make dinner or drive to afternoon activities. I don’t even need to talk all that much if I don’t feel like it.

I was able to go to the grocery store whenever I wanted to go the other day. Morning, afternoon, evening, it didn’t matter.

The last 12 years of every hour of every day have involved motherly duties coming before anything else in life. I know my son often goes with his dad for a day or two and even enjoys staying over by my parents’ house regularly but this, this whole being away FOR A FEW WEEKS is just plain weird.

In fact, it may or may not have triggered a momentary midlife crisis with the realization that my bunny will leave for college in only five years from right now.

Okay stop. New thought process needed.

Live from the Red Carpet, look at me!

IMG_8316 (2)

We (we, as in AllSeated) had a majorly awesome Red Carpet Event at the Melrose Ballroom last night. Majorly awesome is the best way to describe this event especially since many of the 200 guests in attendance were not only saying the same thing but calling it the best event that they have attended in the industry in years.

Perhaps it had something to do with the eight dessert displays positioned around the room.

dessert display at AllSeated event

Do you see why I love my job?

I moved from dessert display to dessert display so the bartenders didn’t notice that yes, I was sampling every dessert available.

I think this was the chocolate covered cream puff. Or maybe it was life-size ring ding. I don’t know. I just know that both were amazing and everything I ate was worth every single bite.

chocolate covered cream puff

I had my hair highlighted and blown out on Tuesday which meant I needed to keep my sweat while running to a minimum yesterday morning so that my hair would still look nice come event time.

I made the decision to run indoors and easy on the treadmill (following this treadmill workout) to avoid the extra heat and humidity outside. I also put my hair in a tight bun using my Islanders scrunchie and left the usual lululemon headband off to avoid creases at the front of my hairline.

Islanders scrunchie

I don’t know that this hair arrangement will work for an outdoor hard or long run in the heat but I may give it a try because it was an indoor success.

Oh wait! I didn’t tell you!

Since I have the freedom to come and go as I please at any hour of the day and night at the moment, I finally secured my spot in a Pure Barre Platform class for tomorrow morning!! It’s at an early time but I will be up and ready.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

midlife crisis, love my job, best desserts ever #thinkingoutloud #dessert #motherhood #AllSeated #eventplanning @AllSeated @runwithspoons @MelroseBallroom Click To Tweet

Have you tried Pure Barre Platform yet? What did you think?

Did you used to like ring dings and those types of snack cakes?

How do you keep your hair from sweating when you work out?

Comments

1. says

When my children went away in the summer I quickly realized that I better find a happy daily routine to fill the heavy void of not having them and their schedules for my daily routine. At that time I worked as a way to fill my empty time, but had tailored my schedule to be home at two to greet them everyday and then little-by-little, sports and other activities brought them home later and later. My husband taught me roots and wings and you will always be best friends with your children. Was he ever right. I have fallen into a daily two hour routine of yoga at a studio every morning, running through the park and working when I want to and my daughter lives across the street and my son lives twenty blocks away. They both call me multiple times a day and I see them socially, at their request several times per week and weekend. You have a full, awesome life and a wonderful son reap the harvest you have sown and soak it all in. Focus on a daily schedule that fulfills you and rest your body also. You will find this stage to be fulfilling if you embrace it with a positive mindset.

• says

I loved little Debbie cakes. my friend’s mom used to keep them in the house and we ate them every afternoon after school when I went home with her off the bus. finest memories from childhood lol

2. says

I used to LOVE Zebra Cakes. I haven’t had one in a very long time but I think I’d love them just as much today.

There is no good way to keep sweat away! I’ve tried so many headbands and I always seem to end up with sweat in my eyes during a hot, humid Saturday long run. It’s the worst.
    Arthi recently posted…Advice From A Tree – Shared by Usha.My Profile

3. says

We don’t have ring dings up in Canada. We used to have Twinkies and King Dons but they got banned or something. Those desserts look AMAZING. It would be really weird to be away from Benjamin for that long. I just wrote a post about it actually, about how being a mother doesn’t make us lose our identity as individuals–it adds to our identity. Ha I dunno. Something like that lol!
    Suzy recently posted…IdentifyMy Profile

• says

gosh I used to love ring dings! I still have to read your post today! for sure I am so much more than a mom but gosh it’s weird when my son isn’t around for so many days! I am used to weekends on my own but this is a long time, especially since I can’t talk to him!

4. says

Oh man,I seriously don’t know whatI will do with myself when my boys go to school or camp or really anything. My oldest is only 2, but I’ve never really been away from him except for when Iw as in the hospital having another baby, ha! the idea of being able to make random plans or just go out really quick day or night sounds so foreign!
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #10My Profile

• says

i really think the process of raising our kids goes in such stages that as they gradually get older, it just happens that we naturally sort of separate as they get more independent. I couldn’t image ever sending my son to school or letting him take the bus when he was baby but once it was time, as much as i wasn’t okay, i was okay 🙂

5. says

I have such a love hate relationship with those dessert displays. I love them because, obviously, they’re dessert and I have a massive sweet tooth. But I hate them because 9 times out of 10 I can’t eat anything because of my allergies. Major womp, womp. And would you believe that I’ve never had a Twinkie or Ding Dong or any of those other Hostess things??
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…what was this doing in my toilet?!?! (ToL#193)My Profile

• says

no, I can’t believe you never had those as a kid. I think you need to get a box one day. I don’t think they taste as amazing as they did way back when, but still, you need the experience!

6. says

I’ve never tried Barre classes, but I’ve been wanting to do a Barre workout, because I’ve seen so many positive reviews. And those towers of doughnuts were totally making me crave doughnuts yesterday. We actually got doughnuts last night! I do love cream puffs, but I would probably usually choose a bowl of ice cream over cake.
    Emily recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: Why Emotions Aren’t BadMy Profile

7. says

I really liked the Little Debbie Nutty Bars. I think that’s where my deep love for peanut butter in combination with chocolate started. I applaud you for figuring out a way to run without getting your hair sweaty. I cut my hair pretty short recently which at least makes it faster to wash and dry but trying to keep it non-sweaty is an exercise in futility!
    Caroline M recently posted…Marathon Weight Gain (Is Fine by Me) & WIAW #6My Profile