lunch with Michele at Bloomingdales, beach day & really good salads

My weekend can be summed up in salads, summer weather and a really fun day with Michele at Bloomingdales. Let’s take a look!

We are definitely regulars at Chopt. Do I love it? It’s not my most favorite place to have a salad but my son is obsessed.

chopt salad

In the Chopt Mix:

• Romaine/Spinach
  • Beets
  • Roasted Butternut Squash
  • Charred Onions
  • Quinoa
  • Avocado
  • Tomatoes

I was up early for Saturday’s long run since I wanted to meet Michele in the city by 11:00 am the latest. I don’t like to rush my workouts so I made sure I gave myself enough time to run at a leisurely pace (workout recap here if you missed it) and then enjoy my post-run oats in a jar.

post run oats in a jar

Michele is a lot nicer than I am. She made it to the city and parked her car a few minutes ahead of me yet waited outside Bloomingdales rather than go inside to start shopping as I would have done if I arrived first.

michele

Lunch at the Bloomingdales’ restaurant, Forty Carrots meant frozen yogurt for me. Some days I do crave real food for lunch after a long run but most of the time, sweet is what I want.

Besides, it’s really hard to pass up Forty Carrots frozen yogurt because I have always loved it so much. I would say half of the Forty Carrots menu features the various frozen yogurt meal options and toppings which means I am not the only one who eats frozen yogurt for lunch in this world.

I went with the fruit salad served with plain and chocolate frozen yogurt plus a side of chocolate chips.

forty carrots lunch

It was awesome catching up with Michele over lunch while shopping. We weren’t sure at first where we would meet for lunch, we just knew we were meeting somewhere in the city. When I said let’s do Bloomingdales, there was no turning back from that idea! So much fun.

The two of us fools attempted a few selfies in the handbag department. It was pretty funny.

michele and me

Even better is that Bloomingdales isn’t crowded on a sunny Saturday in the summer since most people leave the city on the weekend in favor of the beach.

city

The traffic heading into the city and even driving in the city was nice and light yet my ride home was horrendous. I guess there were some people who didn’t exit the city on Friday (Friday afternoon beach traffic heading east is usually the worst) so it took me almost TWO HOURS to get home.

I was back in time for dinner at the East Bay diner. I love their giant Portobello mushroom and avocado salad. We also ordered onion rings but I didn’t get a picture.

diner salad

We ended up at the beach on Sunday which wasn’t the original plan but I am not complaining.

It was gorgeous outside, the humidity was low and the people watching was on point.

beach

We had lunch at Gino’s and I think I will be recreating this cranberry, candied walnut and goat cheese salad at home. I used to make salads like this but there was something about this specific one that was legendary.

It might have been the ratio of each ingredient. I will figure it out!

cranberry, walnut and goat cheese salad

Oh right, there was a Cold Stone thrown into my weekend too. I didn’t love it though. I have a feeling the fudge brownie yogurt was freezer burned. I ate it anyway but with each bite, I sort of tasted that freezer taste. The cookie dough chunks were delicious though.

cold stone sundae

We are leaving for Hershey Park tomorrow! I haven’t fully decided my posting schedule while we are there. I have a fun post planned for tomorrow and maybe one more to share this week too. I am going to try to pop in though from Hershey to say hi but in the meantime, be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter as I will probably update those most!

Have a great week. 🙂

weekend fun on the blog today! #lunch #weekend #salads #bloomingdales, #nyc #beach #coldstone #fortycarrots @paleorunningmomma Click To Tweet

Best thing you ate over the weekend?

Favorite salad topping combo?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

Comments

• says

amazing how you move just a little bit further away and the beach becomes impossible and a real destination. such a great time! we will do it again soon! I thought of you yesterday when I got the cranberry walnut salad after we just talked about it lol

1. says

Seems like you had a great weekend filled with amazing eats! I had Chopt over the weekend, too but the best thing I ate was a bleu cheese soufflé and a pesto and goat cheese flatbread that I shared with friends at a local tapas place.
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…Currently: JuneMy Profile

2. Lizzie says

I love what you got for lunch at Bloomingdales! Fresh fruit, fro yo, and chocolate chips, YUM! My favorite salad topping other than grilled chicken or shrimp is snap peas right now! This morning I got in my normal 8 miler. Have fun in Hershey, I grew up not too far from there so I have been there several times. (If you are looking for a yummy treat, Chocolate World’s milkshakes are a must!)

• says

we love chocolate world! I actually want to get the baked oatmeal that I had there a few years ago. I remember it so perfectly! so many good desserts to choose from, I don’t know what I will do with myself lol

3. says

Looks like a fun weekend!

Nothing wrong with froyo for lunch! That’s what I did yesterday and it was the best thing I consumed all weekend. Menchie’s frozen yogurt – cake batter + salted caramel with a little granola on top.

Workout for the day – 60 minute sculpt class at CorePower. Kicks my butt every time!
    Arthi recently posted…15 Scenes From The Weekend.My Profile

4. says

I love the froyo at 40 carrots, so good and the portions are generous! I was one of the people getting out on Friday for the weekend so totally missed the empty Park Avenue sight on a summer Saturday, but it is familiar. So different to during the week with the stream of people in suits heading downtown for work.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 6/20-6/27My Profile

5. says

Such a great weekend! I could go for frozen yogurt for lunch. Genius idea. And the side of chocolate chips and fruit? Perfection. Boston was so packed this weekend even though so many people head to the Cape. I don’t understand it. I certainly would prefer to spend my weekends in RI which is what I did for about half the weekend. City traffic is the WORST.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Workouts 6/20-6/26My Profile

6. says

The best thing I ate has got to be some mint chocolate Nada Moo. Nothin’s better than ice cream in the summer! You’ve got me craving some fresh salad now too. Fruit is my #1 must for salad toppings. The sweet taste they add transforms leafy greens. For workouts this week, to take the stress out of planning, I’m doing Fitness Blender’s 5 Day Strong and Lean Challenge with maybe a few easy runs, walks, or yoga thrown in there. Hope you have an amazing week!

xxMeah
    Meah recently posted…Sweaty Saturday #5 Week’s Workouts RecapMy Profile

7. says

What a lovely weekend (minus the traffic!)! I love seeing bloggers meet up. There’s something fun and kind of weird (in a good way) about it, like seeing your teacher at the grocery store. All your salads look so great too. I’m craving a sweet salad like that cranberry walnut one. I’ll have to recreate for myself!
    Caroline M recently posted…WIAW #4: Packed Lunch EditionMy Profile