Birthday Weekend 2016

I love birthdays! Thank you all so much for your birthday comments, emails and messages. So super sweet 🙂

I know we are all waiting to hear what I finally decided for my birthday cake. Let’s talk about the rest of the weekend a bit first and then I promise, cake details!

The Workouts:

I recapped Saturday morning’s SoulCycle & Pure Barre birthday party in yesterday’s post but I am sharing the photo of Dina and me from Pure Barre again because it makes me so happy.

pure barre

I am thrilled to say that Saturday’s double workout did not leave me sore at all (other than in my seat area from sitting on the darn spin bike but you know I have tush issues so did you expect anything less?) so I was able to happily run my birthday miles yesterday morning.

I have gotten in the habit over the last few years of going for a nice run on my birthday as my way of relaxing < – only a runner would say running 11 miles on her birthday is relaxing.

Coffee in bed after my run = One of my favorite weekend routines.

birthday mug

The Food & Fun:

Lots of good food this weekend! After Pure Barre on Saturday, Dina and I refueled at Gabby’s Bagels. Since my body is so crazy routine, I craved my usual oatmeal with berries post workout and talked Dina into the same. When she added egg whites to her order, I went along with that plan too, plus iced coffee. I can’t stop thinking about the iced coffee from Gabby’s, it was really so good.

post workout breakfast

One of my favorite things to do for my birthday is treat myself to a special pedicure. What I mean by special is that each year on my birthday, I not only get a manicure and pedicure but go with one of the more involved pedicure options which includes extra treatments and a longer massage. I did the lavender spa pedicure this year and it was worth every extra dollar. So relaxing.

Essie’s Forget Me Knots on my toes which matches nicely with my sandals.

pedicure

I didn’t do a great job Saturday night taking pictures of dinner. After dropping my son off at a Bar Mitzvah party, we went to Spuntino, a restaurant I had never been to but looked tasty enough AND is located next to Chocolate Works and Carlo’s Bakery (which is the main reason I selected this restaurant).

dinner at spuntino

We ordered lots of tapas type plates of food – salad, roasted cauliflower, roasted brussels sprouts, pizzas and I forget what else – there was definitely something else. And wine. I hardly ever drink but sometimes I do order a glass of wine.

Carlos Bakery did not have a good selection of dessert (well, in my opinion) so I went with some chocolate and M&Ms from Chocolate Works.

m&m's

Quick peak in the box of half eaten chocolates: dark chocolate covered pretzels with M&M’s, chocolate covered marshmallows, some sort of chocolate covered peanut butter thing and chocolate caramels (not my choice but of course I tasted them).

chocolates

I was surprised by my son yesterday on my birthday with an Edible Arrangement! Gosh I love chocolate covered fruit and I love that some of the fruit isn’t covered in chocolate so we can feel balanced and healthy.

It also came with a box of chocolate covered apple slices. Can you see the chocolate covered pineapple slices are disguised as cupcakes? I will have to show you those better in another post.

edible arrangement

The Birthday Cake

Okay okay let’s just discuss the birthday cake already. I didn’t get pictures from my birthday dinner last night anyway. We brought in dinner from Mother Kelly’s  at my parents house after I went shopping with my mom (at lululemon!)instead of going out  to eat – the weather here was just awful!

I am fully aware that I am completely nuts when it comes to dessert so I really have to thank my dad for putting up with me these last few weeks since he bore the brunt of my birthday cake indecisiveness. By Friday, he was answering his phone with a half hello that sort of sounded like he was afraid to hear what I might say next regarding my inability to select a cake.

But I made my decision! I really wanted to make that piñata cake with the pile of M&M’S in the middle but it was a FOUR LAYER CAKE that would have taken me FIVE HOURS to bake. No way was I spending my weekend in the kitchen.

So, instead, I had M&M’S both Friday night and Saturday night to satisfy that craving and finally chose to order one of my favorite chocolate fudge cakes from Torta Fina.

birthday cake

They call it Grandma’s Fudge Cake. It’s seriously piled and filled super high with rich chocolate fudge. I am pretty sure it’s the fudgiest cake available in the New York area.

grandma's fudge cake

You know, I think I ate a lot of chocolate this weekend. No wonder I am in such a great mood!

Previous Birthday Recaps:

Birthday 2015That time my mom took the last bite of our dessert

Birthday 2014 – Giant ice cream brownie and cookie sundae, so good!

Birthday 2013Edible Arrangements and dinner at Prime!

birthday weekend plus the cake I finally picked! #birthday #birthdayweekend #cake #birthdaycake
 Click To Tweet

How was your weekend? 3 things you did?

Have you ever had an Edible Arrangement? Which chocolate covered fruit is your favorite?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine June 6, 2016, 5:14 am

Glad you had such a good birthday weekend! Looks like you made a great decision with the cake. I love doing long runs on my birthday but its going to be awhile before my birthday falls on a weekend again (this year I think its on a Tuesday). Its usually the same weekend as the Baltimore marathon so in 2013 I ran a marathon on my bday! Todays workout will be an easy run to see how my legs are feeling after Saturdays race, and probably some core work too.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Short Week and A Humid RaceMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 5:19 am

I think I remember when you said you ran that marathon on your birthday! that’s so cool!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma June 6, 2016, 6:12 am

Happy birthday again! Looks so fun 🙂 and that choc cake looks just like one my parents buy for everyone’s birthday with more choc always being better!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Workouts, Weekend Things, Low FODMAP DietMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 9:04 am

maybe your parents get the cake from torta fina? ask them, it’s in Commack!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 6, 2016, 6:49 am

Now THOSE are some birthday treats! Chocolate works sounds like my kind of place 😀 and omg that cake… that is insanity! So glad that you had such a great weekend!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…NOW Foods Immersion and EPIC Giveaway!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 9:05 am

you would love chocolate works -every kind of chocolate and candy possible plus ice cream too should you want some with your chocolate

• Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious June 6, 2016, 7:12 am

Now that’s the kind of birthday I’m talking about! Glad you had fun and yes, my favorite thing to do on my birthday is to workout!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Tomato Chicken Gorgonzola Salad {GF, Low Cal}My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes June 6, 2016, 8:18 am

Happy birthday again! Looks like you had a great day! That fudgy cake looks like the perfect cake choice, especially the frosting on it. Frosting is my favourite part of birthday cake.
    Today’s workout will be an easy run plus Pilates, since my legs are probably a bit tired from backpacking.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Slowly but SurelyMy Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com June 6, 2016, 8:59 am

Oh. My. God. That cake looks amazing!!! So happy to hear you had an awesome birthday. My boss actually had an Edible Arrangement sent to her for her birthday this year and she shared with the office–my favorite was the chocolate covered banana pieces! I think I ate like 7, whoops.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Weekend Wrap-Up!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 9:04 am

but those chocolate bananas are so so good! I love all of the chocolate fruit 🙂

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl June 6, 2016, 10:10 am

The “cupcake” fruit slices are adorable and all the other desserts look DELICIOUS. Happiest of birthdays again!

• Meah June 6, 2016, 11:18 am

The frosting on that cake…I DIE! I think I’ll be whipping up a chocolate cake like this soon to celebrate the end of the school year because you’ve got me craving it. I also decide to workout on my birthday. I did an intense HIIT workout and it was awesome, thanks magic birthday powers ;). On today’s agenda is either some type of long fartlek/interval run or leg day.
    Meah recently posted…Sweaty Saturday #4 Hard Core in a CrunchMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 3:43 pm

I think baking a chocolate fudge cake to celebrate the end of school is a genius idea!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 6, 2016, 11:35 am

Definitely sounds like an epic birthday! Probably because of that cake – holy.SNAP does that ever look fudgy. And I’m totally with you on chocolate taking a good mood to a whole new level… I’ve been craving tonnes of it myself lately, because… reasons 😉 And do raisins count as fruit? Because that’s my favourite chocolate covered thing.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…link love 6/5My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 6, 2016, 3:43 pm

such a great cake! totally craving chocolate lately so this weekend fulfilled my cravings.

• Caroline M June 6, 2016, 3:46 pm

Happy, happy birthday! It sounds like you killed it on the dessert front. I also went on a longish run on my birthday, and it was basically the one thing I absolutely really wanted to do on my birthday. The things us runners find fun… Also I just figured out our birthdays are exactly one week apart which is kind of cool!
    Caroline M recently posted…Functioning without a “Perfect” ScheduleMy Profile

• Suzy June 7, 2016, 9:12 am

That’s really sweet that your son got you that edible arrangement for your birthday! He knows you pretty well! Glad you had such a good birthday weekend. 🙂
    Suzy recently posted…Week in Review: Public BananasMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Chocolate really does make everything better.

I love your son was the one who ordered the edible fruit arrangement. Those things are amazing. The last one I received had chocolate and caramel covered apple slices. I need to see these pineapple looking cupcakes.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: #34My Profile

• Marcia June 7, 2016, 10:22 am

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had tons of fun and celebrated in style. That cake looks amazing!

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat June 8, 2016, 4:55 pm

Sounds like a lovely birthday weekend.

And that icing. Oh man that looks amazing.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Running Recovery WeeksMy Profile