What I Ate Wednesday June 1, 2016

Oh hi June 1st, so nice to see you. 🙂

I have always loved the start of June. Mainly because my birthday is approaching but also because the weather is so nice, school is coming to an end and camp time is only a few weeks away.

I can’t tell you how happy I am each morning when I wake up. Even if I am a bit tired, just knowing the weather is warm and the sun is rising well before 6:00 am makes heading outside for my run so exciting. I feel like I am celebrating in those first steps outside in my running shoes each day simply for getting to this point in the year after what feels like I suffered through so many early morning dark and dreary winter runs.

Even with the sprinklers on these days which interfere with my running path, I think I am just happy to know that the sprinklers mean green grass which means Summer!

running path

Moving on to What I Ate Wednesday…Let’s take a look at what I ate yesterday!

Breakfast:

I have been having an extremely hard time taking pictures of the food I eat because I am usually too hungry too care what it looks like, I just care how it tastes and satisfies my appetite.

I am not a food blogger. I don’t cook to take pictures, I cook and prepare food to eat it. So, imagine my excitement when I was super hungry after my run and this post-run bowl of oatmeal with egg whites, Skoop B Strong, cinnamon and blueberries actually photographed decently!

Usually my oatmeal looks like mush in a bowl topped with cinnamon.

oatmeal

Lunch:

I hate to say that I feel myself slowly getting away from wanting to eat eggs. I have been on a roll lately with the eggs and I am still eating them because the protein serves me well but eh, I am not really in the egg mood.

I did make this spinach and onion omelette though with roasted Japanese sweet potatoes served with mashed avocado. And lots of salt. I need a lot of salt in my food in the summer to keep up with my sweaty runs.

omelette with roasted sweet potatoes

Dinner:

Salads are for dinner are becoming a routine thing around here.

In the mix: roasted brussels sprouts, onions and mushrooms, leftover Japanese sweet potatoes from lunch, feta cheese, avocado and tahini! The exclamation point is for the tahini!

I received two types of tahini from Sesame King (garlic tahini and honey tahini) which I have been playing with using over the last several days. More about the tahini maybe on Friday.

salad

Dessert:

The usual apple with some peanut butter, a sprinkle of Skoop and Trader Joe’s Midnight Moo.

apple with peanut butter and chocolate

Click here to check out what everyone else is eating today!

what I ate Wednesday #wiaw #globalrunningday #salad #eggs #tahini #sesameking @healthyskoop Click To Tweet

Are you a fan of tahini? How do you like to use it?

Do you make salads at home often?

It’s Global Running Day! Will you be running today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine June 1, 2016, 5:10 am

I won 12 jars of tahini on a blog giveaway a while back and still havent use them all! I only use it to make hummus. I don’t even know if they are good anymore. I make salads a few times a week to bring for lunch. I always wish I was more creative with them! I am going running soon- hope you have a great run today!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…What Running Has Taught Me: Global Running Day 2016My Profile

• Emily June 1, 2016, 7:35 am

I forgot how wonderful it feels to head out for a morning run, because I had been doing afternoon runs at home, but on this trip, I’ve gotten out for 2 morning runs. It’s SO quiet. I love it so much.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Personality Tests and BoxesMy Profile

• Gretchen June 1, 2016, 8:06 am

I love the taste of tahini but I’ve actually never bought it before! I only buy it already in food (like I just got this amazing dressing with tahini in it). I feel like I should experiment with the flavor a bit! And yes, I’ll be running today 🙂
    Gretchen recently posted…How I Save Money Grocery ShoppingMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes June 1, 2016, 8:35 am

I have tahini in my lunch almost daily. I whisk it with lemon juice and then drizzle it over my salad or power bowl. Hope you have a great run today!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Why Do You Run? {Global Running Day 2016}My Profile

• Faith VanderMolen June 1, 2016, 9:07 am

Tahini has become one of my favorite condiments, even though I didn’t like it at first. I love making a quick salad dressing by mixing together 1 T tahini + juice of half a lemon + water. Also, tahini and maple syrup on sweet potatoes is amazing!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl June 1, 2016, 9:32 am

NYRR had lots of tents in the park this morning to celebrate GRD! Had to let my boyfriend know what was up…he will do the 6:20am runs but does not promise to be awake until mile 3 or 4 out of 5 lol.

I crave salads as a main dinner way more in summer because I need the hydration from all the veggies!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #58: Eat Your Meat and GreensMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma June 1, 2016, 9:32 am

I never buy tahini but always look at it in the store, maybe need to actually start using it 🙂 love that combo of egg, avocado and roasted sweet potato. Add in some meat (for me!) and I’d survive on that.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Paleo Meals and Banana Invasion {Recipe Sneak Peak!}My Profile

• Shannon June 1, 2016, 9:36 am

I have never tried tahini! It seems to be the new trend though so I’ll have to get some!
    Shannon recently posted…Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Whipped Cream FrostingMy Profile

• Anne June 1, 2016, 10:12 am

I hear you on the weather! It’s finally nice here in DC, too, and I’ve been able to run outside! On the tahini–I like it, but I never actually put it in hummus, which I think is what you are supposed to use it for. I put it on sweet potatoes and vegetables, and I made chocolate chip cookies with it once (sounds weird, but they were fantastic).

• Suzy June 1, 2016, 10:15 am

I have to put extra salt on everything in the summer too. We must be salty sweaters!
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Every Last DropMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner June 1, 2016, 10:53 am

I’m LOVING the early morning runs again. It’s so much easier when it’s light out already! I’m not tired when I wake up because the sun being out makes me feel like it’s later than it is. I haven’t been good about meals lately with the move, but I’m so happy to eat my salads and roasted potatoes when I can. They’re just so good.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Final Baltimore WeekendMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 1, 2016, 5:55 pm

Hey I had a salad last night too, and with my CSA starting next week, I’m pretty sure salads are going to become a thing over here too. That is if I can find the time. Cross those fingers for me.

I’m glad you’re getting to enjoy those nice summer morning runs. Sure beats the wintertime.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: (#33)My Profile

• Ellie June 1, 2016, 8:55 pm

Happy Global Running Day! This is probably the first year I’m not running. I’m recovering from a race. But ya’ll inspire me! I just got some Brussels sprouts, any recipes?
    Ellie recently posted…WIAW: Marathon EatingMy Profile