What I Ate Wednesday 5.25.16

Before we get to what I ate yesterday…

What I Ate Wednesday posts are just here to showcase what others eat and perhaps give you some new ideas when it comes to your own meals. The important thing to remember though is that you must do what works for you, not what works for someone else. As always, there are tons of diets and foodie trends out there which can be confusing, overwhelming and if we allow it, brainwashing. The more you read about other people’s diets and food choices, the more you may start to question your own < – this can be good and bad.

Adapting your diet to match someone else’s choices may be a good thing if you know you need to make a dietary change, if you know that tweaking what you eat, when you eat or how you eat may make a positive affect on your life. However, making some dietary changes can become a really bad decision if there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what, when and how you eat.

Please remember to do you. Don’t follow someone else’s diet and nutritional plan if it at all seems questionable, is not enough food to sustain your life and most of all, cuts out the foods you love and really don’t want to give up.

There. I feel better now. Let’s take a look at what I ate yesterday!

Breakfast:

This is what early morning breakfast time looks like around here. Coffee, banana and a serving of oatmeal out from the fridge. I usually have half of the banana and mash it into a small amount of the oatmeal, reserving the rest of the oatmeal for after my run. Sometimes I finish the banana, sometimes I store it in the refrigerator for later or try to pawn it off on my son.

Lately I am heating up the oatmeal and banana combo until it’s good and soupy as I am finding that much easier to digest before heading outside for a workout.

pre run breakfast

It’s rare to have an empty jar of peanut butter to use for my post-run breakfast these days. I am still not eating as much peanut butter as I was but I think that’s okay – we all have our phases.

Oatmeal mixed with blueberries, diced strawberries, Skoop and almond milk. More often than not, I cook eggs/egg whites into my oatmeal but yesterday I didn’t. No reason, just didn’t.

oats in a jar

Lunch:

I really wanted a Red Mango parfait as I can only handle so many days in a row of eating real people food for lunch but the Red Mango I chose to go to was not open yet <-  I don’t want to talk about it.

Instead I found myself across the street at the Whole Foods food bar which really didn’t thrill me since my mind was on frozen yogurt mixed with berries, pumpkin flax granola and dark chocolate chips.

whole foodsfood bar

Whatever.

Dinner:

I spiralized my organic zucchini and then got really lazy. I wanted to try one of the new recipes I had pinned using zoodles but I ended up just roasting some other vegetables and tossing everything in a bowl with Vincent’s tomato sauce and nutritional yeast. Right before eating, I remembered I had made a batch of quinoa so I added it to the bowl just because.

Oh, and crushed red pepper. I have been adding crushed red pepper to everything lately.

zucchini primavera

Dessert:

Talk about balance on a plate. My son came home with a ton of candy from the Bar Mitzvah parties over the weekend so I made use of the mini bags of m&m’s by adding some to my apple with peanut butter.

apple with peanut butter and m&m's

Genius decision.

What I Ate Yesterday! #WIAW #recenteats #oatmeal #veggies #running #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by the many varieties of diets and nutrition plans out there?

What have you been eating for lunch lately?

Favorite type of m&m?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 25, 2016, 5:01 am

I like WIAW posts because it reminds me of foods that I haven’t eaten in awhile and motivates me to branch out a bit. But it can also be overwhelming and stressful if you focus on trying to eat the ways others eat! I love the idea of that veggie bowl! I made spaghetti squash the other night and was planning to follow a recipe but ended up doing my own things. Sometimes its just better that way!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…On Seeking BalanceMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 25, 2016, 5:24 am

Love the m&ms on apples 🙂 I haven’t spiralized anything in a while so I think you get points just for doing that new recipe or not, right?
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW Beef for Breakfast and Pancakes for LunchMy Profile

• Marina @ Snackie Bird May 25, 2016, 6:01 am

I love WIAW posts like great examples of variation. There is a lot of great bloggers and I love to see how different eating habits can be!
    Marina @ Snackie Bird recently posted…Еда за день: воскресенье, 22 маяMy Profile

• Aubrey May 25, 2016, 6:38 am

This will sound crazy, but I would take Whole Foods’ food bar over fro yo any day, it looks SO yummy. Plus, so glad to see someone else refrigerates cooked oatmeal; the texture is just so much better re-heated.
    Aubrey recently posted…WIAW – It’s the Small ThingsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 25, 2016, 7:34 am

most people prefer whole foods food bar or savory foods for lunch over yogurt — I know I am rare! I just like my red mango once in a while as a sweet lunch 🙂 and yes to cooked oatmeal and storing it in the fridge! love reheating it or eating it cold

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 25, 2016, 7:04 am

I have been hitting up the WFM salad bar a bit too much of late… and I’m going to die broke and happy because of it, lol.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Marathon Training Advice For Your Second MarathonMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 25, 2016, 7:53 am

Thanks for the little disclaimer at the beginning. I love seeing what other people eat, but sometimes it seems like they’re trying to say they eat the “right way”. I love learning about different lifestyles and diets!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…WIAW : Work ConferenceMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes May 25, 2016, 8:38 am

I love what you said at the start of this post. I like seeing what others eat for ideas on meals especially since I eat the same thing all the time. The apples with PB and M&Ms is genius!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…6 Injury Prevention Workouts for RunnersMy Profile

• Shannon May 25, 2016, 9:33 am

I cannot keep up with the latest diet trends! It seems there is a new one every other day!
    Shannon recently posted…Oatmeal Cookie SandwichesMy Profile

• Anne May 25, 2016, 10:30 am

I love the Whole Foods salad bar! I live in the DC area, and there is a WF within walking distance of my apartment and work–I’m there almost every day (spending tons of money on organic produce…) It does encourage my laziness, though; whenever I don’t feel like cooking dinner, I just go over there. And I love your random dinner–I do stuff like that all the time to use up produce in my fridge.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 25, 2016, 10:42 am

I get really excited at the whole foods food bar when they have their awesome roasted veggies. yesterday’s selection wasn’t as good as normal – no cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli or sweet potatoes. or butternut squash.

• Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday May 25, 2016, 10:32 am

Your apples + PB + M&Ms combo is completely genius and I’m a little made I’ve never thought to add the M&Ms before. Oh, well. Inspiration for the future, right? 🙂
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five: A Random Blog SurveyMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 25, 2016, 10:37 am

I used to do WIAW all the time and I’m glad I stopped. It wasn’t healthy for me to compare what I eat to others. I do find it interesting to see what people eat so I still read some WIAW posts (like yours, Robyn’s @ Real Life RD, etc) but I no longer keep track of what I’m eating and I’m much healthier because of it.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Boston You’re My HomeMy Profile

• Suzy May 25, 2016, 10:47 am

My brain read “of eating real people for lunch” not, “of eating real people food for lunch.” HA HA! For a split second I was like ew!
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Tar and FeathersMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl May 25, 2016, 10:49 am

Love the M&Ms on top of the usual dessert!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW # 57: Cook It In A PanMy Profile

• Patricia @Sweet and Strong May 25, 2016, 1:43 pm

Loving your dessert! M&M’s are my weakness. And when I have my mind set on eating a certain food and I don’t get I’m definitely disappointed, but Whole Foods Bar is AMAZING!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Healthy Meal IdeasMy Profile

• Emily May 25, 2016, 1:45 pm

I loved the disclaimer, and that’s actually my favorite part about the What I Ate Wednesday I can’t say I never feel guilty that my diet isn’t like someone else’s, but the more I read posts like yours and others the more I realize that diet is such an area of FREEDOM, and it’s wonderful to see your Red Mango parfaits, M&Ms on apples (Yes), and big super salads from Whole Foods. My very favorite M&M is probably the peanut M&M. 🙂
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Money or Memories?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

I am so glad you like to see what I eat and can appreciate my favorites 🙂

• Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet May 25, 2016, 1:52 pm

Oh gosh, I could go on for ages about my frustration towards the diet industry and all the insane ways of eating that are marketed these days. Eat intuitively, follow your cravings, stop when you’re full, that’s it folks! As someone who used to count calories religiously, I’ll never return to it. Life’s about so much more 🙂
    Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet recently posted…Is Celiac Disease Punishment for My Eating Disorder? + WIAWMy Profile

• Christina May 25, 2016, 6:51 pm

Good disclaimer – I really like them to get ideas about different meals to try. And some fantastic snacks!! Like the other day I saw porridge with honey, banana AND walnuts so I went and bought walnuts. It’s rocked my world ever since!!

• Ellie May 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

I totally get diet burn-out! Sometimes I’m really glad not to work online so I get a break from media. It’s nice not to have ads for the newest health trend popping out at me all the time. The best think I ate today was Rock Road banana ice cream 🙂
    Ellie recently posted…The Seasons of my “Diet”My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 26, 2016, 5:22 am

agreed – staying off line will help limit what we see with the diet stuff

• Caroline M May 25, 2016, 9:41 pm

I’ve done something similar with apples where I put PB and chocolate chips on. My mom always called it a Reese’s apple so that was my immediate thought when I saw yours. I really like M&Ms…the regular, dark chocolate, PB, peanut…I can go on and on! Great eats, and thank you for advocating individual eating. I agree, what works for some people doesn’t work for others, so luckily there is a ton of variety out there! I’m trying to eat less meat, simply because I don’t really like it/crave it, but I have friends whose main dietary staple is meat. Whatever works for whoever is fine by me!
    Caroline M recently posted…Currently: May EditionMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 26, 2016, 5:23 am

usually I do the apple with pb and chocolate chips. this was a fun change and reminded me of the chocolate m&m apples I get in Disney world 🙂

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 26, 2016, 1:39 am

VINCENT’S SAUCE! Please tell me it’s the hot one, I literally ate that with a spoon.

Sorry about the Red Mango debacle but Instagram tells me it was rectified today 🙂
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Chunk Protein Cookie Dough for OneMy Profile