WIAW – Toppings & Mix-In’s

I am having some issues responding to comments on both Sunday and Monday’s posts. I am so sorry if I didn’t respond, I tried several times!

As I went to sleep Saturday night, I realized that every meal from the day involved toppings and mix-in’s, sparking the topic of this week’s What I Ate Wednesday post.

Toppings and mix-in’s are words we can use interchangeable though, right? I mean, if all you do is top your food with the toppings, then I guess it’s toppings but if you take the toppings and then mix things around, the toppings become mix-in’s. Are you still following me? Okay great, on to the food!

Breakfast:

oatmeal in a jar

Oatmeal Mix-In’s:

• Cooked oatmeal, served cold
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Cinnamon
  • Skoop Plant Based Protein Nutritional Shake in Vanilla
  • Peanut Butter (I added Peanut Butter & Co.’s Crunch Time)
  • Almond Milk

I prepare my oats in a jar before I leave for my long run. The oatmeal is already cooked so I spoon it into the almost empty peanut butter jar, mix in the blueberries (which defrost while I am running), add in the almond milk, cinnamon, Skoop and extra peanut butter.

I love oats in a jar (different from overnight oats since my oatmeal is cooked and served cold) because it’s the perfect post run recovery meal for me. It’s already prepared for me so all I have to do is sit down to eat immediately after taking a shower.  They say the proper refuel window after a hard workout should be between 30 -60 minutes but I know that for me, I recover best when I eat closer to the 30 minute window. I actually think the extra soreness I experienced after last week’s half marathon has a lot to do with the fact that I did not eat within my usual post run window.

Lunch:

I was pleasantly surprised by how big and delicious this chopped salad was from Bagel Basket. I ordered the small yet I couldn’t even finish the bowl. How big was the large if this was the small?!

salad and bagel

Chopped salad mix-in’s:

• Romaine lettuce
  • Chick peas
  • Dried cranberries
  • Feta cheese
  • Beets
  • Avocado
  • Tomatoes

I am so glad I ordered the dressing on the side — this salad did not need dressing at all! I didn’t even open the container of honey mustard dressing.

I also ordered a cinnamon raisin bagel to replace the mini bagel that comes with the salad. Have I mentioned I am very into bagels lately? I don’t crave them every day but at least once a week I need a really big one that’s crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside.

Dinner:

When my son asked to go to Chopt for dinner after his game, I was a little bit not so thrilled since I just had a salad for lunch. However, I wasn’t about to say no to his request for a meal that involved vegetables..

I have been to Chopt before in the city, this is the first location in our area which opened fairly recently.

Do I love it? Not really. I mean, it’s good stuff but I always think that I can make a better salad at home for less money.

Maybe it was an off day, maybe I wasn’t in the mood, maybe it was the girl who didn’t chop my salad so well but this Chopt salad was just kinda okay and nowhere near as good as my lunch salad!

salad from Chopt

Chopt salad toppings:

• Romaine lettuce, kale spinach mix
  • Roasted butternut squash
  • Sautéed mushrooms
  • Organic tofu
  • Quinoa
  • Hearts of palm
  • Lemon tahini

Chopt offers signature salad combinations so you don’t have to think but I like to create my own. Oh, and I didn’t love the lemon tahini.

Dessert:

Dessert at Cold Stone Creamery made up for dinner. It was one of those nights where I ate dinner just to get to dessert.

cold stone

Cold Stone sundae mix-in’s:

• Chocolate fudge brownie frozen yogurt
  • Cookie dough
  • Chocolate chips
  • Hot Fudge

Love this combination!

WIAW - Meals with the mix-in's #wiaw #salad #oatmeal #chopt #bagels #coldstone Click To Tweet

Click here to see what everyone else is eating today. 🙂

Favorite salad toppings/mix-in’s?

Favorite oatmeal toppings/mix-in’s?

Favorite ice cream sundae or frozen yogurt toppings/mix-in’s?

Comments

1. says

I love foods that allow toppings and mix-ins! One of my favorite desserts is frozen yogurt because of all the toppings that can be added. When I go to salad places I like to make my own if that’s an option, because there is always something in their combinations that I don’t like or a food that I want to add!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Summer Running ExcitementMy Profile

2. Lizzie says

I love snap peas/snow peas in my salad, and my ice cream HAS to have some kind of chocolate chip/chunk/brownie/dough in it… hahaha.

3. says

So jealous you probably have so many delicious bagel places nearby! I love a good bagel, and my favorite is definitely an everything bagel. Favorite oatmeal mix-ins: protein powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and almond butter. Fave salad mix-ins: cashews and dried cherries. Fave ice cream mix-ins: depends on my mood! But usually some sort of cookie dough or cheesecake bites, Oreos for sure, and PB cups!

4. says

Ohh yummy! Everything looks great 🙂 Here we go..
    Salad- bacon bits, goat cheese, pears
    Oatmeal- mini chocolate chips, dried cranberries
    Froyo- depends on my mood..sometimes I go for the fruity stuff, other times I need brownie and cookie dough bits!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…WIAW : Belize Edition!My Profile

5. says

I am a HUGE toppings girl. When we have pancakes, it goes a little crazy. On salad, I love cheese, tomatoes, carrots, tomatoes, raisins, nuts, and the list goes on. On oatmeal, I love peanut butter, nuts, honey, fruit, and sometimes granola. On icecream, I usually always put some peanut butter, sometimes crushed cookies, chocolate sauce, and I better stop before it gets crazy. 😀
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: My Messy LifeMy Profile

6. says

It’s funny… I’m all about the mix-ins but I don’t like my food touching generally. Ice cream- YES. Mix it. But pasta needs to be separate from my meat and vegetable. Salads are okay but I still eat all of one vegetable before moving on to the next. I’m so odd haha
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…FailureMy Profile

7. says

That really makes me want to eat a salad! They do have a way of making it look so good. I love your coldstone combo and could eat that every day for every meal no problem!
    Fiona recently posted…Foot FaultMy Profile

8. says

I totally agree that salads are better by far (and cheaper) when made at home. That lunch salad does look epic though. SO SO jealous of your Coldstone, wish it would come to the UK just for their cake batter flavour 🙁

9. says

Favorite salad toppings: feta or goat cheese, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and lots of veggies

Favorite ice cream toppings: rainbow sprinkles, dark choc chips, reese’s pieces and m&ms

I’m not a huge fan of Chop’t either. It’s overpriced and I can make a much better salad at home. Plus I am suspicious of their chicken… When I buy lunch out at work once a week or so, I usually head for something like the Little Beet or Dig Inn!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Gluten Free Maine: Bam Bam and BurgersMy Profile

10. says

I am completely craving a good chopped salad now. You may have just solved my dilemma on what to have for dinner tonight!

11. says

Mmm mix-ins… the best!
    Oatmeal demands blueberries, peanut butter, and sometimes granola.
    Salad depends on the day. I usually like contrasts in texture so something crunchy, creamy, and something fresh and bright.
    Ice cream/froyo: brownie/cheesecake bits, strawberries, and hot fudge or caramel.
    Now I am craving chocolate like nobody’s business…
    Caroline M recently posted…Wednesday Workout Recap & Recent EatsMy Profile