WIAW – Post-Race Appetite

You know you ran your best half marathon when your legs are still sore three days later. I am slowly getting back to normal although my appetite really hasn’t kicked in just yet. I am not exactly complaining considering I hate those relentless hungry days but by now, it’s a little bit weird for me!

I usually experience a bit of a suppressed appetite after a race but then my post-race appetite kicks in like crazy. Right now, it’s just been a few days of feeling hungry but not really in the mood for anything in particular to eat. There isn’t much that sounds overly appealing to me so I just keep eating my usuals, trying to find a craving somewhere in there but right now, I’ve got none to speak of!

I much prefer to crave the foods I choose to eat, you know? Makes my meals seem that much more satisfying.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal is always for breakfast.

I had this beautiful bowl of oatmeal the other morning in the city. It came with lots of fun toppings including fresh berries. I would say that this bowl of steel-cut oatmeal was equally as good as steel-cut oatmeal I make at home — I make a mean pot of oatmeal, just so you know.

oatmeal

Lunch:

Egg sandwiches are certainly one of my go-to lunches lately. Sometimes I crave them (like this one the day before the race on a french toast bagel) and then sometimes, I just eat them because I don’t know what else to eat.

This particular egg sandwich is omelette-style served open-faced on toasted cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with mashed avocado and a side of roasted frozen broccoli.

open faced egg sandwich

Dinner:

I had made a nice big pot of black bean and quinoa vegan chili a week or so ago. I really do need to share this super easy and satisfying chili recipe with you shortly!

I usually freeze most of the chili that I make so that I can reheat it for those nights when I don’t know what to eat and really don’t feel like cooking.

I used the chili more as a topping for my roasted veggies and brown rice combination. Avocado added on top too after taking the picture.

black bean and quinoa chili

Dessert:

I haven’t really felt like dessert. I know. Weird. But it happens after a race. I don’t skip dessert (I don’t know how to do such a thing) but I can’t say I really care much for the usual apple with peanut butter and/or dark chocolate that I have been eating on autopilot this week.

After Sunday’s half though, we did go to Cold Stone Creamery after dinner for my latest favorite creation: chocolate frozen yogurt mixed with a big chunk of cookie dough, chocolate chips and hot fudge. Of course it was good but I didn’t care either way if I had it or not — I know, weird!

IMG_6898

I am hoping to get outside for a few really easy miles this morning. Today is the best I have felt so far since Sunday so I think I am ready to give running slowly a try! This really excites me 🙂 Have a great day!

WIAW Post Race Appetite #WIAW #running #halfmarathon #recenteats #oatmeal #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is eating today on this What I Ate Wednesday!

How many days does it take for your appetite to return to normal after a race?

What have you been eating for lunch lately?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 4, 2016, 5:10 am

It usually takes about 2-3 days for my appetite to get back to normal after a race, but it definitely depends on the distance and how hard I ran. Lately lunch has mostly salads. I still haven’t exactly decided what my workout will be today. I wish I had a better plan for this week!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Running, Sitting, and Low Back Pain {Guest Post}My Profile

• Kate May 4, 2016, 8:01 am

I’ve yet to have oatmeal out that I’d say is better than mine at home! I guess it’s because like how mine is specialized 😀
    Kate recently posted…State of being (WIAW)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2016, 2:21 pm

I really like my homemade oatmeal too with my usual combinations and mix ins but I do enjoy a good bowl of oatmeal when out for breakfast if they make it nice 🙂

• Melissa May 4, 2016, 8:10 am

My lunches lately have been a lot of leftovers! I love saving dinner and having leftover chicken and veggies or salads for lunch. I ran around for Miles this morning for my workout! Back in the day, this wouldn’t have meant much, but at 33 weeks pregnant it’s a feat!
    Melissa recently posted…What I Ate In BostonMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 4, 2016, 8:14 am

Oh no where are your dessert cravings?! I think I’ve been craving extra dessert for you, if that’s possible, even though I’m not running at all 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Eating with Sunday Blues & BlahsMy Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood May 4, 2016, 8:34 am

I’m the same way with egg sandwiches – sometimes I really crave them and others I’m just like, ehhh this will do. And your coldstone makes me crave it something awful! It’s my favorite ever.
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…Mom’s Little Sick KitMy Profile

• Ellie May 4, 2016, 8:35 am

I usually can’t eat right after a race, then I get really hungry, it passes in like five minutes and my stomach doesn’t want anything. So usually I try to eat things I know my stomach will accept. I don’t crave anything until a couple days later.
    Today I went on a group run with some friends. It was beautiful! When is your next race?
    Ellie recently posted…Hey All! I’m Moving!My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 4, 2016, 8:48 am

I think I stole your appetite because mine’s been off the charts since my trail rides this past weekend. I’m feeling a little more normal this morning, though, so fingers crossed that it stays that way!

• Emily May 4, 2016, 9:13 am

I think it takes about 2 or 3 days before my appetite finally gets ‘caught up.’ I didn’t know that Cold Stone does Frozen yogurt? It sounds really good! 🙂 I do understand not really feeling like dessert, and that’s totally okay. Your body was made with those cravings for a reason.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Caring Not ComparingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2016, 2:16 pm

yes, you have to try their yogurt! very good and much easier on my stomach for digestion.

• Emily May 4, 2016, 2:26 pm

I think I will! :))) Lord willing, maybe we’ll go do Coldstone next week, when we go on pre-vacation shopping for clothes.
        Emily recently posted…WIAW: Caring Not ComparingMy Profile

• Marina @ Snackie Bird May 4, 2016, 9:27 am

Ugh, lunch is struggle for me too! I have no idea what to eat, so usually I end up eating leftovers from dinner. Breakfast for lunch sounds perfect every time though
    Marina @ Snackie Bird recently posted…Еда за день: майские праздникиMy Profile

• Caroline M May 4, 2016, 9:37 am

It takes awhile for my appetite to kick in after racing or even after a long run sometimes. Like there isn’t even a usual, it gets so funky. Appetite is a strange thing. I’m not really sure what’s on the workout agenda today; I’ve been really playing things by ear with how I feel so it could be a run or I might take a Zumba class!
    Caroline M recently posted…On Wednesdays We Work-Out (Recap)My Profile

• Susie @ Suzlyfe May 4, 2016, 9:47 am

My appetite comes back the next day, wanes, and then comes back again! But I will say that right after a run, I eat even though I’m not hungry, and once I start, I can’t stop (even though I’m not hungry!)
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Summer Running Prep + Coaches Corner (Giveaway!)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2016, 10:24 am

lots of times I think I’m not hungry, eat a little bit and then my appetite kicks in full force

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com May 4, 2016, 9:48 am

Please post that quinoa chili recipe, it sounds amazing! I’ve been craving Cold Stone again, so I may need to get some this weekend–they have the best toppings!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl May 4, 2016, 10:05 am

I used to be a next-day kind of rungry after a half, but as I adjust to running close to that distance pretty regularly, it seems only to take an hour or two now. Sort of perfect for finishing a race, then walking/subway to brunch after – though it’s also weather dependent. If it’s hotter I’m just thirsty and want water and watermelon and it takes a little longer to want food.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #56: Home for a SaturdayMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 4, 2016, 10:19 am

I’m never hungry the day of a race, but the days following all I can think about is food. Like starving. I ran like 6 miles this morning which is the most I’ve done since January and I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a hungry day. I hate the weeks where nothing really sounds good but you’re hungry. That’s been me on and off for a month now.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Bit by the Running BugMy Profile

• Suzy May 4, 2016, 10:48 am

You sound like Andrew with the post race soreness. He’s still limping around wincing and holding onto the railing on the stairs for dear life.

I have to be careful with food and running. If I’m running hard later in the day, I can’t eat too much or any fruit and veggies before I go, and then often I don’t feel like eating a bunch of veggies when I’m done a tough run. So, I pretty much fuel with cookies and bagels and recover with chips and beer. I’m a hero.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Bad TimingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2016, 2:15 pm

haha – yeah I was sore after this race – more than I thought I would be! thankfully I am feeling back to normal today!

• Shannon May 4, 2016, 10:51 am

I always have a hard time trying to figure out what to eat for lunch too! I usually eat an omelette of sorts or a gigantic salad!
    Shannon recently posted…Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Mini MuffinsMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes May 4, 2016, 11:56 am

I think I have your appetite! My appetite usually kicks in the evening after a race and I want red meat more than ever then, which is not normal but definitely a craving I indulge. Lunches lately are lentils or quinoa with sweet potatoes, veggies, and tahini. So good!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…REVO2LUTION Running CertificationMy Profile

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks May 4, 2016, 5:50 pm

I had no idea coldstones had froyo!!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…WIAW – Final Travel MondayMy Profile

• Tovah May 4, 2016, 11:03 pm

Thanks for sharing all your awesome feedback on the 1/2 marathon! Im running my first one at the end of may and am super excited! Any tips for a first 1/2 marathoner? Im not a new runner but this is my longest race so far! Also, I wonder how my appetite will vary afterwards??? hmmm… guess we’ll see soon!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2016, 4:18 pm

oh that’s so exciting! if you check out my running page, you can read through all of the posts I have written with tips and advice as well as my other race recaps – maybe that will help?running page Otherwise, my advice would be to make sure you have practiced what you will eat before the race, what you will eat as fuel during the race, make sure you rest up and taper before the race and don’t do anything new, including what you wear that day!

• GiGi Eats May 5, 2016, 8:12 pm

THAT EGG OMELETTE IS KILLER!!!! GIRL, I NEED ME SOME OF THAT!

• Lauren May 6, 2016, 10:54 am

I’ve been meaning to try the cinnamon raisin Ezekial bread! Think it might be time to buy a loaf 🙂 Congrats on your half!