New Super Salad Combination & Recipe Links

I am obsessed with a new salad combination this week and I have Gina (Fitnessista) to thank for it! She posted this Superfood Salad recipe the other day which sparked my interest and craving for making my own version almost immediately.

super salad

I have now made my version of Gina’s Superfood salad a few times since she shared her recipe and I want to share my version with you today just in case you want to pick up these yummy ingredients this weekend to make this salad too!

So what does my salad include?

Chopped romaine lettuce

Shredded roasted brussels sprouts

Diced sweet potatoes

Brown rice

Dried cranberries

Feta cheese

Avocado

Gina’s Dressing

I modified Gina’s recipe a bit:

I roasted the brussels sprouts before slicing (because I love roasted brussels sprouts and hate what the raw would do to my stomach)

Replaced the beets with diced, roasted sweet potatoes

Added avocado

Left out the almonds (because I am allergic)

super salad

I just love flavor and texture combination of the dried cranberries, feta cheese, brown rice and avocado in this salad.

After being totally out of the salads for lunch phase for quite some time, I now want this salad combination every day. Sweet potatoes and brown rice are a terrific complex carbohydrate addition, especially for us runners. I used the brown rice medley from the frozen section at Trader Joe’s – you just heat up a pouch in the microwave – really fast and easy.

Other great options to this vegetarian salad would be chick peas, quinoa, walnuts and diced apple. To make this salad vegan, leave off the cheese. If you aren’t vegetarian, you could certainly add grilled chicken. Please let me know if you try it and what combination you come up with of your own!

Passover begins later today.

We are going to my parents tonight for the first seder so I guess today I will make some Passover side dishes to bring to their house. I will just be eating dinner as my pathway to the chocolate-covered macaroons for dessert which we picked up from ShopRite’s Passover candy counter.

Passover candy counter

The chocolate-covered chocolate macaroons are my favorite. But I love the chocolate -covered chocolate chip macaroons too!

With lots of boxes of Matzoh in the house for Passover right now, I haven’t thought ahead much to next week’s meals but found some good recipe links of interest for you. 🙂

24 Meatless Recipes That Carnivores Will Love

55 Vegan Bowl Recipes to Make For Dinner

Vegan No-Chicken Nuggets

Smashed Roasted Potatoes with Avocado Dill Aioli

What Do Vegetarians Actually Eat For Breakfast?

Paleo Blueberry Coconut Souffle Bake

Pasta with Roasted Spring Vegetables And Marinated Mozzarella

Apple Matzoh Kugel

Passover Apple Cake

My new favorite salad plus recipes of interest! #Passover #salad #lunch #recipes #fitfluential Click To Tweet

3 things you are doing this weekend?

If you celebrate Passover, what are you cooking?

Who has a race this weekend?

{ 19 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine April 22, 2016, 6:11 am

That counter of treats looks amazing! I actually signed up at the last minute for a 6k tomorrow. I am sort of regretting it now but I guess I was hit with the racing bug after last weekend. Thanks for sharing those recipes, I am trying to figure out a meal plan for next week so maybe I will try one of those!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Sole of the City 10k Race RecapMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 22, 2016, 6:31 am

We’re going to my parents house and I’m making chocolate macaroons and a gf raisin kugel 🙂 Probably a couple of other things too since I get carried away once I start. I’ve been with you on the brussels sprouts this week since I finally don’t have to worry about my stomach but still I’ve been almost burning them to make sure they don’t do too much damage. They taste better that way anyway!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Caramel Chocolate Chip Paleo BlondiesMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes April 22, 2016, 8:26 am

That treat counter looks amazing! As does that salad, I love potatoes and rice on salads and the avocado/goat cheese combo is so delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes, there’s several there I need to check out!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Lentil Recipes for RunnersMy Profile

• Suzy April 22, 2016, 9:54 am

Feta on anything is bomb. Nobody else likes feta in this house so I hate buying it and having it go bad. I need to just order it in a restaurant or something. Hmmm.. that’s on my to-do list this weekend. 🙂
    Suzy recently posted…Core WerkMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2016, 10:22 am

sometimes the feta gets ignored in our house too but recently my son decided he wanted to eat it again which worked out perfectly for me this week when I wanted to make this salad.

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl April 22, 2016, 10:14 am

Everyone else in NYC was at Fairway on the UES when it opened at 8am this morning. I’m not the only last minute shopper! Now I want Greek salad to be part of our (very casual, probably not kosher) Seder 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Five Songs I’m Loving This SpringMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2016, 10:20 am

ha! my dad is at shoprite now and called to tell me there’s a line for the gefilte fish lol.

• Beverley @ Born to Sweat April 22, 2016, 11:07 am

I think cranberries are one of the BEST additions to a salad, but for some reason i always forget to buy them!! the brussel sprouts sound great, roasted would be the perfect touch of warmth with the feta
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap Up + The Sweat Series GiveawayMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

Cranberries are freaking amazing in salads! And so are sweet potatoes and other roasted veggies. Maaaan. Now you’ve got me craving a salad. Good thing lunch is in 1.5 😛 Also… are those those little gummy watermelon slices I see in the candy counter? I can’t even tell you how much I loved those things when I was little! I haven’t had one in years, but oh man. So good!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…obsessions, exercise lately, and the BEST cereal add-in (ToL#179)My Profile

• Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday April 22, 2016, 3:52 pm

I love sweet potatoes on salad! Also, apples, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, cranberries, and sunflower seeds or pistachios. And chocolate-covered macaroons sound amazing. Enjoy!
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five Friday Favorites 04/22/16My Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com April 22, 2016, 5:20 pm

My favorite salad combo is similar to that–it has romaine and mixed greens, chicken, roasted sweet potatoes from TJ’s, dried cherries, avocado, and cashews. And the honey/thyme/balsamic dressing from TJ’s–so good!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Friday Faves+Exciting News!My Profile