A Boring Trader Joe’s Shop & Recipes of Interest

I found it so interesting to read the comments (which I am still responding to) on yesterday’s post regarding career choices. So many of us changed course from our original plan or figured out through the process of going to college and then living life what it was we wanted to do. This is probably worth discussing more often because most of the time, our initial choice or idea is not where we end up yet the knowledge and experience we gain from our education and job choices, even if we end up choosing another path, do benefit our future. Seriously, there isn’t a job position from my past that hasn’t helped me in some way to be where I am today.

Anyway.

I ended up doing most of our food shopping on Wednesday since my son was going to be off from school yesterday and today. I certainly didn’t want him tagging along because that would mean extra food thrown into the cart.

Nothing exciting or new going on in here, in fact, my cart at Trader Joe’s is getting boring.

Trader Joe's foods shopping

I did remember to pick up another package of my favorite soap. The Oatmeal & Honey soap is my favorite.

Has anyone tried Trader Joe’s new Black Bean pasta? I still didn’t buy it. Please let me know if you have tried it and if it’s worth getting. Thanks.

At the buffet the other night in the 40/40 Club at the Islanders game, they had a delicious “Candy Apple Salad” which was really basic ingredient-wise. I should recreate it. I even have a few additional salad ingredient ideas in mind that would work really well in the combination.

candy apple salad

In meal planning news, I made my son the Lemon Chicken Risotto recipe shared in last Friday’s recipe links post and it was a major success! It was really easy to make and my son LOVED IT. Like really loved it. He even ate it for dinner 3 nights in a row. I kept the chicken and risotto in separate containers just so he could add the chicken to salads or whatever, assuming he didn’t want risotto every night. I think the chicken part of the recipe will be a new staple in our recipe rotation.

I didn’t think ahead to our dinners for next week just yet, probably because he is off from school now and neither of us are up to thinking about getting back to routine for a few more days. I did find more good (and easy) recipes though!

Recipes of Interest:

One Pot Vegetarian Chili Mac

Roasted Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Nourish Bowl with Turmeric Tahini Dressing

Asparagus Stir-Fry with Sesame Miso Sauce

Lemon Roasted Asparagus

Herb-Roasted Tri-Colored Carrots

25 Tasty Ways to use Nutritional Yeast

30-Minute Vegetarian Meatballs

Spring Vegetable Strata

Dessert:

Paleo Apple Pie in a Jar < – Genius. Simple. Love it.

Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs

Healthy Chocolate Banana Snack Cake

Recipes of Interest #mealprep #mealplan #recipes #dinner #traderjoes #fitfluential Click To Tweet

3 things you are doing this weekend?

Have you had the black bean pasta from Trader Joe’s or from somewhere else? Is it any good?

Are you off today?

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 25, 2016, 6:23 am

I made the mistake of not shopping yesterday (had time, got lazy) and now my kids will be coming with me today. I try to remind myself that it’s better than the days I held my breath praying for no monster tantrums!

• Lesq March 25, 2016, 8:13 am

OMG, LMAO from Michele’s comment!!! We buy so much variety in these times–nothing is just seasonal with everything flown in that nothing seems fresh and special as the seasons change so this year I have listened to a lot of the chefs touting buy seasonal and only buy that way. Makes for more variation, but still boring lol.

• lacey@fairytalesandfitness March 25, 2016, 8:42 am

We do not have a Trader Joe’s near my area. Which is good bc I always spend way to much when I go there. That caremel vinergertte sounds tasty on the candy apple salad.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…How we made Super SmoothiesMy Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com March 25, 2016, 8:48 am

I am off today for spring break and am beyond excited! We leave for Cabo early early Sunday morning for a week, and I can’t wait to relax! I’ve seen that black bean pasta at TJ’s but haven’t tried it yet, so hopefully another reader has and can tell me whether it’s worth it or not. My legs are still a little stiff from my race, but I’m going to run tomorrow morning so I can catch the cherry blossoms.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…We’re Off to Cabo + Things I’m Diggin’+ I Hired a Coach!My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes March 25, 2016, 10:30 am

I wish Ryan had the day off! I’m trying to convince him to leave work early so we can go to 3pm mass instead of 7pm. I used to get Thursday through Monday off for Easter and miss those days.
    Ooooh, that salad sounds good! I love the apple & peanut combo.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Roasted Root and Quinoa Buddha BowlMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl March 25, 2016, 10:56 am

Haha, I can see how shopping with him means sneaking cookies into the cart! I remember how we used to beg our nanny to buy the “forbidden cereals” at the grocery store 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Blueberry Vanilla MuffinsMy Profile

• Suzy March 25, 2016, 11:18 am

I just saw someone on IG post about the black bean pasta from there and they said it was amazing!
    Suzy recently posted…Looks That KillMy Profile

• Shannon March 25, 2016, 2:46 pm

I didnt even know they sold black bean pasta! I will have to try it!
    Shannon recently posted…The Best Easter DessertsMy Profile

• Caroline M March 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

3 things this weekend: seeing my friend’s choreography in a dance performance, long run, and celebrating Easter with one of my best friend’s and her family! I, too, am curious about that black bean pasta. Have a wonderful weekend Meredith!
    Caroline M recently posted…How I’m Really Going to Be Training…My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 26, 2016, 10:21 am

As I near the end of this pregnancy, my cooking skills are waning, as in I barely have the energy to do any of it. I’m hoping to get some stuff accomplished this weekend though. Cross those fingers for me.

P.S. I will take a Candy Apple Salad any day.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Asparagus, Asiago and Spring Onion Quiche RecipeMy Profile