It’s Okay When What You Eat Changes

Jen from Peanut Butter Runner (one of my most favorite blogs and the first blog I ever read!) shared a terrific post last week called Food, Fitness and Feeling Good: Paving Your Own Way and Learning What Works For You.

I think what I love most about her post is how she points out that a diet or lifestyle that works for someone else may not work for you. And even more importantly, what worked for you last year may not work for you now!

I have shared the story behind My Meatless Diet (which you can read here) explaining how I suddenly transitioned to a meatless way of life.

my meatless diet

This is NOT a post saying I now eat chicken or steak! No, I am still a meatless eater! But will I always be? Will this diet always continue to work for me? I like to think so but who knows for sure.

Honestly, sometimes when I read Michele’s blog and she shares photos of burgers on her plate, I start to think that maybe I want one too.

Will I have a burger one day soon? I don’t know. Right now, the answer is no but that could change.

Lately what I want to eat is changing.

This always happens to me after a stomach virus. Always. In fact, it’s exactly how I ended up giving up meat and eating a mostly plant-based diet for over four years now.

But I am not strictly plant-based, I will never be vegan and I am not strictly vegetarian either. Sometimes I eat shrimp or a spicy tuna roll and then sometimes I go extended periods with very limited dairy and no eggs for months.

Right now though I am eating as many eggs and egg whites as I do bowls of oatmeal.

I felt the need for more protein and adding eggs and egg whites back in to my diet on what feels like a daily basis now did the trick immediately. I definitely noticed an immediate difference in how I felt, both in my energy levels and appetite satisfaction.

I am really enjoying oatmeal lately when it’s cooked with eggs/egg whites stirred in, maybe some banana, cinnamon and a little bit of Skoop. Sometimes I add a drizzle of maple syrup. It has become a terrific (and satisfying) post-run meal.

oatmeal

I used to love berries mixed in to my oatmeal but right now, that is not appealing to me.

Peanut butter has lost it’s appeal too which is really upsetting if you want to know the truth.

I very rarely add it to oatmeal, haven’t had it for lunch in several weeks and most of time when I try to eat peanut butter, I realize that it really isn’t what I want to be eating.

And my favorite red-capped jar of crunchy peanut butter with flax and chia seeds from Trader Joe’s?

Trader Joe's Peanut Butter

It now tastes awful to me. I can’t even understand how I used to eat it nor can I understand how I am saying this but it’s how I feel.

I still like my Crunch Time Peanut Butter (from PB & Co)  but I don’t eat much of it. In fact, more than a spoonful has given me a stomach ache.

Most of the time, I am eating an apple plain or with some chocolate.

apple

Lately I find myself eating more bagels than I have in years.

I had this salad and bagel combo over the weekend. It was probably the first salad I had eaten for lunch in weeks. My appetite has started to think, at least for right now, that vegetables before dinner are dumb.

bagel and salad

This was a whole grain maple cinnamon raisin bagel – you really tasted the maple syrup, it was a genius addition.

Even my Cold Stone sundae the other night was different for me. I am a total creature of habit when it comes to my desserts but I didn’t want whipped cream, I wanted the chocolate fudge brownie frozen yogurt in place of my usual vanilla-based favorite and I didn’t care that they were out of waffle bowls. I added cookie dough to the mix (with chocolate chips and hot fudge) and this is now my favorite.

Cold Stone

I think my point is, we are allowed to change what we eat on a regular basis. Nothing in life stays the same, our diets and food choices included.

As Jen said in her post, and I quote,

“The important thing to keep in mind is that you have to honor YOUR body. What feels good for someone else might not feel good for you. What felt good for you last year might not be your jam this year. And sometimes, something you’ve been doing for your entire life might quit working. You have to be open to changing your ways and sometimes that can be tough when we have super hard-wired thinking patterns.”

You can read her full post here in case you missed the link at the top 🙂

It's okay when what you eat changes #food #recenteats #meatless @jdecurtins #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Are there any foods that you used to love and now suddenly just don’t?

How have your eating habits/patterns changed over the last few years?

If you are a meatless eater, do you ever want a hamburger?

Comments

1. says

So so true. I think this way about Paleo – I’ll always try to eat what makes me feel my best and gluten free is a must, but there’s a lot of leeway within that! Even since Paleo the things I’ve eaten have changed a lot – it used to be a lot more raw veggies, more eggs (possible) less potatoes, more nut butter but less sweets, recently I’ve settled into what’s comfortable but I’m sure it’ll gradually change. Our lives change, bodies change so our food goes with it.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW Catch Up/Rest Day HungerMy Profile

2. says

Absolutely. Like when what you want to do for workouts changes. Food is as much emotional as it is physical, with regards to needs/wants. So when you are in a different emotional place, what you need might not change, but what you want certainly will!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Never Give UpMy Profile

3. says

I definitely agree! One of the great things about blogging is seeing what I ate 2 years ago and how its different now. The changes I make are usual gradual and go unnoticed for awhile. I think its totally normal to adjust how we eat. I love reading about what others eat because it gives me new ideas and something to try, but you are so right that what works for 1 person may not work for someone else.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Sunday’s Rest Day MealsMy Profile

4. says

I read Jen`s post earlier and I totally loved it! So fair and wise words. Over the last few years I was vegan, then following paleo and keto diets. They work for me great at first, but I believe in changes, so I like swithcing things for a bit and finding that`s work for me the best. Now I eat all plant based goodies, eggs and dairy, but I love my chicken once a week.

5. says

My diet preferences definitely change over time. I used to eat a lot of beans and now I just can’t unless they’re in hummus. Same with broccoli and cauliflower. That’s in part why I never follow a particular diet: what I eat changes on my activity, cravings, the seasons, and other things. When I ate meatless for a while, it was a burger that ended that.
    Also that bagel looks amazing. It’s been so long since I’ve had a good bagel.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…6 Two a Day Workouts for Runners {Monthly Workout Round Up}My Profile

6. says

I’m definitely eating healthier now that I used to. Growing up it was all about easy to make processed food, then in college it was about eating EVERYTHING, so now I’m finally able to eat lots of veggies and fruits and real meats. Love it!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Brownie Batter Energy BitesMy Profile

7. says

One of my favorite things about writing WIAW posts is seeing how what I eat has changed over the past year. Definitely a lot more home cooked meals as I began to read more blogs and experiment more with baking. Slightly less dairy, and way fewer grains after my elimination. And in general, more of just eating what works at any given time, like you said.
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #50: Half Marathon Weekend EatsMy Profile

8. says

Are there any foods that you used to love and now suddenly just don’t?
    I used to really love parmesan cheese by itself… But I’ve actually gotten less picky over the years because I used to hate a lot of foods. O_O

How have your eating habits/patterns changed over the last few years?
    I definitely eat more… I didn’t eat enough for so many years, but I’m grateful for so many foodie bloggers that God has used to give me a more balanced view of really fueling my body for being active and serving Him.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: I Don’t Have the Model DietMy Profile

9. says

I totally think what I eat changes with the seasons or if I want to try something new. I’m pretty open to it. I was really high carb, but recently started feeling better with tons of extra fats, so I’m going with it. I think that’s part of never labeling yourself or your diet, it can change. Being meatless, I don’t crave meat because of what I associate meat with (cruelty) that kind of stops any craving one could have.
    Ellie recently posted…WIAW [The Animals]My Profile

10. says

I go through food changes all the time. I am a very routine eater, so I eat the same things for a few months and then randomly I will move on to something else and repeat the cycle 🙂 I hope to always stay meatless though.
    Shannon recently posted…Crazy Addicting BreadsticksMy Profile

11. says

It’s funny that you posted this because just this week, I’m noticing that the regular things in my week that I normally love, I have no desire whatsoever to eat. Even my favourite chocolate bar on a Sunday night, I didn’t even finish it last week…which is a first for me! I’m such a creature of habit that it’s weird for me to be scratching my head trying to come up with new things to eat but I’m gonna be brave and live outside my bubble! Your choc frozen yogurt combo sounds incredible 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…Pre-Marathon Race PlanMy Profile

12. says

When I was about 17, I underwent a huge change in appetite. This was also around the time I started training for my first half. I used to HATE oatmeal and peanut butter, but they became favorites of mine. I’m not a vegetarian, but meat has been a lot less appealing lately and I’ve been eating apples like it’s my job recently. It’s weird how our bodies like one thing one day, and hate it the next, but I just accept it and try to honor my cravings!
    Caroline M recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #1!My Profile

13. says

One of the tricky things about blogging is getting stuck with a certain identity…whether that’s “runner” or “vegetarian” or whatever else. It’s totally okay to grow and change and I think learning to strengthen our inner guides is most important! Thanks for sharing this post and linking to mine!
    jen recently posted…Recent Eats + On the 30s HIIT WorkoutMy Profile

14. says

Yes!!! I’m off peanut butter at the moment too which is really weird and I keep going back to it because normally it makes me feel so good, but this post reminds me that it will only feel good if we actually want it!

15. says

You already know how I feel about bagels. They’re kind of everything right now.

I’m with you on changing taste buds. I went meat free for about five years there, and slowly but surely I’ve been eating bacon here or there, and I even had a grilled hot dog last summer. Basically, if I start to crave it, I’ve decided to eat. It’s my body’s way of telling me something.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Asparagus, Asiago and Spring Onion Quiche RecipeMy Profile