TOL – Hershey Park, Running Shoes & Chocolate Banana Pudding

thinking out loud

This week has been weird because my son has been sick for most of it. It started out as I don’t feel well which I took as I don’t feel like going to school which then turned into he wasn’t kidding and he’s real sick. The positive side to this is that he hasn’t been eating the grapes he normally brings to school so I got to polish them off without feeling guilty for eating the kid’s snack.

Another positive this week? The money I saved on not having to pay the New York City marathon entry fee has now been spent on the quick trip I just planned to Hershey Park for this summer, right before my son leaves for sleep away camp.

When I called to make the hotel reservation (because I am old school and prefer to make reservations sometimes via telephone), they already had me in the system from the last time I was there which was back in 2012 for my very first half marathon.

hershey half

A little blurry but you get the idea – this was taken before the race started!

I ran the Hershey Park half marathon before I started writing this blog so I don’t have a formal recap but I remember it like it was yesterday. If you ever have the chance to run the Hershey Park Half Marathon, I absolutely recommend that you do so! I know it was my first half so it was extra special but hello – running through a chocolate themed amusement park?

A chocolate aid station at mile 12 where they throw you candy during the race? An awesome medal with a terrific goodie bag containing a giant chocolate chip cookie? Free entry into the park?

Do it.

I can’t do it this year because it’s the same weekend in October as my son’s Bar Mitzvah but hopefully I can get to Hershey Park for the half marathon next year.

So rumor has it Magnolia Bakery came out with a chocolate version of their banana pudding.

My son loves their original banana pudding as seen below. We haven’t stopped into Magnolia Bakery in several months (click here for our last visit) so we have to make it a point to try the chocolate version as soon as possible.

banana pudding

I say as soon as possible just like I said I need to get to the lululemon outlet as soon as possible yet I still haven’t gone. Something tells me that the drive for chocolate banana pudding will happen before the drive for outlet pricing. Hey, we all have our priorities.

I have had two easy runs wearing my new pair of Saucony Ride 7’s this week and I really like them. Actually, no, it’s more like I LOVE THEM!

saucony ride

I think that one of the less often spoken about benefits of rotating your running shoes is realizing that there really is another pair out there that you can learn to love just as much as your main pair. Sometimes we get so caught up in thinking only one running shoe is right for us that the thought of wearing another seems impossible. We can find alternate shoes that we can love and these Saucony’s prove it.

I am trying not to think about turning the clocks ahead this weekend. It’s not so much about losing an hour of sleep but the whole darker again in the morning thing that is bothering me. I know it won’t be for long, I know that soon enough it will be light by 6:00 am but still, I don’t want to go back to running indoors. I am enjoying my early morning outdoor runs again way too much to go back indoors during the week!

thinking out loud #running #magnoliabakery #hersheypark #halfmarathon #thinkingoutloud… Click To Tweet

Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

Where was your first half marathon or first ever race?

Are you planning any trips for this summer?

What was for dinner last night?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine March 10, 2016, 5:10 am

My first race was the Baltimore half-marathon in 2007! Its nice that I can run that race every year and remember what it was like to run it for the first time. I can’t believe its already time to change the clocks. I have really been enjoying the lighter mornings too!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Upper Body Strength for RunnersMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:06 pm

Yeah, that is really nice that you can run it every year! Sort of like me and the li half lately although it was my third half, not my first. But, it remains my pr race!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 10, 2016, 6:02 am

I’m totally dreading it being dark in the morning again too! I think only runners feel that way! I’ll have to run the Hershey half at some point, definitely, possibly the next time you do!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…My Mood, Spring Fever, and Two New FirstsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 6:06 am

omg we are way ahead of ourselves but maybe next year we can both go and do it! that would be so fun for the kids…and us!

• Hollie March 10, 2016, 6:19 am

I’m glad you like the ride so much. It’s such a great shoe.

Your son getting sick sounds like what has been going around here lately. It flared up within a few hours. I went from being fine to puking. UGH, gross LOL.
    Hollie recently posted…A Look at My Race MorningsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:06 pm

I really do like them! And yes, so much going around, I just hope I don’t catch it after just being sick with a different virus.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe March 10, 2016, 6:50 am

My friend and I were going to do the Hershey Half a few years ago but then budget wise we couldn’t swing it (we were both unemployed at the time) but it is totally on my list! I hope that everyone is much improved, health wise! There are so many things going around right now!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Transitioning to Spring Running in Prana Style (Running Coaches Corner)My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 10, 2016, 7:42 am

Having candy thrown at you at the aid stations? Okay. Now that’s totally a race I could run
    😆 And I’m kind of looking forward to turning the clocks ahead… but that might be because I look at it from a food blogging perspective and will really appreciate the extra light later in the day 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…mountain scenes, teasers, and what i do when procrastinating (ToL#173)My Profile

• Michelle @ Lively Chicken March 10, 2016, 8:10 am

I’ve been thinking the opposite about the clocks moving forward! I’m excited to have more daylight in the evenings to run!

I’m definitely stuck on my main running shoes – Brooks Ghost 7s. I need a new pair soon so might try something different.
    Michelle @ Lively Chicken recently posted…A Rundown of My Week & A Few Questions for Running BloggersMy Profile

• Lesq March 10, 2016, 8:11 am

Hope your son is feeling better. It’s hard to watch them suffer. My daughter already told me she NEEDS to have the banana, chocolate bread pudding from Magnolia immediately! I have never had the original banana one, but she said its rock’in good. Running a half in Hershey Park sounds wonderfully decadent and and just plain fun.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

I don’t care for the regular banana pudding. It’s great if that’s what you like but the chocolate version would be more my style. Looking forward to trying it.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns March 10, 2016, 8:14 am

I love love love the Hershey Half! Such a fun race. Dan and I go to the park as much as possible when we visit his family. Maybe I’ll run into you there!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Simple Spring RollsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Such a great time. I love the food and how clean the park is! Can’t wait for our little trip and I really want to run the half again!

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood March 10, 2016, 8:24 am

tfffff/ Uh, chocolate banana pudding? Yes. Pleaseget this and tell us IMMEDIATELY how it is!
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…Prepare Your Blog for a BabyMy Profile

• Arthi March 10, 2016, 9:03 am

The Hershey half sounds so fun! It’s the weekend after the Chicago Marathon so maybe I’ll try to get out there for a recovery run/refueling with lots of chocolate session.

My first half was the P.F. Chang’s Rock n’ Roll Race in Tempe. I was in college at ASU and had such a blast with it … Except that it was 20 degrees at the start which was not at all expected!
    Arthi recently posted…Monday Night Confessions – Part 50, Take 2.My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes March 10, 2016, 9:15 am

I’m so glad the Saucony Rides are working out for you! They look great also. I’m itching to get the new Kinvaras to try but they’re only online right now.
    I am very much not looking forward to the time change either. I like light in the morning!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Celebrate Your Success: February Goals Check InMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:01 pm

Ugh, I hope it’s not too too dark next week! Maybe it will get light again really soon. I know it can’t stay dark for long with spring almost here

• Ellie March 10, 2016, 9:20 am

My first half marathon was called the Monster and it was on the side of a ski mountain. It was cool, but it took me two more years to do another one. Now I love running 13.1 miles. I don’t need a fancy medal or tee shirt, just the open road and a waffle at the end lol
    Ellie recently posted…Running Rambles #8: Mizuno Wave Rider ReviewMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl March 10, 2016, 9:47 am

My first half was the NYC Half in March 2014, and I’m about to run it for the third year in a row. I think I might try and convince my boyfriend to make Hershey his first half, using your rationale 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #48: Behind the InstagramMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 3:00 pm

you guys should so run the Hershey half! that would be a fun little trip!

• Emily March 10, 2016, 10:19 am

YUMMY! That chocolate banana pudding look so yummy, and the Hershey park marathon also sounds really fun! A chocolate aid station would be THE BEST!
    Emily recently posted…TOLT: Trust And Intuitive EatingMy Profile

• Suzy March 10, 2016, 10:34 am

My first race was in 1997 in Vancouver. I was 19 years old! I ran it in 1:47. I’ll never forget. 🙂 I used to run in Saucony Rides. I’m not sure why I switched! I can’t remember anymore.
    Suzy recently posted…Death MarchMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 2:59 pm

It’s funny when we switch and we don’t know why! I used to run in saucony years ago. And then I was in asics which I forgot about!

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com March 10, 2016, 10:44 am

I love the Ride 7’s! I ran in them for my second half and they were in my shoe rotation for my third half marathon training. I tried the 8’s on but didn’t like them as much. My first half marathon was the St. Michael’s half in Maryland, which I love because it’s small and along the water.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Half Marathon Training Recap, Week 9My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 2:58 pm

I really like them and got them on such a great deal I should probably grab another pair.

• Alaina @ The Simple Peach March 10, 2016, 11:09 am

Hershey Park is such a fun place. I have fond memories of going there as a girl. Now you have me wanting banana pudding AND another race. Rotating shoes is important. I am trying to get better about branching out. It’s a struggle.
    Alaina @ The Simple Peach recently posted…TCS NYC Marathon, All The Feels & Frank SinatraMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 2:58 pm

SO important to not wear the same pair of running shoes every day! Ever since I started rotating a few years ago, my feet really appreciated it and it’s good to give the shoes a break too

• Shannon March 10, 2016, 12:55 pm

I haven’t ever heard of Hershey Park, but I need to go there! A theme park dedicated to chocolate?!?!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 2:57 pm

oh wow, really? It’s such a nice theme park with resorts. It’s in PA, you have to get there one day!

• Fiona March 10, 2016, 2:23 pm

You’re right about rotating your running shoes and taking a gamble to try new ones because when you do find another pair that you love, it’s fabulous! I’m currently just trying to decide which new (and different) pair to try… Glad to hear yours are working out!
    Fiona recently posted…Paris Marathon: 4 Weeks OutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 2:57 pm

running shoes are a tricky thing to figure out so I was lucky to actually this new pair of saucony’s to add to my rotation!

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat March 10, 2016, 4:26 pm

I love the banana pudding as well and have been tempted to go try the chocolate one. There is a magnolia in Penn now near the 8th Ave LIRR area and I figure sooner or later my curiosity will get the best of me.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Health Stuff: Crohn’s + IBS DiagnosisMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 10, 2016, 4:33 pm

I heard they opened in penn! I was thinking we can just take the train, stop in penn for the pudding and go home lol…although then I may need red mango since that’s in penn too

• Caroline M March 10, 2016, 8:18 pm

I would definitely want to do the Hershey Half mostly because the idea of having candy thrown at me is really appealing. I’m thinking of running the Richmond Marathon this fall mostly because there are multiple candy stops and pizza after. The second best thing is that it’s only a short drive away from me. I think my priorities are correct haha 🙂

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 13, 2016, 5:19 pm

I love how a sick kid translates to grapes for momma. I could get down with that. I could also handle getting chocolate tossed at me during a race. In fact, I might even run for that. 🙂
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: The Pregnancy Edition (#21)My Profile