Stomach Virus Finds Me Again & Workout Recap

It’s Monday, not Sunday. I don’t want to confuse you with posting my workout recap today instead of yesterday! I gave myself the weekend off after coming down with a stomach virus late Thursday night which left me useless Friday, on the mend on Saturday and slowing returning to normal but tired by yesterday.

Stomach bugs and 24-hour type viruses always seem to find me. I can’t recall my last cold, never had the flu or bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throat or the chicken pox as a kid (the vaccine didn’t come out until I was 18 which I got) but the quick (and sometimes not so quick) stomach viruses have their way of knocking me down every so often.

As I laid on the floor of my bedroom Thursday night not sure if I should throw up or faint, I thought of the positives:

*At least I don’t have a race this weekend.

*At least my son doesn’t have this virus too.

*At least I work from home so I don’t need to try to get to an office in the morning.

*At least I don’t have my period at the same time  <-  the combination would be lethal I tell you, sort of like that legend which claims that combining both soda and fizz wiz pop rocks candy will explode your stomach. You can’t combine them.  You won’t live.

So there was no long run this weekend.

Although it felt so weird to not be running Saturday morning, there was absolutely no way it could happen, even though I was feeling better! While I have been hungry and eating since Friday, I certainly haven’t eaten enough to run long or really, run much at all. My body needed to rest and recover and whatever I have been eating is to recover from the virus, not to fuel a run. Although, I kind of feel like my diet is consisting of the foods one would consume for an upcoming big race.

bagels and food while sick

I have kept things pretty basic, carb-focused and bland to give my stomach as much time as possible to get back to 100% rather than rush it. Lots of bagels, eggs, bananas, mashed up baked potatoes, pretzels, mini pancakes and those cute chocolate cat cookies from Trader Joe’s.

Some viruses move quick and leave you feeling immediately okay but this one, which yes, involved vomiting, means you take a little longer to make sure you are back to normal. My diet which is normally loaded with fruits and vegetables is just not ideal right now and neither is running long. Soon enough though!

The rest of my week, before I was sick, was a nice week of running and workouts. Let’s take a look:

Monday – 6.50 Miles & Yoga

I started my morning with Yoga For Runners: Pre-Run before heading outside for an easy run. I wasn’t at all sore or even overly fatigued from Saturday’s best ever long run but kept things to a recovery paced run as to not overdo myself so early in the week.

splits

Tuesday – 6 Miles & Pure Barre Tone in 10

I thought it would be raining when I woke up but it wasn’t! I was rather happy because I wasn’t in the mood to run on the treadmill. Actually, I realized I wasn’t in the mood to run very much at all once I got outside. Funny how that happens right? You get all ready for your run, get outside, start running and realize you don’t feel like it. At 3 miles I figured I would only run 4 but then I went to 6.

Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo:

• Arms & Abs
  • Back & Cool down

Wednesday – 10 Miles & Yoga

I tried a Yoga HIIT workout which Michele recommended in her workout recap last week. I liked it just fine for the first several minutes until my legs were both supposed to somehow get in the air and that’s when I shut it off and went outside to do something I could do – run.

I went with my negative split workout and since I wasn’t in a rush, I extended the cool down for a total of 10 miles.

splits

A little later in the morning I stretched with Yoga For Runners: Post-Run

Thursday – 3 Miles Plus Yoga & Pure Barre

I started my morning with Yoga for Runners: Pre-Run and followed it up with Pure Barre before going outside for a run.

Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo:

• Full Body Workout
  • Thighs & Abs

3 Miles at a an easy pace. Funny how 3 miles sometimes means I am just getting warmed up and sometimes, like today, seems like forever and I am so ready to get home when they are finished. At this point I thought my stomach felt weird but nothing I would have complained about, little did I know!

Friday – Sick Day

Saturday  – Rest Day

I went for a short walk in the morning because I did feel better and needed to get outside!

Sunday – 3 Miles

I definitely felt better but more than 3 miles was not happening. It was pretty weird to realize that my legs felt so rested yet I knew I could not possibly go any further or any faster.

splits

It was really warm for February so we went into the city for the day to walk around and get some air.

Screenshot (3)

And now it’s back to school and routine and all of that fun stuff 🙂

stomach virus strikes again & workout recap #running #virus #purebarre #yoga #workouts… Click To Tweet

******

What have I missed? Fill me in!

Do you remember the fizz wiz pop rocks candy?

What foods do you favor while trying to recover from a stomach bug?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe February 22, 2016, 7:44 am

Pop rocks RULE! I still occasionally buy them if we are in a novelty store 😀 I’m sorry that you were sidelined again, but hopefully on the permanent mend!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…I Walk It Out! (Weekend Recap)My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma February 22, 2016, 8:13 am

ugh tried to comment this morning and it disappeared! We also were somehow able to get everyone to the city for a couple of hours to enjoy the weather, otherwise it was major rest mode. Glad you’re feeling better now – I always empathize with stomach bugs, they are so miserable!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Boston Marathon Training Week 4 and What My Gross Shoes Taught MeMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes February 22, 2016, 8:26 am

I’m sorry to hear you were sick! Stomach bugs are the worst. I eat a lot of bagels when I’m sick, but bagels are always a comfort food that I crave.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Training Week 10My Profile

• Ellie February 22, 2016, 8:35 am

I’m surprised you didn’t run the CNY half. Was it in your neck of the woods?
    Ellie recently posted…Week In Review: I Feel Like I Got Hit By A TruckMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 22, 2016, 8:38 am

I don’t know what half you mean? And good thing I wasn’t registered since I am still getting over being sick.

• Arthi February 22, 2016, 9:04 am

Ohhhh stomach bugs are the WORST. The last time I dealt with one I was in D.C. for work. I somehow managed to drag myself to the airport/back home to Chicago without throwing up all over TSA. I stuck with saltines/animal crackers for a while .. Hope you’re feeling better!! So sorry that happened!!
    Arthi recently posted…Three Things.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2016, 2:10 pm

aw I love animal crackers! I commend you for somehow flying home. I can’t even stand up when I am sick!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl February 22, 2016, 9:32 am

Lots of ginger ale, chicken soup and rest! Also all the carbs while I’m on the mend.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 2/16-2/22My Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com February 22, 2016, 9:54 am

Sorry to hear you were under the weather, stomach bugs are the worst! I work in a middle school so I live in constant fear of contracting some sort of virus haha. I’m all about soup, bagels, and crackers when I’m sick!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Weekend Wrap-UpMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner February 22, 2016, 10:34 am

Those 24 hour bugs are sometimes more intense than a longer illness. I’m glad you’re on the mend! Seriously no fun at all.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Back to the College DaysMy Profile

• Suzy February 22, 2016, 11:06 am

The only good thing about a stomach bug is that it’s over with fairly quick. Hopefully it’s all behind you now!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• Marina @ Snackie Bird February 22, 2016, 1:20 pm

I hope you get well soon! Last time such a virus I had in the summer and everything that I could eat – a dry biscuit with raisins.

• Marina @ Snackie Bird February 22, 2016, 1:26 pm

Ooops, I comment something wrong here 😀 Please, delete it!

• Shannon February 22, 2016, 4:37 pm

I hope you feel better! Stomach bugs are the worst!
    Shannon recently posted…Banana Monkey Bread with Peanut Butter SauceMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine February 22, 2016, 7:19 pm

Ugh sorry you were so sick! It definitely takes me awhile to feel back to normal running after I had a stomach bug. I do best with bland foods when Im sick so my diet would look alot like yours!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekly Recap: A Hint of SpringMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 25, 2016, 5:43 am

Oh man, I hope you’re feeling better and fully recovered now. The stomach flu sucks, no other way to say it, although all those carbs are singing to me or rather the baby.