Thinking Out Loud 2.18.16

Thinking-Out-Loud

I had a dream about Cookie Crisp cereal the other night followed by a dream about Tropicana Orange Juice last night. Am I the only one not only having random food dreams but food dreams specifically focused on the breakfast foods of their childhood?

I read this quick little article in Self Magazine about planks which I must have already known but forgot I knew but am glad to know again.

planks

The Pure Barre warm up, which is often the hardest part of the workout for me, focuses on warming up the core – all makes sense  now as to why they start their workouts like this.

Lately I feel even more plank pathetic than usual, by the way. I was never great at them, I have no desire to be great at them, I just want to find that happy medium where I can do them without feeling as though I am on the brink of death each morning that I find myself in the darn plank position.

While I was at my parents house the other day, I felt like coloring. I found a box of my Crayola crayons and some Hello Kitty papers from my past and got busy. An hour later, I was still sitting there in my happy place. It’s a wonder I ever grew up, moved out, got married and had a child of my own. I swear.

crayola coloring

I have been able to run outdoors all week! It’s been glorious. As much as I have appreciated the treadmill this winter, at some point last week I just felt the need to get outside again. I just wanted to move forward, not run in place!

Yesterday’s run outside was terrific too! I ran my negative split workout which I haven’t done in a really long time and since I wasn’t in a rush, I extended the cool down for a total of 10 miles.

splits

I would show you the box of mini black and white cookies that we had in the house this week but I kind of sort of ate the black (chocolate) frosting off of just about each cookie when my son wasn’t looking and once he saw, he took them away from me.

It did not go over well. At least not well for him, I was certainly satisfied. And really, what’s the big deal? It’s not like I ate all of the cookies, I left them for him, they were just missing some frosting.

And I really don’t want to talk about this but I am going to tell you that I cannot locate my lululemon run with me neck warmer that I wear for running. It was last seen last Friday when I took it off after my run. Where did it go? I don’t lose things, except, well, for last year’s lululemon run with me neck warmer. I still haven’t found that one. I don’t understand. What’s my problem with these neck warmers? Please tell me it will turn up. I can’t even talk or think about it. It just has to be here.

Thinking Out Loud #running #planks #purebarre #crayons #cookiecrisp #thinkingoutloud #fitfluential @runwithspoons Click To Tweet

Click here to see what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

*************

Favorite breakfast as a kid?

Who else got to run outside this week?

Do you lose things easily?

Comments

1. says

That’s hilarious about the frosting on the cookies! I’m the one that eats the chunks out of the ice cream and leaves the rest.

Nice job on that negative split workout. I hope you get to run outside soon!
    Suzy recently posted…Antisocial StipulationsMy Profile

2. says

I love the idea of warming up the core BEFORE working out never thought of that. I just started warming up before runs with dynamic movements like walking lunges, donkey kicks etc and have noticed a huge difference in how engaged my glutes feel now.

I got to run a few times outside which was really nice. And I don’t really remember having a favourite breakfast as a kid. Probably toast with yummy spreads! I was never ever into cereal with milk I know that.

3. says

This is going to sound crazy, but Dan’s family has a theory about things that get lost. Hear me out because I’ve experienced it first hand. There are these people from the future who come and take different things from us to put in their museums to show what life was like in the 21st century. You have to ask them to bring back the items, and they’ll return it but sometimes it’s in a weird spot. This happened a few weeks ago with the remote- Dan and I were looking for it EVERYWHERE and we finally asked the future people to bring it back, and we found it inside of his backpack. Why the heck would a remote be in a backpack? I told you..it’s a crazy theory but I half believe in it! Kind of like praying to Saint Anthony I guess!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Favorite Podcasts for Running [That Aren’t Serial]My Profile

4. says

When I train people on how to do planks properly, I give them a cheat….imagine the weight of your body pushing out through your heels. This mental focus helps you physically push back a little bit and takes the stress off of the shoulders, arms, and abs, while still keeping them engaged. A plank is really about the whole body, but we mostly think of the abs and forget to engage the rest of the core and the backside of the body. The legs should also help here too, but no one thinks about that either.

On a different note, we have a box of Fruity Pebbles in our pantry right now. They are my husband’s favorite and we made him heart shaped “rice krispy” treats out of them for valentines day. If you haven’t ever tried it, you should! Sooooo good!
    AmberLynn recently posted…Dear TODAY Show…..My Profile

• says

love fruity and cocoa pebbles! I have made the treats with them but not in forever! So so good! As for the planks- thanks! Pure Barre has you push out on the heels too which definitely helps. I do so much better when I am warmed up or even after my run with the planks – but at the start of a workout? killer!

5. says

My favorite breakfast as a kid was eggo waffles drowned in syrup. I ate them on Saturday mornings while watching cartoons. I don’t really lose too many things. I don’t remember losing stuff until I find it a few weeks later hahaha. Obviously it wasn’t that important 😉
    Ellie recently posted…Running Rambles #5 [Perspective]My Profile

6. says

Favorite breakfast as a kid had to either be my dad’s Grand Marnier french toast or chocolate chip pancakes. But as I’ve gotten older I actually am not super crazy about pancakes, I have to really be in the mood for them. This weekend is supposed to be super nice outside and I can’t wait to do my 10 miler in the fresh air! Hope you find your neck warmer!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Thoughts On Making A MurdererMy Profile

7. says

We’re complete opposites regarding planks. I’ve been doing them for years – usually a long one in the morning after waking up and then one or two shorter ones at night. Sssh: they’re more fun when reading on your phone while you hold them ;).
    Colouring is an activity I should probably pick up again as I”ve had trouble calming my mind down lately. I’m jealous of your Hello Kitty paper!
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Healthy Nut and Seed Brittle [vegan + paleo]My Profile