Thinking Out Loud 2.18.16

Thinking-Out-Loud

I had a dream about Cookie Crisp cereal the other night followed by a dream about Tropicana Orange Juice last night. Am I the only one not only having random food dreams but food dreams specifically focused on the breakfast foods of their childhood?

I read this quick little article in Self Magazine about planks which I must have already known but forgot I knew but am glad to know again.

planks

The Pure Barre warm up, which is often the hardest part of the workout for me, focuses on warming up the core – all makes sense  now as to why they start their workouts like this.

Lately I feel even more plank pathetic than usual, by the way. I was never great at them, I have no desire to be great at them, I just want to find that happy medium where I can do them without feeling as though I am on the brink of death each morning that I find myself in the darn plank position.

While I was at my parents house the other day, I felt like coloring. I found a box of my Crayola crayons and some Hello Kitty papers from my past and got busy. An hour later, I was still sitting there in my happy place. It’s a wonder I ever grew up, moved out, got married and had a child of my own. I swear.

crayola coloring

I have been able to run outdoors all week! It’s been glorious. As much as I have appreciated the treadmill this winter, at some point last week I just felt the need to get outside again. I just wanted to move forward, not run in place!

Yesterday’s run outside was terrific too! I ran my negative split workout which I haven’t done in a really long time and since I wasn’t in a rush, I extended the cool down for a total of 10 miles.

splits

I would show you the box of mini black and white cookies that we had in the house this week but I kind of sort of ate the black (chocolate) frosting off of just about each cookie when my son wasn’t looking and once he saw, he took them away from me.

It did not go over well. At least not well for him, I was certainly satisfied. And really, what’s the big deal? It’s not like I ate all of the cookies, I left them for him, they were just missing some frosting.

And I really don’t want to talk about this but I am going to tell you that I cannot locate my lululemon run with me neck warmer that I wear for running. It was last seen last Friday when I took it off after my run. Where did it go? I don’t lose things, except, well, for last year’s lululemon run with me neck warmer. I still haven’t found that one. I don’t understand. What’s my problem with these neck warmers? Please tell me it will turn up. I can’t even talk or think about it. It just has to be here.

Thinking Out Loud #running #planks #purebarre #crayons #cookiecrisp #thinkingoutloud… Click To Tweet

Click here to see what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

*************

Favorite breakfast as a kid?

Who else got to run outside this week?

Do you lose things easily?

• Suzy February 18, 2016, 5:11 am

That’s hilarious about the frosting on the cookies! I’m the one that eats the chunks out of the ice cream and leaves the rest.

Nice job on that negative split workout. I hope you get to run outside soon!
    Suzy recently posted…Antisocial StipulationsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:08 pm

I totally eat the chunks out of the ice cream too. I love picking stuff out of food lol

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma February 18, 2016, 5:48 am

Maybe the food dreams are connected to you coloring at your parents house 🙂 coloring is one thing I never do for some reason, maybe it would calm me down!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Let’s Go There – Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 5:52 am

omg you have to color! especially since you have girls! I always like to color with my friend’s daughters!

• Hollie February 18, 2016, 5:51 am

I have gotten more runs out this week than last week thankfully. That is hilarious about the cookies.

Losing the lululemon sounds like a horrible thing, that stuff is not cheap.
    Hollie recently posted…Blogging about BloggingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:07 pm

The scarf has to be here! I mean, where else could it be? I came home with it after my run! Ugh.

• Christina February 18, 2016, 6:41 am

I love the idea of warming up the core BEFORE working out never thought of that. I just started warming up before runs with dynamic movements like walking lunges, donkey kicks etc and have noticed a huge difference in how engaged my glutes feel now.

I got to run a few times outside which was really nice. And I don’t really remember having a favourite breakfast as a kid. Probably toast with yummy spreads! I was never ever into cereal with milk I know that.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:07 pm

warming up the core makes a ton of sense. I don’t love it since I am not warmed up enough for it if I do pure barre before a run but after a few minutes, it’s all good!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe February 18, 2016, 6:52 am

I didn’t like breakfast as a kid, but I would say that Eggo waffles made repeat appearances. Also toaster pastries and scramblers. I was obsessed (and still would be, if they had discontinued them) with Team Cheerios.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Getting Intimate: Podcasts and My Colonoscopy ResultsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:05 pm

Multigrain cheerios were so good, I ate them a lot when I was pregnant. Kept a box at my desk.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine February 18, 2016, 7:06 am

It’s been so nice to be back to running outside! I didnt go out on Tuesday because it was an ice rink out there, but otherwise it’s been ok.
    I ate tons of bagels as a kid. I wasn’t really a fan of cereal, but it was always some kind of carb, like frozen waffles.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…One Week Without Coffee (5.5 to go…)My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 18, 2016, 7:38 am

I feel like I ate a lot of cereal as a kid… Cinnamon Toast Crunch was a big one for me. Corn Pops. And then pancakes on the weekends when my mom was home. Oh! And I went through a muffin phase. And an Eggo phase. And a Poptart phase. Lots of breakfast phases 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…new leggings, heart shaped pizzas, & a book i love (ToL#170)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:05 pm

I loved chocolate chip and corn muffins. And waffles. ANd French toast. And cocoa pebbles. And life cereal for sure.

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 18, 2016, 8:12 am

I am going to have buy an adult coloring book along with some kids ones when the little one gets old enough. That could be kind of cool.

I don’t lose things either so when something is misplaced, I go a little bonkers too.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Sweet and Salty Trail Mix Granola RecipeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

I loved coloring with my son and still love coloring with my friends’ daughters. But I can’t use an adult coloring book. I am too much of a child.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns February 18, 2016, 8:28 am

This is going to sound crazy, but Dan’s family has a theory about things that get lost. Hear me out because I’ve experienced it first hand. There are these people from the future who come and take different things from us to put in their museums to show what life was like in the 21st century. You have to ask them to bring back the items, and they’ll return it but sometimes it’s in a weird spot. This happened a few weeks ago with the remote- Dan and I were looking for it EVERYWHERE and we finally asked the future people to bring it back, and we found it inside of his backpack. Why the heck would a remote be in a backpack? I told you..it’s a crazy theory but I half believe in it! Kind of like praying to Saint Anthony I guess!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Favorite Podcasts for Running [That Aren’t Serial]My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes February 18, 2016, 8:43 am

I hope you find your neck warmer! I lose things all the time, which is sad because we only have a 900 sq ft apartment. Sometimes Charlie takes things and I find them in his hiding place under the bed.
    That’s awesome you got to run outside! Great job on that 10 miler.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Glycogen Depletion Runs: The Purpose, the Benefits, and the RisksMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:03 pm

I wish I had a dog to use an excuse. Ugh, it better turn up! It has to be here!

• AmberLynn February 18, 2016, 8:48 am

When I train people on how to do planks properly, I give them a cheat….imagine the weight of your body pushing out through your heels. This mental focus helps you physically push back a little bit and takes the stress off of the shoulders, arms, and abs, while still keeping them engaged. A plank is really about the whole body, but we mostly think of the abs and forget to engage the rest of the core and the backside of the body. The legs should also help here too, but no one thinks about that either.

On a different note, we have a box of Fruity Pebbles in our pantry right now. They are my husband’s favorite and we made him heart shaped “rice krispy” treats out of them for valentines day. If you haven’t ever tried it, you should! Sooooo good!
    AmberLynn recently posted…Dear TODAY Show…..My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 8:51 am

love fruity and cocoa pebbles! I have made the treats with them but not in forever! So so good! As for the planks- thanks! Pure Barre has you push out on the heels too which definitely helps. I do so much better when I am warmed up or even after my run with the planks – but at the start of a workout? killer!

• Ellie February 18, 2016, 9:32 am

My favorite breakfast as a kid was eggo waffles drowned in syrup. I ate them on Saturday mornings while watching cartoons. I don’t really lose too many things. I don’t remember losing stuff until I find it a few weeks later hahaha. Obviously it wasn’t that important 😉
    Ellie recently posted…Running Rambles #5 [Perspective]My Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood February 18, 2016, 9:33 am

I think my favorite part is that your parents KEPT the crayons and coloring books. Also, I think everyone has that one thing they ALWAY lose. My husband isn’t too bad with losing things, but always loses one glove. (which, obviously, becomes my fault immediately ahhahh)
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…Differences Between My First and Second PregnancyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 18, 2016, 12:02 pm

HA! They keep everything, and definitely still have crayons because they have had a ton of stuff for my son to do at their house (when he was little he would color).

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com February 18, 2016, 9:57 am

Favorite breakfast as a kid had to either be my dad’s Grand Marnier french toast or chocolate chip pancakes. But as I’ve gotten older I actually am not super crazy about pancakes, I have to really be in the mood for them. This weekend is supposed to be super nice outside and I can’t wait to do my 10 miler in the fresh air! Hope you find your neck warmer!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Thoughts On Making A MurdererMy Profile

• Emily February 18, 2016, 9:59 am

Yay, I’m glad I’m not the only one who loves to color as an adult. Coloring is a really therapeutic simple reminder of what it is to just be a kid again. And it looks like your run went TREMENDOUSLY well! 🙂
    Emily recently posted…How My Family Helped My RecoveryMy Profile

• Heather@hungryforbalance February 18, 2016, 1:25 pm

Peanut butter crunch was my FAVORITE when I was a kid. Like, I ate it every day.
    I’ve been in trying to hold a 2 minute plank every day for the past month or so. It’s tough and it never feels any easier.
    I love barre workouts- in fact, I’m going through barre training next month
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…Thinking out loud – bravery, barre, and bossinessMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 21, 2016, 6:28 am

That’s so exciting! I don’t think I could ever be a barre instructor but I find it so cool

• Miss Polkadot February 18, 2016, 2:21 pm

We’re complete opposites regarding planks. I’ve been doing them for years – usually a long one in the morning after waking up and then one or two shorter ones at night. Sssh: they’re more fun when reading on your phone while you hold them ;).
    Colouring is an activity I should probably pick up again as I”ve had trouble calming my mind down lately. I’m jealous of your Hello Kitty paper!
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Healthy Nut and Seed Brittle [vegan + paleo]My Profile

• Marissa February 18, 2016, 8:28 pm

You’re lucky to be able to run outside! It’s been a bit cold her yet…Today was a bit warmer, but I hear it’s not supposed to last very long!
    Marissa recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday #3My Profile

• Arthi February 19, 2016, 9:21 am

Favorite breakfast as a kid … French toast! It was always such a treat when my mom would make it. If not french toast … Any and all of the sugary cereal 🙂
    Arthi recently posted…A quiet night in.My Profile

• Edye February 23, 2016, 7:45 pm

My favorite breakfast food as a little kid was my Grandma’s sunny side up eggs and toast 🙂 Have an awesome day <3

Blessings,