WIAW – I Woke Up Ravenous

Today’s What I Ate Wednesday is featuring the foods I ate on Monday which is actually perfect timing after yesterday’s finding balance post.

I woke up on Monday absolutely ravenous.

I didn’t run on Sunday but I have a feeling that last week’s week of running combined with Saturday’s long run on the treadmill had a cumulative effect on me and my appetite.

What I Ate Wednesday February 10, 2016

Pre-Run Breakfast:

I mashed some banana with a scoop of already cooked oatmeal, added cinnamon, almond milk and warmed it all up. My coffee went down in two sips again, why does that always happen?!

oatmeal

I realized when I was finished that I was not satisfied so I had another half of a banana with some peanut butter before heading to the treadmill. I try not to eat too much too close to my run but if I am truly hungry, I can run just fine with more food in my stomach. Nothing good can come from me trying to run when I am hungry.

I skipped Pure Barre Monday morning because I just wasn’t feeling it. I needed an easy run but since it was snowing, the easy run had to happen on the treadmill, which is not always easy to accomplish. Easy runs work better for me outdoors because my pace can fall where it feels like falling. On the treadmill, I have to pick my speed which usually means I run faster than I would naturally outside.

Post-Run Breakfast:

I only ran 3 miles because I was getting bored. I finished my workout on the elliptical and came home ravenous, once again, as if I just ran one of my long runs.

I had my usual post-run oatmeal + Skoop + berries + peanut butter but because I was starving, I changed the amounts to satisfy me better.

I filled the bowl with extra oatmeal, less berries (wasn’t feeling fruity), extra Skoop and a lot of peanut butter. There’s peanut butter mixed in to the oatmeal, on top of the oatmeal and even more on my spoon.

I am lucky I stopped to take a picture considering I just wanted to eat!

oatmeal

I felt so much better after eating this! Good amounts of oatmeal and peanut butter can really stick to your ribs like they say. I am always so happy when I can nip the appetite monster in the bud in the morning. I hate to have that hungry feeling lingering all day long.

Lunch:

Maybe Michele is rubbing off on me — I was in the mood for eggs. I made an omelette with roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli and brussels sprouts.

omelette-with-roasted-veggies

It was so good! I wish I was always in the mood for such a savory lunch but unfortunately, my appetite and cravings change from day-to-day. I can’t eat something unless I am in the mood for it.

Pretty sure I snacked on some apple slices in the afternoon. I always grab something when I walk by the kitchen or open the refrigerator for water.

Dinner:

Just as planned, I made my Meatless Monday stir fry bowl. I was going to sub the shrimp in the recipe with chick peas until I decided I felt like more eggs.

I love eggs in Asian flavored dishes.

My dinner became sort of similar to my lunch since it involves roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli and brussels sprouts again but there’s also rice in the bowl along with some Island Soyaki sauce.

stir fry bowl

Dessert:

I had a few honey crisp apples this week so my apple and peanut butter combo was overly exciting to me. I love giant honey crisp apples.

apple with peanut butter

For some reason, I didn’t even feel the need for chocolate chips with the apple and peanut butter combo.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today 🙂

WIAW - I woke up ravenous #wiaw #eggs #oatmeal #runner #fitfluential @healthyskoop Click To Tweet

**************

What fills you best when you are ravenous at breakfast?

Favorite lunch lately?

Which vegetables are you always cooking with?

• Suzy February 10, 2016, 6:02 am

I’m like you with the oatmeal and peanut butter thing. That type of breakfast will fill up my bellayy long enough for me to get all my stuff done in the morning.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: The Wrong Kind of FoamMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma February 10, 2016, 6:09 am

All over your lunch dinner and dessert! Funny but I was also really hungry on Monday and also thought there was some sort of delay after my long run. I had Brussels sprouts with my breakfast yesterday – so good.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW Super Bowl Sunday and When Paleo Has to GoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:30 pm

Yeah, it must have been a delay for both of us – I was so hungry! I knew you would like my eggs!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine February 10, 2016, 6:26 am

I definitely think eggs do the best job of filling me up when Im really hungry in the morning. Not sure if I have a favorite lunch lately, but it just depends how good my leftovers are that I bring to work. I have been enjoying warm lunches more than salads lately, though.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…What I Ate And Did On MondayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:30 pm

Warm lunches are good when it gets this cold. It’s supposed to be so cold this weekend, I can’t even watch the weather anymore!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe February 10, 2016, 7:51 am

I woke up ravenous after gorging myself at the Super Bowl party. I will never understand that phenomenon.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Sacral Stress Fracture Recovery UpdateMy Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood February 10, 2016, 8:15 am

Nothing is better than a giant honey crisp apple. Except, maybe a free one, since those ain’t cheap. Your lunch looks amaaazing!
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: 7 Months and 20 MonthsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:29 pm

Ugh I know, so pricey but when I see them, I have to get at least one or two!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns February 10, 2016, 8:16 am

Oats are definitely a food that fills me up when I’m hungry in the morning! Some kind of egg scramble also works really well for me.
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : New Running Gadgets and GearMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:29 pm

Oatmeal can really be filling if we load the bowl up the right way. My favorite!

• Brie February 10, 2016, 9:04 am

Ohh your stir fry bowl looks so delicious! Sweet potatoes and broccoli are two of my favorites! I just a broccoli quiche last weekend.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:28 pm

I think I make sweet potatoes and broccoli almost every day of the week!

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com February 10, 2016, 9:08 am

Oatmeal is definitely my favorite post-run breakfast–the combination of oats, almond milk, protein powder & almond butter always leaves me satisfied. Favorite lunch this week has been a chicken sandwich with a side salad–I was having just the sandwich earlier in the week but it wasn’t enough to fill me up. Fave veggies I always cook with–brussel sprouts and asparagus!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Race Wish ListMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl February 10, 2016, 9:41 am

Love both the eggs and peanut butter/oatmeal combo, both have been staples for me for a long time. I find I often crave a sweeter breakfast earlier in the morning, but go for savory at brunch or closer to lunchtime, so my day would be similar!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #44My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:27 pm

Yep, we are alike like that! Definitely need sweet over savory in the morning.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 10, 2016, 10:03 am

I’ve been doing oatmeal for breakfast lately, and then usually baked oatmeal and a smoothie for lunch. But the savoury bug has been hitting a little bit more over the past while, so I”m thinking I’ll go that route for lunch today. Maybe Mexican. I need me some salsa.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…currently – february 2016My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:27 pm

I think the savory bug hit me this week – I am sure next week will be another story.

• Ellie February 10, 2016, 10:17 am

I always eat a huge breakfast, but if I’m feeling extra ravenous I add more nuts or PB. I can always eat more of that. My favorite lunch lately is chickpeas and cheese. It’s my comfort food and so filling and delicious. Have a great day!
    Ellie recently posted…Pan Roasted Maple Walnuts [and WIAW]My Profile

• Emily February 10, 2016, 10:29 am

Yes it’s never fun to go running on an empty stomach. Your dinner looks like such a yummy, simple bowl of goodness.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: I’m Struggling but Fighting …My Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner February 10, 2016, 11:01 am

I pretty much eat carrots and green beans daily. And baked potatoes every night. I’m always hungriest on rest days, usually after hard runs. I’ve been doing a lot of doubles with barre/yoga lately which has caused my appetite to be through the roof. Just adding a little bit of extra food to each meal goes a long way to tame the endless stomach.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…When Mom Comes to TownMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:26 pm

Yeah my appetite kicks in after hard runs in the days following .Sometimes it takes two days after. I try to add extra at breakfast and lunch to tame the endless stomach. Usually works.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld February 10, 2016, 12:16 pm

Okay, cumulative effect of hunger must be a thing- I was ravenous yesterday and ate my entire photoshoot haha!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Coffee TalkMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes February 10, 2016, 12:40 pm

Oats always fill me up after a run, but I can’t do them before. Toast and banana are best for holding me over until after my run when I wake up ravenous!
    Eggs and potatoes are my favorite lunch right now, with spinach/arugula, tomatoes, and a pear on the side. It’s just the right amount of filling and fresh without causing a huge energy spike and drop later in the afternoon.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…You’re Not a Cookie Cutter Runner, So Stop Using a Cookie Cutter PlanMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 10, 2016, 3:24 pm

So funny how different we all are – oatmeal is the best for me before a run, sits well and keeps me from getting hungry!

• Fiona February 10, 2016, 1:45 pm

Porridge is a great filler-upper in the morning or my favourite is a soft boiled egg and soldiers. Fills me right up!
    Fiona recently posted…Eating The Burn: ProteinMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 11, 2016, 6:47 am

Michele is definitely rubbing off on you but I love it because that is my kind of lunch. I wouldn’t turn down dinner either. Hooray for veggies, potatoes and eggs.