new running shoes & workout recap

I went to Runner’s Edge (my local runner’s shop) on Friday thinking I was going to buy some new running socks but ended up not only with new socks (Thorlos — love them) but with a new pair of running shoes in the process.

I explained to the guy helping me (I felt bad for him, I am a nutty runner when it comes to talking about my feet and my running shoes) all about why I thought I needed new socks and maybe, just maybe, new running shoes too.

I thought I just needed a pedicure but when that didn’t help, I thought maybe it was my socks, like maybe I needed more cushion and padding up front to prevent that burning-type feeling that sometimes occurs.

After we chatted for a bit, here’s what I was presented with:

My Energy Boosts may not offer me a wide enough toe box. Their sock-like fit which is one of the main reasons I love them so, may give me the feeling of plenty of space but they are still a narrow shoe.

OR

I may need more support in the toe box.

OR

I may need to go up another half-size to get more room.

Long story short, rather than trying on the next size up in the Energy Boosts, I ended up walking out with a new pair of Brooks Glycerin 13’s half a size up from my usual full size up.

Brooks Glycerins 13

I ran my best half marathon to date in a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10’s so perhaps these will work for me? I don’t know.

I am not totally ready to talk about these running shoes just yet as I only ran 3 miles in them. I love how they feel, until I run. My feet missed my Energy Boosts pretty quickly….. so we will see what I end up doing.

Moving on to my workouts from the week…

workout recap

Monday – Pre-Run Yoga & 6 Miles

I went with an interval workout, starting off easier and gradually getting faster with each mile, alternating .50 easy, .50 speed. If only I wrote down the exact workout I made up so I could share it!

Tuesday – 7 Miles & Pure Barre Tone in 10

Uneventful treadmill run, I think I average somewhere around 8:50 overall.

Pure Barre Tone in 10: Seat & Abs < – my favorite one from the series of Tone in 10 Workouts

Wednesday – Cross-Training Day

Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo:

• Full Body
  • Thighs & Seat
  • Thighs & Abs < – so hard!

In the gym:

• 20 Minutes Elliptical
  • Free weights
  • 20 Minutes Elliptical

Thursday – 7 Miles

Thursday treadmill runs have become my day to play with the incline. This worked well for me today because I wasn’t feeling like I could push my pace, at least not for the first 5 miles <- PMS week tends to slows me down.

No real plan was followed, just inclines between 0.5 – 3.5 while adjusting the speed between 6.3 – 7.5 throughout the run.

Friday – Pure Barre & 5 Miles

My plan was to do a Pure Barre Mile High Series DVD but I couldn’t get the DVD player portion of the Play Station to work! Ugh.

So, Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo instead:

• Full Body
  • Thighs & Seat
  • Seat & Abs

5 miles on the treadmill right around 8:55 pace.

Saturday – 13.50 Miles (Outside!)

I was so happy to run outside even though my pace was all over the place and slower than it’s been in a while.

splits

So many things at play today contributed to a slower than normal pace:

1. I haven’t run outdoors in 8 days and it was my first run this year with lots of snow on the ground around me.
  2. I had to dodge ice patches and weave on/off the path to avoid colliding with dog walkers (the snow narrowed our path so you couldn’t fit to pass someone else)
  3. I got my period (bleh!)
  4. Trying new running shoes

I ran the first 3 miles in the new pair of Brooks but went home to switch to my Boosts because #1 – you shouldn’t run long in a new pair of running shoes and #2 – by the third mile, my feet weren’t thrilled. Ugh, I hate experimenting with running shoes!

Sunday – Pure Barre

Part of me feels like trying the Brooks out again for a few miles outside this morning. I really don’ think they will work for me but I need to give them a chance!

New running shoes & workout recap #running #runningshoes #Brooks #runhappy #workoutrecap… Click To Tweet
*****************
Which socks do you like the best for running?
Are you running today?
Does PMS affect your workouts?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 31, 2016, 6:05 am

So many people love the glycerins that I will be interested to see what you think. Sock like feel is great, but it really can cramp your “style.” I personally love the way Brooks shoes are made–they fit my triangular feet–as well as Nike. The Mizunos don’t really seem to fit my feet thus far.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Friday Favorites: From Client Feedback to T-Rex VideosMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 31, 2016, 6:15 am

Hope the new shoes wind up working out for you – such a bummer when we put the time and $ in and then they don’t! I also ran 13 outside yesterday and I know what you mean about dodging the snow. It wasn’t bad but it might have slowed me down, especially in the beginning when it was still dark. I’m just glad I finally ran longer than 10 miles!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Sweet Potato Bacon Burger Bites with Maple Chipotle {Paleo}My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 31, 2016, 6:41 am

That’s nice that you have a “path” to run on! Does it actually go for 13+ miles?? I have a few pairs of thorlos socks and I like them when its really cold out otherwise they are too thick for me. Recently I have been loving Features but I have only tried 2 pairs over the past month or so. Hope the shoes work out for you!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…5 Reasons Why Treadmill Running Is Good For Me Right NowMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 31, 2016, 6:45 am

Love my path! It circles the inside of my community so no way is it even close to 13 miles. I just run lots of loops but don’t mind at all, it’s so easy and comfortable. I really like these new thorlos – they aren’t think like the traditional thorlos socks. I have to check what they are called exactly.

• Ellie January 31, 2016, 9:02 am

I am a fan of Balega socks and PhD smart wool socks. The Merino blend is great for temperature regulation, wicks away moisture and keeps my feet blister free. Can you tell I work at a running store?
    Today is my off day so I’ll do some cross training and then go to work. That is a workout in itself haha
    Have a great week!
    Ellie recently posted…Click Bate [01/31/2016]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 1, 2016, 1:08 pm

I do have a pair of the balega but I think I like these new thorlo ones the best. time will tell!

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl January 31, 2016, 9:38 am

Switching shoes and adjusting can be really tough, it took me awhile to settle into my current rotation (one kind for short weekday runs, one kind for long runs) – many months and like 5 different styles and brands!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…January HighlightsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 1, 2016, 1:08 pm

It is so tough! I am good on the recovery run shoes, it’s my main shoe that I must LOVE.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes January 31, 2016, 9:48 am

Switching running shoes is always a weird transition! My feet get so used to the older shoes. When I first tried my Pure Connects they felt weird until I put about 25 miles in them. Hopefully yours begin to feel better after a few more runs!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Crockpot Black Bean Acorn Squash Chili {Vegetarian, GF}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 1, 2016, 1:07 pm

Ugh, new models are the worst! It’s so hard to adjust to a new shoe, especially when you aren’t so sure they are the right shoe for you. I went back to return the Brooks and bought the Boosts in next size so I am hoping for a good run tomorrow.

• Hollie January 31, 2016, 12:09 pm

The energy boosts have such a narrow toe box but oddly enough so do the Glycerins. If you were looking for a shoe with more room in the toebox, I do find it interesting they put you in the Glycerins. The energy boost is being updated next month so maybe that will be a better fit for you!
    Hollie recently posted…Carmel Valley 5k (18:40)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 1, 2016, 1:06 pm

Thanks for your help! Finding the shoe can be tricky especially when you have worn one model for so long! I went back to the Boosts just now, I will let you know when I try them how they work.

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com January 31, 2016, 1:36 pm

I love Feetures running socks, they are my favorite by far! I did my 3 mile recovery run today and was finally able to get outside! I’m a big fan of the Saucony Ride 7’s, and I think I’ll be in the market for a new pair of running shoes soon–I’d like to check out the Brooks Launch. I actually tried the Boosts when they first came out and wasn’t a fan, but I’m open to trying them again!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Half Marathon Training Recap, Week 4My Profile

• Fiona January 31, 2016, 2:02 pm

Nice to be able to get outside for a run, particularly the long run, even if it meant you had to go a little slower. Good luck with your new shoes, hope they work out for you. I’m always very apprehensive about new shoes so I can relate! 1000 mile ankle socks are my favourite go-to socks 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…That Friday FeelingMy Profile