blizzard weekend favorites

This greek salad from the Premier Diner Friday night before the blizzard hit. And dipping those French fries you see (the crispest ones of course) into the dressing? Perfection.

greek salad

Saturday’s treadmill run was tough but coming home to my favorite post run oatmeal in a jar made it worth it.

post run oatmeal in a jar

I loved being snowed in after my run Saturday. I drank my coffee from my favorite Starbucks cup and wore my Butter sweatpants with my comfy tie-dyed sweatshirt all day long – without a bra on < – you needed to know that.

Starbucks coffee cup

I did bake and cook as planned and one of my favorites from the weekend was the granola cookie wedge recipe that I mentioned in Friday’s post.

granola cookie wedge pie

It did not hold together like I thought it would but it tasted great! I liked it crumbly and I even liked the peanut m&m’s.

All we had were peanut m&ms in the house so I used them to make my son happy. I never liked peanut m&m’s, in fact, I do not like any type of nut in my chocolate. However, once this granola cookie was baked up, I actually found some appreciation for the peanut m&m’s although they will never be my first choice and certainly don’t make my top 5 favorite m&m’s list.

1. plain m&m’s
  2. crispy m&m’s
  3. peanut butter m&m’s
  4. pretzel m&m’s
  5. dark chocolate m&m’s

In honor of National Peanut Butter Day yesterday (and because after shoveling I was still not leaving the house) I made these chocolate peanut butter protein bites using Mighty Maple Peanut Butter. So good!

chocolate peanut butter protein bites

Least Favorite Weekend Moment:

Seeing my car Sunday morning.

snow covered car

The highlight of my blizzard experience:

Realizing that my son is no longer the little boy who wakes up early creating the need for 304 entertaining activities before 10:00 am.

As much as I don’t like to see my baby growing up, young children combined with a blizzard take away the fun of a lazy snow day and give new meaning to cabin fever.

Not anymore though! The benefit of having a 12-year-old is that he didn’t come out of his room on Saturday until NOON and close to NOON on Sunday as well.

He was half way enjoyable too…until he tried to get me to put a hat on my head (just try my hat on mom!) that was filled with snow.

Since I know him and his personality for 12 years, I know better than to put any hat he hands me on my head.

Time for a treadmill run, have a great day! 🙂

blizzard weekend favorites #snow #blizzard #weekend #running #peanutbutter #mmschocolate… Click To Tweet

******************

3 things you did this weekend?

Favorite m&m’s?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 25, 2016, 5:45 am

As crazy as having 3 kids is they do wind up entertaining each other on weekends like this! Sometimes I forget how awesome that is until I remember what snow days were like 4 years ago. I am also not a nuts-in-chocolate fan!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Workout Recap, Snowed in Weekend, and a SurpriseMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:05 pm

hate the nuts in chocolate! And ugh, when the kids were younger these snows days were so much worse trying to keep them entertained and busy.

• Marina @ Snackie Bird January 25, 2016, 6:06 am

Cozy days are the best! And this m&m`s crumble look great 😉
    Marina @ Snackie Bird recently posted…Сила в привычкеMy Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 25, 2016, 6:58 am

So right with you on the M&Ms ranking, but I would probably have to switch 1 and 2. Also, I would have to add the Mini’s to the list. I loooves them. Salads and french fries are the boss. And so Parisian, right? lol
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Inching Ever Closer: Progress and RestMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:04 pm

I have been craving Friday nights dinner ever since, definitely heading back for the salad and fries this week!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes January 25, 2016, 8:29 am

Peanut butter M&Ms are the best! I adore cozy Saturdays spent drinking coffee, especially out of cute mugs.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Training Week 6My Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com January 25, 2016, 8:51 am

DC was slammed with snow too! We were able to get out and find some restaurants/bars that were open to walk to, so that was nice to get out for a bit. It looks like all of my runs this week will be indoors again, yuck. Favorite M&M is definitely almond, followed by peanut!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Weekend Wrap-Up+SnowzillaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:03 pm

I can’t relate to those m&m’s! Not my favorites… I am hoping to run outdoors again by the weekend.

• Arthi January 25, 2016, 9:03 am

Omg your car! That’s nuts!

Workout agenda today = Absolutely nothing. My hip has been bothering be since yesterday’s run and I think I need to give it a day to chill out!

Favorite M&Ms = Toss up between the crispy and the pb! And love to use the minis in baking!
    Arthi recently posted…The Final Weekend.My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 25, 2016, 9:05 am

I would think that one of the benefits of having a 12 year old is someone to help with shoveling! I was really glad to have a garage although shoveling the driveway took longer than it ever used to take to dig out my car. Plain M&Ms are also my favorite probably followed by peanut butter!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…The Blizzard and Weekly Workout RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:02 pm

Please. he is no help, if anything, he makes it worse because he throws the snow at me lol. I do not miss my big driveway! (I think I wrote that on your post this morning lol, we used to only do one end and skip the circle, it was too much)

• Ellie January 25, 2016, 9:14 am

Oh my God your car! That is the worst. I would have no motivation to do anything if we got that much snow. My favorite M&Ms are the candy corn white chocolate ones that only happen at Halloween. They are addicting and I buy about ten bags. I just finished my last bag this past week so no more till next year. My workout today was a speed run for 30 minutes and it left me really sweaty. Nothing feels better to kick off the week.
    Have a great Monday!
    Ellie recently posted…Week In Review [01/18-01/24]My Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl January 25, 2016, 9:46 am

Having the city basically shut down Saturday turned out to be really fun. With the streets closed and the snow coming down, we trekked to brunch in basically the closest you’ll ever get to solitude on the Upper East Side, and when we went to play in the park it was awesome. I skipped my Saturday run and enjoyed a true rest day, with just walking to brunch and playing in Central Park and lounging around watching movies and drinking cocoa the rest of the day. Sunday the sun was out and the city was sledding 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and a Weekend BlizzardMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:00 pm

I loved being snowed in in the city in the past – because you really aren’t snowed in! So fun.

• Shannon January 25, 2016, 11:16 am

Geez! Did your car survive? I am not really a fan of m&m’s, but if I have to pick one definitely peanut butter!
    Shannon recently posted…S’mores BarsMy Profile

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat January 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

I have to say that I am very happy to have a super and his crew to do the digging out. My port wash branch is STILL suspended. I went to the gym early today to get in my miles thinking I would be fine but nope, trains still not running. Not amused I miss human interaction!
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…TOL: Random TangentsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 4:59 pm

I saw it was finally running! Ugh, so frustrating already. So many schools were closed too, I was surprised we were only delayed.

• Miss Polkadot January 25, 2016, 5:03 pm

Insanity. Living over here I’ve only ever heard of but never experienced any blizzards.
    Living over here I also can’t chime in on the m&m’s rating as we can get neither the peanut butter nor pretzel kind, not sure about the dark chocolate one. I have a feeling both of those not available would be up my alley.
    On a word fiend note I like the hat-hand-head alliterations in the closing lines of your post ;).
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Healthy 5-Ingredient Snickers Truffles [vegan, paleo, refined sugar-free]My Profile

• Suzy January 25, 2016, 11:24 pm

I love teenage boys! Okay, that sounded weird. But I just do. I loved my boys at all ages, but for the most part I really had to feign interest in all of their long-winded descriptions of the latest video game match or some stupid scene from the stupidest movie ever. But once they hit the teen years and developed wit and humour, we could actually relate to each other. We like the same things, we laugh at the same jokes, we eat the same food, we sleep the same schedule (well, we DID until I went and blew it all by having another baby lol, and now my sleep is eternally screwed because I have to wait up late for the older boys and get up at dark o’ thirty with Callum in the morning). But anyway, I think it’s so cool that you two have each other. Oh, and peanut butter M&Ms for this old girl. 😉
    Suzy recently posted…Week In Review: Potty MouthMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 5:09 am

Ugh, the waiting for them to get home and then getting up with a baby! Yikes, but so worth it when you think about it 🙂

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 26, 2016, 6:00 am

There’s something about a Greek salad which makes my taste buds happy.

The picture of your car on the other hand…not so much. Shudder.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review #15My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 8:41 am

When I was pregnant, I craved greek salads like no other! When I got home from the hospital after having my son, the first meal I had was a giant greek salad!

• Fiona January 26, 2016, 1:02 pm

Your car!!! Wow, just a bit of snow then? 🙂 I did likewise after my run on Sunday & hid inside with copious amounts of coffee, tv and a good book. It was all kinds of blissful 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…Eating the Burn Part 1: Eating MOREMy Profile

• masala girl January 27, 2016, 10:31 pm

THATS A LOT OF SNOW. could you even open up your door?! I would be baking up a storm 😀 or, definitely curled up infront of the fireplace with a warm drink!
    masala girl recently posted…WIAW – whole30 & dorm cookingMy Profile