workout recap & race canceled

Last week at this time, as I published my last half marathon training workout recap, I assumed that right now I would be sitting here saying I was off to the Fred Lebow Half Marathon! Wish me luck! Here’s a look at my taper workout recap!

Yeah, no. A taper didn’t happen so let’s look at the snow instead, although with 80 million people in the path of the same storm, more than likely, my window looks like your window.

snow

Since they were predicting the blizzard very early this week, I had basically decided days ago that I was not running a half marathon today, canceled or not.

They did eventually cancel the race by Friday afternoon and now we have a choice of running a few other NYRR races that are upcoming on the schedule to make up for this half marathon.

Of course I registered to run a half marathon today because I wanted to run another half marathon however I can’t really say that I am overly bummed about it being canceled. Things happen and I can always run 13.1 miles, either outside my front door or on the treadmill.

Between me and you, a part of me is relieved that I escaped running Central Park for now! I hate the hills 🙂

workout recap

Monday – 5 Miles

I started with pre-run yoga before heading to the gym for an easy 5 miles on the treadmill. I originally thought I would get to run outdoors since I got started a bit later in the morning but when the ground is covered with a thin layer of snow/ice, it wasn’t happening for safety reasons.

running path

Pure Barre Tone in 10: Full Body

Tuesday – 8 Miles (on treadmill)

Miles 1 – 4: 6.3 – 6.8

Miles 5 – 8: 6.8 – 8.0

Pure Barre Tone in 10: Arms & Abs

Wednesday – Cross-Training Day

I didn’t plan on running today which was good because I woke up definitely not in the mood for a run! Nothing specific bothered me but the thought of the treadmill was not appealing.

The best part about honoring a cross training day is that when I finish the workout, I get excited for the next day’s run!

Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo:

• Thighs & Seat
  • Seat & Abs
  • Back & Cool Down

In the gym:

• 15 Minutes Elliptical
  • Upper Body Free Weights & Jumping Jacks in between sets
  • 15 Minutes Elliptical

Thursday – 6.50 Miles & 10 Minutes Elliptical

I thought I was going to run 8 miles but as I approached mile 6, I decided I was basically done. I didn’t feel like continuing so I didn’t.

I think it’s better to stop when you really feel like you want to stop than force yourself do something you don’t want to do.

I cooled down for half a mile and then finished my cool down on the elliptical machine.

Friday – Pure Barre Mile High DVD & 4 Miles (outside!!)

I ran a little later than normal just so I could get a few miles in outdoors.

You know you made the right decision yesterday in cutting your run short when your go as you feel run turns into comfortable splits like this:

splits

And did I mention I ran this without headphones? Yeah, I don’t know who I am or which runner took over my body.

Saturday – 13.1 Miles on the Treadmill

I happily trudged through snow to the gym in my community for the treadmill, grateful to have the option. I don’t really know exactly what went on during the miles but I got 7 miles accomplished right at the 60 minute mark and then restarted the treadmill to finish the remaining 6.1 miles.

I ranged between 6.3 – 7.6. I tried to spend as much time as I could holding steady at 7.5 because I like making that pace feel comfortable, so the more I run it, the better it feels.

I will say though that the last few miles were mentally (and physically) challenging.  I was definitely tired and feeling it but I pushed through to finish.

Post-Run Yoga later in the day.

Sunday – Pure Barre Pure Results & Shoveling!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend 🙂

workouts from the week #running #halfmarathon #FLHM #fitfluential #purebarre @pure_barre #yoga… Click To Tweet

*****************

If you were in the path of the blizzard, how much snow is outside your window?

Have you ever had a race canceled due to weather?

Favorite type of indoor workout?

• Ellie January 24, 2016, 8:00 am

No snow here in Upstate NY (well there is snow on the ground but no new snow) thank God! It’s tough to walk around the city when there’s so much snow. It’s great that the race got cancelled so you could get some sort of compensation.
    Last year I did a 15k in a blizzard that should have gotten cancelled. The shuttles decided not to show up so my sister and I had to run to the finish line to get our bibs, then run to the start line to start the race…oh and we ended up missing it because everything was so spread out and crossed the start line two minutes late. Oops! Oh well, it was really memorable.
    I hope you have a nice warm Sunday inside
    Ellie recently posted…Click Bait [01/24/2015]My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes January 24, 2016, 9:16 am

I’ve never had a race cancelled due to weather, but I avoided signing up for any races in December through March when we lived in Indiana because of snow.
    You did an awesome job on that run without headphones! I really do believe harder paces feel more comfortable without anything playing.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Does drinking red wine provide any health benefits? {Just a Pinch}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 8:45 am

I still can’t believe how well I ran with no headphones! I am really trying to make it something I do more often.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 24, 2016, 11:01 am

My workout today was yoga and shoveling! It’s done now though and I can be warm inside! Stomach is also feeling better and I’m totally over the race being cancelled. Moving on!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chewy Caramel Brownie Sandwich Cookies {Paleo}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Totally over the race too! I don’t think will register for it next year unless it’s a last minute decision and it’s not sold out.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl January 24, 2016, 12:11 pm

The park was lovely this morning, but even 5 miles was enough for me, so I’m sort of glad they cancelled it. Which replacement race are you thinking of? I’m thinking Scotland 10K.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 8:45 am

I have a feeling I wont come in for any of the races unfortunately. Maybe the 10k but there was another 10k right by my house that I wanted to run the same day and time.

• Fiona January 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

Look at the snow!! Yeesh, sounds (and most definitely looks) like the race was literally a non-runner, even if they called it pretty late. Fair play to you for putting in a solid effort anyways and not using the weather as an excuse to chill out. You got some good runs in there for sure 🙂

• Caroline M January 24, 2016, 7:21 pm

I live in central/southern Virginia and even though we manage to have snow and ice every year, plowing just never seems to happen. So my long run was on the treadmill, and I was really pleased with how it went! For me, 8 miles was the longest I’ve ever done on the treadmill, and I still felt mentally strong by the end! Thanks for all your treadmill running positivity, I think it’s rubbing off on me 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016, 8:44 am

Awww I am so glad! We must be positive about it otherwise we will not be able to run well and long on that treadmill!

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat January 24, 2016, 7:36 pm

I was so angry yesterday morning. My gym posted they were open at 6:30. I trudge there at 7am to find them closing. I was determined to run so called my gym in the city – they were open and I took the train to the city to hit the treadmill.
    In retrospect, I realize, I am a touch crazy.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…TOL: Random TangentsMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns January 25, 2016, 8:01 am

Wow..half marathon on a treadmill! That’s some dedication there! Sorry that the weather ruined your race plans, but I’m glad that you stayed safe. We got hit with snow too, but not quite as much as you.
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Gettysburg Marathon Training : Week 3My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:04 pm

Seriously, if I stop to think about the amount of miles I am running on there sometimes, I would never finish! Just gotta mentally group them as you go so it doesn’t sound like 13

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 25, 2016, 9:39 am

Wow, nice job running a half-marathon on the treadmill! I think the longest I have ever run on a treadmill was 12 miles and that was back in like 2008 when I was running on a treadmill almost every day. I don’t think I have ever had a cancelled race due to weather but I rarely sign up for races in the winter!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…The Blizzard and Weekly Workout RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 25, 2016, 5:01 pm

You can be sure I will not be signing up for this race again next year! Waste of money.