Weekend Stuff & Groceries

It rained like crazy yesterday morning which in my opinion, isn’t a bad thing on a Sunday (so long as it isn’t your wedding day or race day that is!). I didn’t rush to get up, I wasn’t planning to run and the dark of the rainy daylight made it perfect for getting back into bed after Pure Barre and breakfast.

coffee in bed

I have been spending a lot of extra time relaxing back in my bed which is not my typical nature but I am embracing every second of it.

It’s easier now that my son is older actually. When the kids are little, you stand no chance of sleeping in or waking up at your leisure or heck, even just sitting down. Now though, my son sleeps so late (like I don’t even know him as my own because I never slept late in my life) and even when he wakes up, he hangs in his room so I can really do as I wish. I never could have imagined this back when he was a baby, toddler or even in elementary school. In fact, I find myself watching Max & Ruby and iCarly by myself while he is still asleep 🙂

What did I even do this weekend?! I swear it’s all a blur. I guess in between my awesome long run, catching up on work and shuffling my son to and from two separate Bar Mitzvah parties, I found time to go to the mall. I will talk more about some of my favorite beauty products tomorrow but today I will say that I spent some time with my friend Jill aka my Dior Makeup Artist (at Bloomingdales) who let me take a sneak peak in the drawer at the spring collection of colors which are slowly starting to arrive in stores.

Dior makeup

And I finally went food shopping too. After going seven days without restocking, I actually didn’t even need that much to fill our kitchen.

groceries

Aside from a few random items that I picked up from Target, here’s what else I needed…

From Whole Foods:

• 2 Packages of Chicken Cutlets (for my son’s new favorite chicken)
  • Applegate turkey, sliced at deli counter (for his lunch)
  • White Sweet Potatoes

I couldn’t wait to roast up some white sweet potato wedges almost immediately after unpacking the groceries.

roasted white sweet potato wedges

From Trader Joe’s:

The Rest:

• Organic eggs
  • 2 Jars Crunchy Chia & Flax Peanut Butter
  • Carolina Gold Barbeque Sauce
  • Sweet Chili Sauce
  • Coffee K-Cups

Aside from maybe popping into a store for fresh fruit this week, my plan is to make what’s currently in our kitchen work for seven days again. Let’s see if I can do it!

weekend stuff & groceries #traderjoes #wholefoods #foodshop #weekend #dior #makeup… Click To Tweet

*****************

If you have kids, do they wake you up early or do they sleep late?

Best thing you ate over the weekend?

Which grocery store are you favoring lately?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 11, 2016, 5:29 am

We try to only shop at Trader Joes but there are certain things we don’t get there so we also sometimes go to a Shoppers or Target (for like ziplock bags and stuff like that). I am trying to use up all our food before we go to Florida next weekend, so hopefully no extra trips to the grocery store this week. If we forgot something we will just have to deal with it!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:54 pm

I am not even going away but I am hoping to just deal with whatever we have too! There’s no reason I can’t. I know we can make do until Friday.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 11, 2016, 5:32 am

Love the look of those sweet potatoes! And the rain really was just nuts yesterday and we were getting these creepy sun- downpours even late in the day.

Funny you mention watching kids shows because I totally made fun of Adam for watching the season finale of Austin and ally on Disney after the kids were asleep. Can’t get over that lol 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Workouts, Boston Marathon Plan, and ReliefMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:53 pm

Sometimes I don’t even realize what I am watching lol. I used to love Max & Ruby and Calliou too. That’s so funny he watched the season finale but I understand!

• Marina @ Snackie Bird January 11, 2016, 5:51 am

I can say that a best food of my weekends were dates! Little sweet love 😀 Your grocery shopping look amazing, I definitely should do it today
    Marina @ Snackie Bird recently posted…Домашняя гранола без выпечкиMy Profile

• Ruthie January 11, 2016, 8:03 am

I miss Trader Joes! I am getting my fix through this post! There’s one at home in NH, but not where I am in VT! When I go back home I stock up…but it’s been a while!
    Ruthie recently posted…Life Lately via the Camera Roll!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:52 pm

I would miss it too so many good things! Definitely stock up next time when you can.

• Gretchen | GretchRuns January 11, 2016, 8:16 am

Trader Joe’s will forever be my favorite store! I went this weekend, stupidly right before the Steelers game, so it was packed. But it was still a great time..I just love grocery shopping 🙂 I decided to finish up the next morning as soon as it opened, and I guess everyone was hungover from the game so it was empty. The best!!
    Gretchen | GretchRuns recently posted…Gettysburg Marathon Training: Week 1My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:51 pm

The best time to go to TJ is early morning. I don’t do it often but I am always happy when I do!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl January 11, 2016, 9:06 am

I wish trader joes was more convenient for me, with NYC prices I rely on my parents being nice and bringing Costco fish/fruit/veggies and pantry staples. And then buying overpriced fruit and other things when necessary at Morton Williams and the nearby health food store! Best thing I ate this week was my GF Mickey waffles 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…2016 Walt Disney World 10K Race RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:49 pm

loved seeing those waffles! Gosh I love Disney and all of the food there 🙂 I still rely on my parents too for some staples, maybe it’s a NY thing 🙂

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com January 11, 2016, 9:09 am

LOVE Trader Joe’s! I went on Saturday after my run–I love their hummus, fresh produce, and I picked up some avocado salsa which has been delicious over eggs. Best thing I’ve been eating has been my new breakfast of over easy eggs, spinach, avocado, and plantains.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Weekend Wrap-UpMy Profile

• Ellie January 11, 2016, 9:24 am

I had a race yesterday but it was fifty degrees so I’d rather have rain than freezing and snow. This morning it was snowing and I slipped on a patch of ice…might change my running plans this week. I do not have kids but I remember getting up pretty early when I was young and going to annoy my parents. Luckily my dad wakes up at 5am so I always had company. I think I got up because our upstairs wasn’t heated very well so I wanted to be warmer. I scored good deals on bulk broccoli and cauliflower at Maine Source yesterday. Should last me the week hahaa
    Ellie recently posted…Weekend In Review [First Race Since October!]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:48 pm

I need cauliflower! I haven’t been able to get it in so long it seems! The stores have been out of it.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 11, 2016, 10:28 am

I used to sleep late all.the.time when I was younger… but I think a lot of that had to do wit the fact that I wouldn’t go to sleep until 2 or 3 😛 Now, though? There are days where I wake up that early 😆 I love the early mornings, though. I slept in ’till 8 over the holidays and I literally didn’t know what to do with myself when I woke up — my schedule was so thrown off.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…link love 1/10My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:46 pm

My schedule gets thrown off too if I sleep “late” like that! I like getting up early though so I can enjoy the quiet.

• Sarah @pickyrunner January 11, 2016, 10:29 am

I went to Trader Joe’s THREE times in the past week. The first time, they had no chicken. The second time, they only had one package which isn’t enough to get me through the week, and the third time I got what I needed but had to wait in line for 30 minutes. So worth it. TJ’s is just the best grocery store in the world. So clearly you know what I did this weekend…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Not-Training 1/3-1/9My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

That happens to me so often which is why so many week I have to go there multiple times. I am hoping not to be there again until Friday though!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes January 11, 2016, 12:17 pm

Roasted white sweet potato wedges are my food love right now. I eat them almost everyday for lunch right now because they are so good.
    Ryan and I have been bad at grocery budgeting lately because we enjoy shopping at a the nice local organic market near our apartment. We need to try TJ’s, but we have to cross two highways to get to the nearest one, and on the Eastside of Seattle that means being stuck in traffic for way too long. I wish there was one closer!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Training Week 4My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

I need to get more of the white sweet potatoes for next week. I didn’t buy enough!

• Tracy January 11, 2016, 12:57 pm

We lived on South Beach during law school and my favorite thing EVER after a night out was to wake up, eat breakfast and go back to bed. Wow – another lifetime ago!! We are just now at the stage with our boys that they let us “sleep in” – which means I don’t hear MOMMY until 7 am ( ;
    I have a serious grocery shopping problem – Costco, Publix and Trader Joe’s – weekly. My husband is not too thrilled about it but I do cook every night…during the week!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 11, 2016, 4:44 pm

7 am was golden back in the day! I used to dream of him sleeping until 7 lol

• Arthi January 11, 2016, 8:30 pm

I have never seen white sweet potatoes before … Do they taste just as good as regular sweet potatoes?!

I’ve been loving having a Mariano’s nearby my condo. It’s the perfect balance between a Whole Foods and regular grocery store. You can get a ton of healthy options/a good hot bar … But they also carry Skippy peanut butter and other standard brands! Best of everything!
    Arthi recently posted…Monday Night Confessions – Part 42.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 13, 2016, 1:29 pm

So good! They are just like the Japanese sweet potatoes – sweet but starchier than regular sweet potatoes.

• lucky13 January 11, 2016, 10:20 pm

i only have time to shop on the weekends, so once a week, but I stop at multiple stores and because I’m limited to one trip per week I don’t feel like we’re getting enough fresh fruits and veggies into our diets. I have weird kids – I used to get to get more sleep when my son was tiny than I do now with a 4 and 5 year old. My son would sleep for 14 hours in his first year, scared me to death when I’d get a good 9 or 10 hours in and realize I hadn’t heard a peep from him. Then came his sister and now they both are awake by 7:30, which I suppose isn’t bad. I cannot imagine a time when they’ll be able to (or even prefer to) entertain themselves rather than jumping into bed with us at 5am, but it sounds like that’s coming.
    lucky13 recently posted…Plantar Fasciitis watch day 5My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 13, 2016, 1:29 pm

I never ever thought my son would entertain himself or sleep in his room the whole night or not be looking for me to talk to him at 6 am. It’s crazy how things change!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 17, 2016, 8:37 am

You know I love the grocery store haul posts. 🙂 I’m nosy and like seeing what everyone else is buying.

I’m a morning person, but I really need 8 to 9 hours to function really well so I usually wake up once that happens. Meaning some days I can get up at 6 a.m. and some days I get up at 9 a.m., if I had a late night. That being said, once I’m up, I accomplish all the things. After 6 p.m. though, my energy is gone and I’m not doing much of anything.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Broccoli Mac and Cheese RecipeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 18, 2016, 4:04 pm