I Didn’t Go Food Shopping All Week & Weekly Dinner Plan

I must inform you that I have gone a full week, as in 7 days, without walking into a grocery store. Somehow we have survived.

I am hoping to hit up the grocery stores today and if I am lucky, I will get my food shopping just right again in order to avoid those midweek shops next week. It was a beautiful thing, especially since I didn’t have one free second to frolic about in Trader Joe’s purchasing things I needed but probably didn’t need immediately.

So dinner, as you may know from my previous posts, is not always smooth sailing around my house. My son is at that age where he wants nothing to do with what I cook, nothing to do with any ingredients that may be considered healthy and absolutely nothing to do with any product from Trader Joe’s. Why? Just because. The kid likes to torture me where it hurts.

I do my best as a parent to balance our dinner plan with home cooked healthy meals along with nights at the pizza place and other restaurants too.

Last night for example, after a 6 month check up at the orthodontist (let’s not talk about his appointment okay? He needs a new retainer because he didn’t wear it enough at which point I broke into my counter attack of – I cannot force the apparatus into his mouth! It’s not my fault! I do the best I can!), we stopped at The Cheesecake Factory since it was dinner time, we were starving and hey, it was on our way home.

cheesecake factory salad

Cooking chicken for my son has been the major issue as of late. Since I no longer eat meat and poultry (I haven’t in four years now), it is very hard to argue with the boy when he tells me the chicken I make is disgusting. Do I really think it’s possible that my chicken, including my chicken parmesan is, as he says, disgusting? No. But again, I cannot taste it and he reminds me of this every time I tell him he is crazy.

I struggled with finding the right chicken recipe for his picky palate but I finally found and made a baked chicken recipe he LOVES this week! While I do not have pictures of his plates, he did enjoy this type of chicken a few nights in a row and has already requested it again for next week.

I want you to try this baked chicken recipe too and tell me how you feel about it!

Below are the rest of the dinners I have planned for the week in addition to making that chicken recipe again on Sunday to last for a few days for him. Please note that I pull these recipes from the recipe blogs  that I read and then pin them to my meal planning board in order to select what we will eat in the week ahead.

weekly meal planning menu

Sunday: Spicy Black Bean & Lentil Chili (with sweet potato fries!)

Monday: Leftover Chili

Tuesday: It’s either Pizza Night as usual or this Shortcut Vegetable Ragu (because maybe my son would eat it?!)

Wednesday: Easy Baked falafel < – Looks easy, we both will eat it and I can serve it with hummus, roasted veggies and brown rice.

Thursday: From the Freezer Night < – which means veggie burgers or my simple stir fry recipe which I hope to share with you in the next week or so.

Friday: Blackened Broccoli Pasta With Charred Lemon and Goat Cheese <- I do not eat pasta often at all but there is something about this recipe that has been calling my name.

Saturday: Out For Dinner

Some extra recipes of interest:

70 Vegan Holiday Recipes – I like this collection for any time, not just for holidays! Lots of good and different vegan meal ideas which I could use to shake up my usual meals.

11 Meatless Veggie Loaves

Broccoli and Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Muffins

Cookie Dough Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches

Peanut Butter & Banana Protein Bites < – forgot about this easy snack recipe!

I didn't go food shopping this week & next week's dinner plan #mealplanning #mealprep… Click To Tweet

******************

Are you able to do your food shopping just once a week?

3 things you are doing this weekend?

What’s on your running agenda for this weekend?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 8, 2016, 5:24 am

I managed to go food shopping just once this week too! Just about every week I forget something.
    Did they give your son the option to have a permanent retainer? Thats what I have (I still have it in) and I think it was the best decision my parents made because I don’t think I would have worn a removable one. The permanent one is under lifetime insurance and it actually broke a little when I was like 25 so I went back and they fixed it for me:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Meal Planning and Prep {Week of 1/2-1/8}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 5:34 am

I had the permanent one too! How funny I didn’t think to ask yesterday, I was too busy defending myself lol. I should inquire. it was wonderful, I had mine in for almost 20 yeats until we removed it (I think it broke)

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 8, 2016, 5:36 am

You’re a rockstar in my book! I went twice this week and have never been able to get it down to once. Granted having 3 kids means there’s a lot of consumption! Plus those grapes and strawberries just won’t last!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chocolate Banana Sunflower Butter Truffles {Paleo, Vegan, Nut Free}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 5:39 am

I wanted new berries and I really wanted watermelon but I had no time to get there and you know what? it was ok, I somehow made due. I would like to make due more often! But yes, 2 extra kids to my one would probably force me somehow to a store

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 8, 2016, 7:33 am

We often have to go to multiple grocery stores to get the best prices on things, but we do one general stock up and then a supplemental trip or two. Right now, though, the number of grocery trips is relegated by how much I can fit in my backpack 😀
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Easy Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Italian Herbs (Gluten Free)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:52 pm

I try to go around for best prices too! Gotta track my circulars. I don’t do it as often as I did since now I buy so much at tj and they don’t run sales or use coupons but I think I am getting a decent deal anyway.

• Gretchen | GretchRuns January 8, 2016, 7:57 am

I usually go grocery shopping once a week, or if I plan really well twice a month. You would probably go crazy if you did that! The ones around my apartment are crazy since we live in a college town, so it’s just too stressful. I like to go to the store about a half hour away because the process is so much more fun!
    Gretchen | GretchRuns recently posted…Top Five Friday #38My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:51 pm

I absolutely would go crazy if I had to limit to twice a month but I like the idea! If I didn’t need fresh fruit, maybe I could swing it.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2016, 8:36 am

Sometimes I get super lazy and avoid the grocery store as well. That’s when my meals either get super creative or super boring (as in: cereal for dinner 😆 ) I used to really love shopping for food, but I feel like I’ve been less and less interested in it lately… which probably isn’t a bad thing since it used to be a little out of hand.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…soft and chewy banana bread granola barsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:50 pm

The less often I go, the less money I spend so I am with you and avoiding it as much as possible. I see we could get buy with me only going once so I am aiming for it again this week.

• Arthi January 8, 2016, 9:36 am

I’m almost 27 and I still wear my retainer every night … Is that weird? Are we ever allowed to stop wearing them?!

On the running agenda this weekend: I think I’m gonna run a half marathon in the morning! One of my 2016 goals was to run a race every month (could be anything from a 5k to a marathon). The Polar Dash is in Chicago tomorrow and the weather is surprisingly tolerable!
    Arthi recently posted…Checking-In.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

Ohhh exciting! Good luck with the race if you decide to do it! Might as well if the weather is decent this time of year!

• Ellie January 8, 2016, 9:44 am

You need some tough love. My mom would just tell me I wasn’t eating if I didn’t eat what she made. Just kidding, that’s easier said than done lol. Running this weekend includes a 5k, my first one!
    Ellie recently posted…A Post of WillsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 9:55 am

HA – I totally did that the other night! Sometimes tough love is necessary especially when I know I made a good dinner! Good luck at the race!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes January 8, 2016, 10:13 am

I go grocery shopping at least twice a week, usually because I forget something the first time. Ryan and I have a new ritual of going to the nice organic market together once a week to pick out meat. I think part of it is that I love going to the grocery store!
    I have my long run today, and I’m going to try to get Ryan to run with me on Sunday after church. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Meredith!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Salmon and Mushroom Stuffed Baked PotatoesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

I always forget something or at the very least, the store is out of something I need so I have to go back! I am trying to keep it to once a week and maybe, a midweek run for fresh fruit.Good luck with the long run today!

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com January 8, 2016, 10:26 am

I typically only go food shopping once a week, typically on Saturday or Sunday morning before it gets chaotic. It’s too much to go after work during the week–once I’m home, I just want to be home. This is the first week of my half marathon training, and I have a 6 miler on the agenda for Saturday. Then stocking up at Trader Joe’s!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…Friday FavesMy Profile

• Shannon January 8, 2016, 11:10 am

I have been working on only going to the store once a week. I used to be really bad about it, and my grocery bill for the week was insane!
    Shannon recently posted…Vegetarian Slow Cooker Tamale PieMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2016, 12:47 pm

I really do believe we save money if we can get it down to one shop a week! Not easy for me to do but I am trying.

• Sarah @pickyrunner January 8, 2016, 11:22 am

I didn’t go grocery shopping this week either because I was just never home to eat so I made do with the few things I had in my pantry. Well, I did make the drive to TJs only to find out that they didn’t have my chicken. I was pretty annoyed by that one because I was looking forward to my salad but it will be extra good next week I guess!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: Winter has arrivedMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 8, 2016, 5:53 pm

So I’ll be over Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. That work ok for you?

I’ve been trying to keep my grocery shopping to a minimum so I can start to use up some of my pantry items. It’s not working so far. Oops.

• Janelle @ Run With No Regrets January 10, 2016, 6:32 pm

Yum, all of your meals look so good and I gotta see that black bean and lentil chili! That’s gotta be tough dealing with a stubborn eater, but that’s great that he likes the baked chicken! I’m sure you never made anything disgusting!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Weekly Meal Plan for 1/10/16My Profile