Workout Recap 12.28 – 1.3

Overall I would say that I had a great week of workouts both home and away. I actually loved the hotel gym in Boston but stuck to my vacation workout plan of scaling things back by really holding close to a maximum of 30 minutes a day.

An interesting thing happened though — I must have been loving the unplugged feeling so much from not using my laptop that I unplugged during my workouts too. No headphones at all for any of my hotel workouts even though they provided them for free in the gym each morning.

headphones

If you know me by now, you know that I always run with music. I don’t know what got into me but I really liked not running with headphones and hardly noticed that the music was missing. I may need to keep this up or at least run sometimes without my headphones. I was so surprised to run on the treadmill without music and actually like it!

The hotel gym was really nice and crowded too. There were plenty of treadmills,  elliptical machines and a nice amount of weights available as well.

This week was a nice break from my usual routine and my muscles probably appreciated the time off from Pure Barre too 🙂

And oh, the Fred Lebow Half Marathon is three weeks from today– I knew it was going to creep up quick!

fred lebow half marathon training recap week #5

Monday  – 7.5 Miles

Best run I have had in a while! I really think the drop in temperature (39 degrees when I went outside) helped. I was glad to get this run in before we left for Boston a little bit later in the day.

splits

Tuesday – 30 Minutes Elliptical (Hotel Gym)

I went with the elliptical machine for my first morning there with a view of some of the treadmills.

hotel gym

Wednesday – 4 Miles Treadmill (Hotel Gym)

I loved running on these treadmills. I do not usually enjoy treadmill runs while away but this trip was a totally different story. I felt great and the treadmills were very comfortable. I thought I would need a good amount of warm up time but I didn’t.

treadmill

Thursday – 4 Miles Treadmill (Hotel Gym)

Another great run.

Friday  – Pure Barre Mile High 2 DVD & 5 Miles

Back home and back to Pure Barre this morning! A few days off was only noticeable during the planks. I hate planks.

I thought my run outside would feel great but it didn’t feel close to great at all. I couldn’t put my figure on the issue until I got home to learn that my monthly visitor had arrived a few days ahead of schedule and then it all made sense. Bleh.

Saturday – 13.1 Miles (10 treadmill, 3.1 outside)

I thought about running entirely on the treadmill but then at the 10 mile mark I switched to outside. I had started before it was totally light outside which is why I was running indoors in the first place but I really didn’t mind.

First 4 miles no head phones!

Miles 1 – 6: between 6.3 – 7.0

Miles 7- 10: between 6.8- 8.0

Miles 10 – 13.1: average pace 8:50

Sunday – Pure Barre or Yoga

Workout Recap #running #treadmill #vacation #hotelgym #elliptical #halfmarathontraining… Click To Tweet

***************

Do you run most often with or without music?

Which headphones do you like the best? I do not like yurbuds and need something new!

What are you doing today?

• lindsay January 3, 2016, 6:54 am

I only run inside with headphones. But even then I can only do maybe 3 miles. LOL! way to go on a great week! planks are hard. 😉

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 3, 2016, 7:46 am

I usually don’t run with headphones unless i am listening to a podcast. Or if Im on a treadmill, then I need any sort of distraction I can get! I use a cheap pair of Phillips headphones that wrap around my year. I get them on amazon and they die faster than more expensive ones but I don’t really care since I don’t use them alot and they actually stay on my ears.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back at December and 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 5, 2016, 4:02 pm

For some reason I was able to run on the treadmill without music! I don’t even understand this myself. Lately I am back to music or I plug in to the tv and watch the news.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl January 3, 2016, 7:46 am

I slowly stopped running to music this summer when I was sick of listening to bar exam lectures all day and wanted some silence, and I was amazed how quickly I adapted. I still listen on long runs if it’s a weekend in NYC because it’s pretty noisy even in the park, but my early mornings all I hear are my own footsteps!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates to Kick Off 2016My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 5, 2016, 4:01 pm

I liked the silence too! I never liked it before but now I think I could use it every once in a while.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 3, 2016, 8:34 am

I mostly do podcasts when I run but for long runs will mix it up with both. I can’t believe you totally unplugged on the treadmill – I had to do the tm Tues and HAD to have music!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Triple Layer Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Cake {Paleo}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 5, 2016, 4:00 pm

I can’t believe I ran on treadmill without headphones either! It worked for me those days. Lately I am back to music but will try for at least one run a week without.

• Ellie January 3, 2016, 9:09 am

I usually listen to podcasts while I’m running. I usually like Endurance Planet or the Rich Roll podcast, but I recently reintroduced TEDtalks into my routine and they are so interesting! When I do speed workouts, I am all for Ke$ha radio! The girl power playlist makes me feel so legit
    Today I am working at one of my jobs and maybe continuing to clean our house. We’ve been making progress slowly and it’s starting to look better for 2016
    Ellie recently posted…Link Love [01/03/2015]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 5, 2016, 3:58 pm

I need to listen to the TEDtalks, thanks for reminding me. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns January 3, 2016, 10:09 am

Great job this week! You’re going to crush that race. Lately I’ve been listening to a lot more podcasts than music. Music is for tough workouts! I like Yurbuds, so I can’t really help you there…sorry!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…#RunningWhole30 Week 1 : Meal PlanMy Profile

• John January 3, 2016, 6:38 pm

Very impressive week! I can’t stand running without headphones, running alone isn’t the most exciting thing so I can’t imagine doing it without music. Have a great new year!
    John recently posted…Build Mass Gain MuscleMy Profile