Fred Lebow Half Marathon Training Recap Week #3

I didn’t mind at all that yesterday morning’s temperature was around 30 degrees for my long run. I was looking forward to the chillier air and the opportunity to layer up with my new Runderful Half Zip from lululemon.

It’s the best kind of fashion coincidence that my new hat and neckwarmer, both of which I scored on sale for this winter running season, blend so nicely with the color I picked for the half zip.

lululemon runderful half zip

I absolutely love the fit of this top! It is much softer than last year’s Race Your Pace Half Zip and roomier too. I wore a Run Swiftly long sleeve underneath and you never would have known it was there. The cuff over mittens have a nicer material, stretch a bit differently and the finish at the bottom of the top is better as well (it sits nicer and stays in place). The hidden zip pocket is more towards the front of the shirt than on the side and very easy to access (I put a hammer gel inside).

I will be watching the lululemon sale racks closely so that I can hopefully pick up another one of these Runderful half zips this season (the sales are the best so long as you don’t care about color which I don’t because I care more about price).

My workouts from this past week were pretty typical although I have been running indoors on the treadmill a bit more, not because of the weather but because I do not like to run in the dark. The sun is rising later and later but I am not going to complain because it’s a short-lived inconvenience and at least I have access to a treadmill when I need it 🙂

Fred Lebow Half Marathon Training Recap Week 3

Monday – Pure Barre & Not The 5 Mile Easy Run I Expected

I went to the gym all excited to wear my new pair of Energy Boosts under the assumption that I would run 5 easy miles on the treadmill.

Adidas Energy Boosts

I made it 20 minutes (a little over 2 miles) before switching to the elliptical machine. The treadmill and I were not getting along at all! It became one of those runs where I just knew it was not worth pushing through.The elliptical gave me a great workout and Tuesday’s run became my focus instead.

Pure Barre Tone in 10 Combo:

• Thighs & Seat
  • Seat & Abs

Tuesday – 8 Miles

I was slightly nervous for the treadmill after yesterday but was determined to have a good run. I was very cautious with my pace, keeping it as easy as possible for the first 3 miles (6.3 – 7.0) to avoid the shin splint stiff foot feeling I always talk about that I can get on the treadmill if I go too fast too quickly.

I felt so much better today on the treadmill, had a rough patch during mile 4 but things worked themselves out.

Last 1.5 miles were between 7.5 – 8.2.

Wednesday – Pure Barre Mile High DVD (35 min) & 4 Miles

Every single time I approach this cone on my running path I think it’s an animal. Yes, I should probably wear my glasses while I run but how cool did the picture come out?!

orange cone

Thursday – 8 Miles (5 treadmill, 3 outside)

Uneventful treadmill run = great treadmill run. I finished the last 3 miles outside once it was light enough for me.

Friday – Pure Barre Pure Results  & 4 Easy Miles

splits

Saturday – 13 Miles

I started out faster than I would have liked but overall it was a great run. It sort of went in groups of 3’s.

3 miles effort, 1 mile easy, 3 miles effort, 1 mile easy, 3 miles more effort, 1 mile easy and then 1 fast mile to finish at 13.

splits

I liked this pattern of running, I may do it like this again!

Sunday – Rest Day

lululemon half zip thoughts & weekly workout recap #lululemon #treadmill #running… Click To Tweet

**************

Are you an early morning runner? What type of reflective gear do you wear?

Was it colder for your run this weekend? Did you like it or miss the warm weather?

Do you imagine you see things on your run too?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 20, 2015, 6:18 am

I constantly think I see animals on my run, and alot of the times I am right! That pic of the cone is crazy- it looks like the grass is moving!
    I did the tone in 10 thighs and abs yesterday and I think that may have been the hardest one!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…5 Winter Things + RunfessionsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 20, 2015, 6:29 am

that is a hard one! When I go back to the regular DVD workouts, I think these tone in 10 seem hard because they are so action packed without stopping to stretch.Everything just seems so much faster, I get a little dizzy first thing in the morning from some of them because of the changes in position so quickly.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl December 20, 2015, 8:44 am

It was strange yesterday pulling on leggings instead of shorts and doing two layers on top for my run, but it definitely felt more December-ish! I do love that Lulu half zip, I am stalking the “we made too much” racks at the two UES stores and online 🙂
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 12/14-12/21My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 21, 2015, 4:54 pm

I so want another one of these runderful half zips! I just don’t want to pay full price so I will take any color available should it go on sale.

• Ellie December 20, 2015, 9:02 am

I get scared to run when it’s freezing because I will slip. I stepped outside yesterday morning all ready to hit the pavement…and slipped so I ran to the gym instead =P I’ll work on this. I don’t wear any reflective gear outside what is on my running clothes already. I have a head lamp but forget to wear it.
    Ellie recently posted…Link Love [12/20/2015]My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 20, 2015, 9:27 am

Great week of training! Your long run was especially strong and the workout you did for it sounds fun!
    I do see animals all the time on my runs—usually just ducks, chipmunks, rabbits, eagles, and roosters, but this week I heard a possum creeping in the bushes and practically jumped out my skin.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Whole Wheat Banana Nut Gingerbread LoafMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 21, 2015, 4:52 pm

I would freak if I saw anything other than a bunny or a squirrel while running! When I ran in florida and saw weird birds I hated every second!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 20, 2015, 9:38 am

Love that long run pattern – I’ll have to try that next week to motivate myself to run a bit longer! I also loved running in the cold yesterday and today – kind of wish it would stay this way but it looks like it’s getting insanely warm again.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Big Soft Paleo Chocolate Chunk Cookies {Nut Free Option}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 21, 2015, 4:51 pm

I really liked this long run pattern, I definitely recommend it. I would certainly do it again.

• Fiona December 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

I love your new half-zip, I’m a big fan and wear em all the time. That’s a seriously cool picture, makes me dizzy just looking at it, nicely done! It’s still very mild where I am and I’m still running in shorts thinking one of these days I’m going to be freezing but it hasn’t happened yet. I’m not complaining 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…The Small ThingsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 21, 2015, 4:51 pm

I am not complaining either about the warmer than normal temps! I hope it stays this way.

• Arthi December 20, 2015, 8:51 pm

It was in the negatives when I went out for my 14-miler Saturday morning!! I wore so many layers and the sun was shining bright so it actually wasn’t that terrible! As long as the sun is out and the wind isn’t brutal, I love winter running!
    Arthi recently posted…Weekend Recap – DIY Crazy.My Profile

• Europe restaurant December 21, 2015, 3:20 am

I always slightly nervous for the treadmill, any tips?

• Carla December 21, 2015, 7:07 am

I’m doing a half in January and it was 30 yesterday morning when I hit the pavement. That is really really really cold for this Texan

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 21, 2015, 4:48 pm

That’s even cold for us right now! It’s the warmest December here on record. I hope it stays warm or at least not too too cold for my half in January.