Do I Really Need It?

This post idea came to me during Saturday’s long run as I was thinking about my favorite post run breakfast.

I asked myself, “Do I really need oats in a jar after every long run?”

oats in a jar

Yes, yes I do. While I adore oatmeal for breakfast any morning of the week, there’s just something about this combination after a long run that is quite exciting and extra satisfying. I always prepare my oats in a jar in advance (mixed with berries, Skoop and extra peanut butter) so when I get back from my run, it’s ready and waiting for me 🙂

So I started thinking about other Do I Really Need questions to ask myself this weekend and here’s what I came up with:

Do I really need this adorable Kate Spade cupcake phone case?

Kate Spade cupcake iphone case

No, but I love it! As cute as it is, there’s nothing wrong with the iPhone case I currently have so why spend the $45 for a new one at this point?

Do I really need this beautiful bedding from Pottery Barn (minus the throw pillows)?

Emily and Merritt bedding

I can’t stop thinking about it! It’s so shabby chic meets Ralph Lauren flowers which is EXACTLY my style. This Emily and Merritt Bedding collection is actually from Pottery Barn Teen but it’s like their first duvet and bedding set ever to come in King size so I think it’s a sign that I am supposed to have it.

Do I really need this much frozen broccoli?

frozen broccoli

Yes. I roast frozen broccoli almost every day and Trader Joe’s likes to be out of their frozen broccoli bags all of the time (because they are always out of something) so I stocked up at Shop Rite.

I can’t get over, by the way, how popular my how to roast frozen vegetables post has become. I never thought that post would go viral but hey, not complaining. It’s a great technique, super easy and crazy good.

Do I really need bananas involved in almost everything I eat lately?

english muffin with peanut butter and banana

The answer is yes. I have been craving bananas like wild these days so I needed to add some slices to my super toasted english muffin with peanut butter and jelly on Saturday. With a sprinkle of salt too because salt and bananas are my craving combo in the hours after a long run.

Do I really need to like the color of my running shoes?

Adidas Energy Boosts

Nope. What I need is my favorite pair of Adidas Energy Boosts on my feet even if they are the most boring blah shade of gray. My Energy Boost model is now on the endangered list (trying to stay calm over here) so I ordered two new pairs on sale, not caring that they aren’t pink. I go through running shoes so quickly so who cares what color they are so long as they fit?

Do I really need to wait until tomorrow to share my easy Cold S’mores recipe?

Cold Smores

Yes! While these Cold S’mores are really easy to make, they are not so easy to photograph because they get all melty within minutes. I am going to try to take a few more pictures today, that is assuming we have a stack of them left in the freezer. My son and I kind of really enjoyed them this weekend.

Have a great week!

Do I really need it? #weekend #katespade #smores #oatmeal #Adidas #runningshoes Click To Tweet

************

What color are your running shoes? Do you buy them based on color or fit?

What takes up the most space in your freezer?

Long run cravings?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 14, 2015, 5:37 am

I was just thinking how it’s really weird that I have not been eating bananas at all lately. Maybe I overdid it during marathon training but I think I have only eaten one since my race over 3 weeks ago.
    Lately I have been freezing alot of leftovers to use later this winter when I am feeling lazy and that takes up alot of room in my freezer! We also have a couple of frozen pizzas from traders joes that are kind of big and don’t fit well in there.
    I can’t wait to hear more about that smores recipe!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Workouts Week of 12/7-12/13My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:32 pm

I go through major phases on the bananas. I don’t know what’s up lately but I am eating at least one a day.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe December 14, 2015, 7:01 am

DID YOU REALLY NEED TO TAUNT US LIKE THAT??
    Do I really need 24624563 protein bars? And to keep buying them when I’m not really eating them at the moment? Do I really need 5 jars of nut butter when I’m not going through that like crazy either?
    Yes. JIC.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Working with a Dietitian + Brick Betty Trunk Shows!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:31 pm

Of course just in case, that’s why I have like 12 or 15 jars. what if there’s an emergency? lol

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 14, 2015, 8:29 am

I play this game with myself all the time! The things I “need” do change however! Lately I’ve been “needing” random kitchen props for food photos.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Weekly Workout Recap (Finally!) and Weekend ScenesMy Profile

• Ellie December 14, 2015, 9:09 am

GIVE ME THE COLD S’MORES!!! That looks so good right now! My post long run breakfast depends on the weather. Today it was warm so I wanted a cold bowl of mashed bananas, protien powder, cocoa powder, nuts and PB. When it’s cold, I go for oatmeal or bagels with PB&J. Bananas are the food of God. They are the perfect thing 🙂
    Ellie recently posted…Weekend In Review [12/11-12/13]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:30 pm

pb & j is always wonderful, especially on a toasted bagel. cinnamon raisin bagel 🙂

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com December 14, 2015, 9:10 am

Ugh I hate to say I care about the color of my running shoes….but I do. I’ve had my favorite local running store order shoes for me if they didn’t have the color in the shoe I liked. Frozen fruit definitely takes up the most space in our freezer! I always have a bag of peeled frozen bananas, cherries, mango, etc. Long run cravings are usually a cherry smoothie–I have a hard time getting anything more substantial down right after.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…It’s Christmas Party Season!My Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl December 14, 2015, 9:23 am

I usually crave breakfast foods after a long run, but what I crave varies – sometimes eggs and turkey bacon, sometimes pancakes, and sometimes baked oatmeal. Usually whatever is fastest wins (aka not pancakes unless I’m at a diner that has GF ones)
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Ted Corbitt 15K 2015 Race RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:28 pm

I havn’t had my favorite baked oatmeal from the diner in a while – thanks for reminding me!

• Angie @ Pace with Grace December 14, 2015, 9:41 am

I would look forward to your oats in a jar too after a long run! They sound delicious. And anything with peanut butter… yes! I definitely go for fit and comfort but also consider the color, I will admit. Frozen veggies and fruit take up the most room in my freezer. I love fruit and sometimes buy too much before I can get to it (before it goes bad) so I just throw it in the freezer for smoothies later. I crave an English muffin with PB and honey and eggs after my long runs. Oh and that bedding, SO cute!!
    Angie @ Pace with Grace recently posted…B’s Birthday & Birds on Ice ~ Weekend RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:27 pm

Isn’t that bedding so pretty? I think I need it. Love pb on English muffins 🙂

• Shannon December 14, 2015, 10:50 am

Those smores look amazing! My running shoes are blue at the moment, but I have a few pairs that I rotate.

• Sarah @pickyrunner December 14, 2015, 10:51 am

I cannot wait for that recipe. I’ll probably go out and buy the ingredients immediately… no shame. I am pretty good at playing the “do i really need it” game when I’m shopping. Although lately I’ve been spending money like water. Whoops. My frugal ways are not working for me these days haha
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Holiday Parties x3My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:25 pm

The recipe is so easy and you only need a few ingredients. You can easily make it. It will become your new homemade dessert. I owe you an email.

• Jessie @ The Acquired Sass December 14, 2015, 11:35 am

Those cold s’mores look good enough to wait for. Those sound right up my alley.

And yes, overnight oats are in a jar are indeed a NEED.

While I like to think I buy my shoes based on fit…and I do…color is VERY important. I have to look at them all the time, might as well think they’re fun.
    Jessie @ The Acquired Sass recently posted…Weekend Highlights : Pho la la la laMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:22 pm

I like the fun colors too but end up just getting whatever pair is on sale in my model since I am going through them every 3 months. I don’t like this new gray color but I only wear them for running which is so early in the morning I say whats the difference lol

• AmandaM December 14, 2015, 1:03 pm

I do care about my running shoe look/color. I won’t even try on (what I think) are ugly shoes. Of course I won’t buy a pair that looks good but doesn’t fit. I’ll keep hunting until I find both look and comfort 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:21 pm

I try to get the color I want but my boosts aren’t always available in the colors I like so I just take what I can (so long as they aren’t plain white) and try not to care since I burn through them every 3 months anyway.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 14, 2015, 2:06 pm

I used to have Kate Spade phone cases all of the time, but they broke easily! And by easily, I mean for someone who drops here phone at least twice a day. I buy my running shoes based off fit, but then within the style I’m picky about color.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers 12/7/15 – 12/13/15My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 14, 2015, 2:19 pm

Yes to needing bananas in/on ALL the things! You wouldn’t even believe how fast I go through my stashes. And it’s horrible in the winter because they can’t ripen fast enough in the colder weather! And while I’m not -as- picky with my running shoes (I know, I know), I get pretty anal about my boarding boots… and it’s definitely a fit over colour issue for me there.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…link love 12/13My Profile

• Arthi December 14, 2015, 2:57 pm

Yum! The cold s’more looks delicious!! Looking forward to the recipe!

I always try NOT to be particular about the color of my running shoes and focus on fit, but it’s hard not to care when you spend so much time in them! I love bright, neon, obnoxious colors 🙂

Long run craving … Peanut butter. Anything with peanut butter!
    Arthi recently posted…Weekend Recap: Cookie overload + Photo overload.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 14, 2015, 4:19 pm

I love the bright colors too! I just take whatever color I can get now basically since I go through them within 3 months (I try to avoid all white though).

• JP December 14, 2015, 7:29 pm

I just bought 2 pairs of the brightest, ugliest, most God awful shade of teal, Energy Boosts. Did I need it? Heck yeah!

• Suzy December 14, 2015, 9:03 pm

I buy Asics Nimbus no matter how ugly they might be. They could be covered in pot leaves or kittens and I’d still buy them. It’s all about comfort! And they’re the only shoes that put up with my mileage. I always crave salt after my runs. Alwayyyyys. I’m all about salted peanuts and chocolate chips. And pot leaves and kittens. Jk.
    Suzy recently posted…Week in ReviewMy Profile

• Melissa December 14, 2015, 10:28 pm

Such a fun post!!
    Melissa recently posted…Tiny Beautiful ThingsMy Profile

• Bharat Sharma December 15, 2015, 4:39 am

I think you are asking yourself a lot of questions but at the same time I also think that it’s good to ask these questions to our self and this way we can save our self from impulse buying. I love banana but I am little bored from them and have given a break.

Coming to your questions, It’s been a long long time I went for running and yes, I love my shoes ( which I use mostly for brisk walking ) . I give more importance to how they fit and less to their color but color still matters.

Long run craving ? Well, not for me
    Bharat Sharma recently posted…13 Major Health Benefits Of TurmericMy Profile

• Fiona December 17, 2015, 3:11 pm

I think I should probably do this tomorrow on my run, particularly at the moment when I seem to be fussing over everything about Christmas and spending money everywhere… You are of course right about your shoe colour but I have to confess I have spent a lot of time dwelling on this in the past!
    Fiona recently posted…Mail Order SantaMy Profile