Recent Eats 12/2/15

In my blogger brain, Wednesday = Food.

Recent Eats

I am skipping the What I Ate Wednesday fun though in favor of showing you more than just one day of what I have been eating.

Breakfasts:

I have been hooked on the blueberry pie protein oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter on top….

blueberry pie protein oatmeal

Yet at the same time, I have been trying NOT to eat oatmeal every single morning. I do think it’s good to shock the body every so often and eat something different.

I didn’t do anything crazy like eat something savory but I did bring back my three ingredient pancake for a change figuring I could always use some extra protein from the egg whites.

The only problem is, my pancake flipping skills are really rusty so I end up most mornings with a really big mess in front of me topped with peanut butter.

three ingredient pancake

I added blueberries to the pancake too.

In fairness to myself, I think I just need a new nonstick skillet because clearly my pan has lost its nonstickness.

After being unable to flip my three ingredient pancake, I reinvented the recipe yesterday morning as a mug cake instead, with some Skoop in the mix too.

three ingredient pancake mug cake

Lunches:

I really don’t like lunch, did you know this? It’s like that weird meal in between a yummy breakfast and a hearty dinner. What do I feel like? What will make me happy? What won’t weigh me down for the afternoon but what will fill me enough to function in a friendly manner?

I haven’t really felt like real food — you know, like salads and vegetables and savory menu items?

So that’s how I end up at Red Mango.

red mango parfait

And how I end up toasting random slices of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter and banana in the middle of the day.

peanut butter and banana on ezekiel toast

But then I have a day where I really don’t know what I feel like eating and think I should be a good citizen and eat my greens so that’s how we arrive at a mess of leftover quinoa and brown rice with a mix of broccoli, brussels sprouts, sautéed onions, spinach and I think the remainder of the rainbow carrots.

power bowl

Dinners:

I had planned on following a chili recipe as outlined in this week’s meal planning post but then I felt like doing my own vegetarian thing which isn’t shocking since I am not good at following recipes (because I can’t stand following directions).

I created the best vegetarian chili I have ever made using black beans, sweet potatoes and quinoa and the right combination of spices if I do say so myself. Too bad I didn’t measure them.

sweet potato chili

Pizza night last night took place at Villa Monte because I had zero interest in cooking. And I mean zero. I didn’t want anything to do with my kitchen.

Best whole wheat vegetable slice ever.

pizza

Desserts:

Instead of looking at my repetitive apples with peanut butter and chocolate chips, let’s take a look at my son’s dessert which he has named the “Benji Special”

greek yogurt dessert

He eats this greek yogurt with sprinkles, honey and mini chocolate chips every night.

As for me, I haven’t had greek yogurt since the summer and the thought of it makes me gag. How could that be? I lived on it for so long and now I can barely look at it.

Recent Eats #food #oatmeal #pizza #chili #vegetarian #redmango @healthyskoop #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Are there any foods you used to eat but now don’t like?

What have you been eating for lunch?

Least favorite meal of the day?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 2, 2015, 5:35 am

I never eat yogurt anymore either! It doesn’t really gross me out, but it doesn’t sounds appealing anymore. I used to buy so much chobani and it was pretty expensive. I could probably use the calcium, but I think it was when I did the Whole30 that got me out of the habit of eating it.
    I struggle with lunch too, and usually end up happiest with leftovers from dinner. I like salads from restaurants but I never get excited about them when I make them on my own.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back at November 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:21 pm

I have gotten better at making my own salads by adding roasted vegetables. Somehow that makes it all wonderful

• jill conyers December 2, 2015, 5:50 am

I love all the blueberries and nut butter. Yum!
    jill conyers recently posted…Stay Active This Holiday SeasonMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 2, 2015, 6:38 am

Laughing at the mugcake/pancake 🙂 The chili looks awesome, and as for foods I don’t like, since being sick it seems like I don’t want anything I normally do! Especially eggs, weird! I’m hoping it all comes back over the next few days.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Sick Day Comfort FoodMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:20 pm

I actually really liked the pancake recipe in mug form. Just have to make sure it doesn’t explode in the microwave lol

• Susie @ SuzLyfe December 2, 2015, 7:13 am

Well, the mugcake came out beautifully! And that chili looks pretty darn good, so I’d say you did great. I used to eat oatmeal every day, now I rarely do. I love it when I have it, but it just stopped keeping me really satisfied for longer than a hour or so. So now it is mostly a protein recovery option.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Maintaining Fitness During Injury (Part 2)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:19 pm

I hear ya, it doesn’t always keep me crazy full unless I add protein and peanut butter.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns December 2, 2015, 8:00 am

I really can’t think of any foods that I don’t like! I’ve never been a picky eater, so I can’t think of anything that I don’t like, either now or earlier. All your food looks great!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Trader Joe’sMy Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com December 2, 2015, 9:03 am

I LOVE blueberry protein oatmeal! I can’t think of any foods I no longer like, but I do know I used to hate brussel sprouts and now I love them. This week my lunches have consisted of leftover turkey with roasted brussel sprouts, butternut squash, and pomegranate seeds but I typically go for salads with a veggie burger/protein of some sort with nuts, avocado, tomatoes, etc. Lunch is probably my least favorite meal too, since I’m usually eating at my desk!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…How to Beat Holiday BloatMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:19 pm

It seems all of us dislike lunch the most of all of the meals. Glad I am not alone!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 2, 2015, 9:14 am

Totally with you on the lunch and Greek yogurt thing. I really, REALLY have to make an effort to eat something substantial for lunch instead of just snacking the days away. But it’s always so hard to figure out what I want… And you remember how much Greek yogurt I used to eat! Now, unless it’s baked into something, I rarely ever have it.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:18 pm

Isn’t that funny how we never eat it anymore? I can’t even look at it. So strange.

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl December 2, 2015, 9:23 am

I also love breakfast/brunch and dinner, so usually for lunch I have a salad during the work week and snack all afternoon. Weekends, I do breakfast, brunch and dinner 🙂 Eggs and pancakes are completely acceptable lunch foods!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #34: Thanksgiving LeftoversMy Profile

• Arthi December 2, 2015, 9:38 am

I hear ya on the lunch thing! I hate lunch … Never got into it.

Growing up, I used to love sandwiches/wraps/pitas stuffed with veggies/chicken. Now, I can’t stand any of those things! I like all those ingredients separately … Just not together anymore!
    Arthi recently posted…Monday Night Confessions – Part 36.My Profile

• Lizzie Royer December 2, 2015, 9:55 am

I am usually the same way with lunch–not usually interested in a legit “meal”. However yesterday I brought to work a chicken veggie stir fry which hit the spot! But Monday and probably today shall be apple slices, celery, carrots, and a few spoonfuls of cinnamin raisin peanut butter!! It really depends on my mood but I love the look of your red mango and it makes me wish I had one near me (never had it before!!!)

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:13 pm

Ugh, you need to find a red mango! Such good yogurt and not made with the junky stuff….That’s my problem with lunch, I never know what I will be in the mood for.

• Ellie December 2, 2015, 10:09 am

The only meals I don’t like are those that feel rushed. I get indigestion if I feel stressed while eating. One food I used to love but now don’t eat much is cheese. It’s weird because I do like it when it’s in things, but it’s an ingredient that I forget to add to my meals. I actually go for sweet meals more than savory, so there isn’t much call for cheese in those =P
    Your son’s yogurt looks like something I would make <3
    Ellie recently posted…WIAW [12/02/2015]My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld December 2, 2015, 10:13 am

Don’t get me started on unconventional non traditional lunches….Been testing apple crumble recipes all week which has meant eating just that!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Sugar Cookie Batter OatmealMy Profile

• Shannon December 2, 2015, 10:24 am

I have been making big batches of quinoa and flavoring it differently everyday to change it up for lunch!
    Shannon recently posted…Green Bean CasseroleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:11 pm

I made quinoa this week but I can’t say I always want it at lunch time. I am so difficult!

• Miss Polkadot December 2, 2015, 10:25 am

As I was scrolling through your post I tried to decide what looked best but I really just want to eat all of your meals. Which doesn’t happen too often. I want to try that impromtu dish of grains and lots of greens right now. Yes, please.
    One food I enjoyed as a child but hardly fancy anymore these days is definitely pasta. Unless it’s at Vapiano. They just know their pasta.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Why #goals might not be what they seem likeMy Profile

• AmandaM December 2, 2015, 10:39 am

I don’t like lunch either! I either eat too much and feel weighed down or not enough and then I’m desperately trying to make it to dinner time. Such a dilemma 🙂 I just love breakfast and dinner so much – I can relax at home as opposed to lunch which is at my desk (I walk during my actual break) and it’s just not as enjoyable as meals at home.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:09 pm

I recall the lunch at my desk thing too. Not ideal but yes to walking at lunch time for the actual break. I liked doing that too

• Sarah @pickyrunner December 2, 2015, 10:40 am

You know I hate lunch too. The only thing I can usually tolerate is pizza. If I’m home, I might make a grilled cheese or something, but I typically end up just eating snacks to keep me satisfied. It’s just such an awkward meal. That pizza looks so good. I had pizza last night and it hit the spot. Although I usually stick with plain cheese ha I’m craving a salad tonight
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Thanksgiving 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:08 pm

It’s totally an awkward meal, I never know what I want and I don’t want to think about it.

• Anne December 2, 2015, 10:41 am

I’m glad someone feels the same way about lunch as I do–I never have an actual meal for lunch because I feel like it just weighs me down. I have breakfast and dinner, but in between, my go-to foods are generally raw vegetables, rice cakes, pretzels, fruit, etc–anything that’s easy and keeps me satisfied but not too full. I can sometimes do a bagel in the middle of the day, but other heavy carb-type stuff is disaster–I’d be asleep at my desk!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:07 pm

And I am so glad that I am not alone in my dislike for lunch! It’s so rare that I get that meal right lol

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 2, 2015, 1:58 pm

I’m sooo with you on lunch being my least favorite meal of the day. I usually just roast up some veggies and sweet potato fries and call that lunch. I used to eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal everyday as a late night snack, but now it’s been nearly two years since I’ve had Kashi!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…The Benefits of Pilates for Runners and How to Get StartedMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:06 pm

HAHA yes! That is my lunch so so often. I used to eat cereal at night and add dark chocolate chips, maybe I will go back to that for a change.

• Fiona December 2, 2015, 2:15 pm

Dude, I don’t have a least favourite meal of the day, I love em all 🙂 But you’re right about lunch- the trick is picking something that keeps you going long enough until dinner but doesn’t weigh you down & that’s a toughie to get right! Right now, I seem to be eating a lot of tuna sandwiches. Bacon I don’t really eat anymore- I love the smell of it cooking but eating it always feels like a let down (not as good as it smells) so I don’t really bother with it.
    Fiona recently posted…LyingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 2, 2015, 4:05 pm

I haven’t had bacon in years since becoming a vegetarian but I used to love a good blt.

• Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious December 2, 2015, 8:38 pm

That blueberry protein oatmeal looks so good! And I say unmeasured recipes are the best ones. 🙂
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…WIAW…So Much To Do So Little TimeMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets December 8, 2015, 6:38 am

Lunch is a weird meal. On weekends, when I’m not at the office and bringing in a lunch, I rarely ever eat it, especially if left to my own devices. I’ll have a big breakfast and a bigger dinner with some snacks in between.