How To Add Variety To A Repetitive Workout Routine

I couldn’t agree more with this post from Pure Barre.

Pure Barre

I wanted to talk about our workout routines and finding variety in what can seem like a repetitive schedule.

I am routine by nature and thrive from keeping to my schedule, especially my morning schedule.

I always workout in the morning and I look forward to the repetitive nature of my routine. As repetitive as my workout recaps appear though, each day is always a slightly different workout experience.

how to add variety to your running and workout routine

I may work from home but that doesn’t mean I have the flexibility (or desire) to get crazy diverse with my workouts, visit all of the fitness studios and classes out there to totally change my workout routine up every single day.

This does not mean my workout routine is boring though! I have learned how to add variety each day to keep things interesting and challenge my muscles while still following a set workout plan.

I gave some thought to how I created the basic framework to my workout routine and broke it down for us today so that perhaps you can take a look at the resources you have available to you and put together a workout schedule for yourself to follow.

Step #1 – Think about what you have to work with.

I have three main workout options on any given day:

adding variety to your workout routine

*My go-to running route

*My community gym

*Pure Barre DVDs/Online Yoga

Step #2 – From your list of workout options, build your variety.

I set up this plan for myself a few months ago and I am still loving it. I do not follow it 100% every week but it’s a great guideline for me in terms of balancing my runs with cross-training and strength training.

workout routine

How I add the variety:

Rotate Pure Barre Workouts: I use 5 different Pure Barre workouts therefore I never do the exact same routine more than once in a week.

While each workout follows the same structure, the exercises themselves are slightly different which keeps things interesting and different for me on a daily basis even though the premise of the workout is the same.

Vary My Miles: Each run serves a different purpose.

Some runs are shorter, some are longer, some have speed, some are recovery. I try to vary my miles and structure them differently so that they never seem repetitive or boring.

I think this is quite important to accomplish when you aren’t training for a race. Training for a specific race usually comes with following a training schedule. When you are without a race on your calendar, you may feel lost or short on motivation. Create your own schedule! Create your own variety of running workouts to keep yourself interested and motivated.

Remember to get inside to the gym:  In the winter I find myself in the gym more often, especially for the treadmill, but sometimes, it’s great to get inside and switch things up even when it’s not freezing cold or snowing outside.

Some gym options that I take advantage of depending upon my mood/need for cross-training:

*Elliptical machine/Bike

*Treadmill- great for switching up the running surface as well as having the opportunity to play with the speed and incline features to simulate different types of runs.

*Free weights and weight machines

*Sometimes I make use of all options in the gym, hopping from machine to the other to create a totally varied workout.

Step #3 – What can you do if you have the extra time and desire?

Vary my running route on the weekends. During the week I stay inside my neighborhood but on weekends, when I have more time, I can venture in a different, further direction or drive to another location to really change things up.

Add a spin class or Pure Barre studio class on the weekends. Does this really ever happen? No. But I always have the option should I want it.

Other Posts Of Interest:

Pure Barre Pure Results ReviewIf you are considering Pure Barre from home, this is my latest review on the workouts I rotate!

I Joined The Gym, Now What?Tips on what to do if you started a new gym membership and feel lost.

Negative Split Workout – My favorite running workout that challenges me every single time!

I hope this helps!

How to add variety to your workout routine #running #purebarre #workouts #fitfluential… Click To Tweet

***************

Do you follow a set workout plan or go by feel every day?

Are you currently training for a race?

Who else does Pure Barre?!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe November 3, 2015, 7:15 am

Variety is essential to get results but it also tends to be difficult to achieve to convince one’s self to go after once you find “what works.” Also, every time I try to add variety, I get hurt… womppp
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Because You Can’t Run Everywhere : ParkWhiz ParkingMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma November 3, 2015, 8:05 am

Strange but I can’t even remember what the heck I did prior to marathon training! I really need to read my blog probably to figure that out. I think I like a training plan and get a bit lost without one.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…NYC Marathon 2015 Full Race RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 3, 2015, 4:39 pm

Isn’t it funny how we need to check our blogs to remember what we did when? lol I am the same way. It helps me keep track of when I last bought a pair of running shoes.

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl November 3, 2015, 9:12 am

If only the gyms and classes in NYC weren’t so expensive, I’d be all over barre or yoga on a weekly basis! At least November Project mixes up my workouts and makes sure I do some strength stuff once a week.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal CakeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 3, 2015, 4:38 pm

Seriously, it’s so pricey! I recommend ordering a Pure Barre workout or two to do from home. I really enjoy it and it definitely saves the money.

• Jamie November 3, 2015, 10:01 am

Since I just finished training for NYC, I’m looking forward to just enjoying workouts of my choice. I am hoping to vary up my workouts, increase cross training strength, and prepare for Boston training in January the best way I can!
    Jamie recently posted…NYCM ThoughtsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 3, 2015, 4:37 pm

Congrats again on the marathon! Enjoy some rest, you deserve it after SUnday!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes November 3, 2015, 2:09 pm

I love variety in my workouts. Even when I’m training for a race, I like to add in Pilates, yoga, strength training, and hiking into the mix with running. I was just thinking this weekend about how I need to find new Pilates workouts since I’ve been doing the same 3 or 4 for years now and I need more variety to continue to get stronger and enjoy Pilates.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Why I Became a RRCA Certified Running CoachMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 3, 2015, 4:36 pm

I wish I could recommend a pilates workout for you because I know what you mean by needing something new. The 5 Pure Barre I rotate now are fine but in a year from now, I will need something else going on I am sure!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 3, 2015, 5:21 pm

I’m currently flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to workouts, but I’d definitely like to add a bit more of a routine in there because I feel kind of lost without one. Then again, I’ve got boarding coming up soon, and that’s basically my workout for most of the winter 😛
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. banana oat bread pudding .My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine November 3, 2015, 6:00 pm

I think its going to be weird when marathon training is over and I no longer have a gym membership. Ill need figure out some other ways to get i cardio besides running, especially when we start to get really bad weather.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Route 66 Marathon Training Week 13My Profile

• Andrea November 3, 2015, 7:45 pm

Now that marathon training is over I am going to embrace the lack of a plan! I really want to try out some new classes at the gym like Piyo. I also am looking forward to going for a run without a mileage that I have to hit!! It’s good to have schedules, and it feels like such an accomplishment to follow a training plan, but it is also awesome to just go off of how you feel!

• Bharat Sharma November 4, 2015, 2:59 am

Adding varieties in your daily routine helps in keeping us interested in the task otherwise sooner or later we will get bored of it, and will not give our 100%. I think but there should be a limit on how much you are varying your routine.Too much can be bad and make our life disorganized.
    Bharat Sharma recently posted…33 Major Health & Beauty Benefits of MangoMy Profile