My Second Walk To Fire Island

We went for a walk yesterday to Fire Island.

ocean

Fire Island is a barrier island located off the south shore of Long Island in New York.

The island spans 32 miles in length and averages less than a mile in width.

There are no paved roads on Fire Island and only service and emergency vehicles are allowed.

fire island

Most people take the ferry to Fire Island since cars aren’t allowed (and there’s no way to drive there anyway).

However, I learned a few years ago that you can walk to the most western tip of the island from Robert Moses Beach.

Honestly, it’s the coolest experience ever to walk to Fire Island! When you grow up thinking you can’t get to Fire Island any other way than by boat and then discover you can walk a few miles to get there, it’s just so cool!

fire island walk

The walk to Fire Island starts on boardwalk parallel to the beach but then switches to a sand “road”.

fire island walk

The whole reason I bother to take this walk to Fire Island, aside from the views and coolness factor, is for the food at Surf’s Out.

Even the deer don’t bother me. Okay that’s a lie. They totally freak me out.

deer

This salad was the perfect thing to eat when we arrived at Surf’s Out after walking a few miles — apples, cranberries, candied walnuts and blue cheese with a honey mustard vinaigrette on the side.

salad

Best onion rings in the world. Seriously, it’s a fact. I had them a couple of summers ago at which point I labeled them best onion rings in the world and having them yesterday confirmed their title.

onion rings

Somehow I was talked into climbing 187 steps to get to the top of the Fire Island Lighthouse.

fire island light house

I agreed to this climb before seeing what the winding steps and rope railing looked like.

fire island light house steps

The views from the top of the light house were kind of  worth it.

fire island selfie

I don’t do enough stair climbing anyway. It was a nice workout.

fire island

My hair is a little beachy (beachy hair can be defined as a mixture of sweaty, tangled and out of control) but can you tell I had some highlights done on Saturday?!

fire island light house

Fresh highlights make me happy. As does days like yesterday.

If you are wondering what my shirt says: “Chocolate Icing Makes Me Run Faster”.

Oh, and my sunglasses from Pearle Vision are reminding me to that you need to enter the two Pearle Vision/$100 Visa Gift Card giveaways – click here and here if you missed those posts.

Read about my first ever walk to Fire Island here!

Did you know you can walk to Fire Island? #fireisland #summer #longisland #surfsout #kismet… Click To Tweet

***************

If you live in New York, have you ever walked to Fire Island? Did you know that you could?

Are you an onion rings person or french fries person?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine August 17, 2015, 7:07 am

I had no idea you could walk there! I went a few times when I was little, but more recently we went there for my friends bachelorette weekend in 2010. It took forever to get there from Maryland but I drove and took the ferry with my friend who lives in DC and it was so worth it! Its nice to not have to deal with cars and to just be able to walk everywhere. Looks like a nice walk there from the beach!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Route 66 Marathon Training Weeks 1&2My Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 17, 2015, 7:59 am

OOOOh I’ve done teh Firs Island light house too! I went with friends iduring grad school. I also had the best lobster roll that I have experienced ever there. I think that you could say that I’m a fan.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…A Damn Perfect Weekend and 7 Years TogetherMy Profile

• Jessie August 17, 2015, 8:31 am

I’ve never even heard of Fire Island until watching “Secrets & Wives”. They made it out to be a small island that consisted of majority of lesbians and gay men. Guess not! It looks gorgeous… kind of like YOU!! Holy goodness dear.. I love your hair!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 17, 2015, 8:33 am

LOL — Fire Island does have a small gay section but is an awesome summer vacation spot, kind of like the Hamptons!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns August 17, 2015, 8:48 am

I love lighthouses and long walks on the beach 🙂 Looks like a perfect date night! Gorgeous pictures and the food..I mean come on… it looks delicious!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…MIMM : Perfect Summer WeekendMy Profile

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail August 17, 2015, 8:53 am

Onion rings over everything!:)
    This week is pretty typical for workouts – running, power and yin yoga. Hoping to throw some extra strength training in there as well!
    Love your shirt!!
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Weekend Recap – “Don’t take things so seriously”My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 17, 2015, 9:36 am

The joy of climbing stairs, eh? 😛 I’ve only ever been to NYC once when I was a tiny little thing, and Im pretty sure we didn’t end up going to Fire Island — went to the stop of the Statue of Liberty, though! Looks like fun, and I totally love the lighthouse — so cute.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. i really want to call this post alphabet soup .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

You would really enjoy Fire Island and the adventure of walking there.

• Jamie August 17, 2015, 10:07 am

I’ve never been to Fire Island but I love that no cars are allowed out there! I feel like that would make for some great running… And I’m all about the parmesan truffle fries. So not good for my stomach, so perfect for my mental health. Haha.
    Jamie recently posted…Say What #MIMMMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 18, 2015, 12:35 pm

There were so many people running the path but it was so hot and sunny I never would have done so!

• Suzy August 17, 2015, 10:37 am

You two are so cute, I could die. I love your beachy hair!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma August 17, 2015, 12:39 pm

Fire island is a great day date! Had no idea you could walk there – so cool! Salad looks amazing and is right up my alley. Makes me happy to see you having so much fun 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…NYC Marathon Training Week 5 RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 18, 2015, 12:34 pm

I totally thought of you when I had this salad. I think you should plan this walk maybe for next summer? It’s worth it!

• Shannon August 17, 2015, 12:57 pm

How awesome! Too bad I don’t live in New York. I love exploring new places and going for adventurous hikes.
    Shannon recently posted…Healthy “Fried” BananasMy Profile

• Ash Diamond August 17, 2015, 2:02 pm

That’s so cool that you can walk there! I may have to add that to next summer’s list of things to do!
    Ash Diamond recently posted…We Need A Weekend to Recover from Our WeekendMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

LOVE islands like that!! We have a couple near me in Rhode Island and it’s seriously the best. You look gorgeous with the beachy waves. Mine end up looking like a hot mess when I have a bunch of salt in my hair.

p.s. i need that shirt.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Training 8/9-8/15My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 18, 2015, 12:33 pm

You would love Fire Island. I think you should make it a boat destination.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 17, 2015, 7:51 pm

That tank… typical you! haha!

I haven’t heard of Fire Island but it sounds ironically serene!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Tiramisu PancakesMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl August 18, 2015, 12:08 pm

I’ve lived in the area my whole life but never been to fire island – looks amazing! I’m just back from hiking in the English lakes district and after 85 miles in 5 days, I’ve walked past enough cows and sheep to spook me for a lifetime!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Easy Cheesy Omelet QuesadillaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

OMG I give you credit! That’s a lot of hiking! You must get to Fire Island at least once, it’s fun 🙂