July 4th weekend/workout recap

I don’t want to confuse you or anything but I am about to share my workout recap today, which is Monday, rather than yesterday, which was Sunday.

I gave myself a holiday weekend break from my usual Sunday morning posting so let’s take a quick look at my workouts and combine them with some July 4th highlights — it was a great weekend 🙂

Monday – Pure Barre Studio Series DVD & 30 Minutes Elliptical

Tuesday – 10 Miles

I completed Lisa’s twist on my negative split workout which had me running in a 3-2-1 pattern.

I ran that negative spit pattern three times and added a cool down mile at the end.

splits

Such a fun and challenging way to complete 10 miles!

Wednesday – Pure Barre Mile High DVD & 3 Recovery Miles

Thursday – 8 Miles

Loved this speed workout!

• 2 miles – > warm up
  • 4 miles -> .50 mile speed/.50 mile recovery
  • 1 mile – > speed
  • 1 -> cool down

splits

The mile splits do not show the real picture/give enough credit to how hard I was pushing during the half miles of speed– I was really proud of my effort.

Friday – Pure Barre 60 Minute Online Workout & A Few Recovery Miles

I made the decision to order Pure Barre’s new online 60-minute workout. For $19.99, I have access to the video for one year from any device.

Pure Barre Online Workout

60 minutes is now the longest Pure Barre at-home routine I have yet it didn’t feel so long.

I really liked it but still need to do this workout a few more times before really giving my opinion.

With my workout for the day complete, I was ready for the long holiday weekend to begin.

pool

After sitting by the pool for a bit, we went for lunch at the Premiere Diner, although I ordered my favorite diner breakfast–baked oatmeal.

baked oatmeal

The diner only makes one batch of the baked oatmeal in the morning so there’s always that chance they run out by noon but I got really lucky. With a side of warmed milk, oh it’s just so good!

Another gorgeous Friday night down at Prime (or should I say “up” at Prime since it’s considered the north shore?)

Prime

Saturday – 13.25 Miles

I ran 9 miles on my own (the 3-2-1 negative split method again from Lisa) and then my favorite fitness pal joined me for the last 4 miles.

running shoes

My shoes are so dirty! I can’t even look at them.

We spent the rest of the day on the south shore, first by my parents for lunch where I combined vegetable cream cheese with a cinnamon raisin bagel because the craving told me to do so.

bagel

Our Saturday night plans were in the same neighborhood where I grew up and provided a backyard view of the Jones Beach fireworks show.

july 4

Living on the island (Long Island, that is) is just the best, especially in the summer.

fireworks

I could do without humidity hair although but I guess it’s part of spending your night out on the water.

July 4th:.

Can we discuss dessert for a minute?

dessert

Someone made this m&m cake which, after searching for it on pinterest, is technically referred to as a piñata cake.

cake

You somehow bake the cake with a pile of mini m&m’s in the center so that when you cut it open, they come pouring out. It was so cool!

I want to make a cake like this only I want to bake it from scratch with layers of frosting between the cake layers and of course, frost the outside of the cake with chocolate fudge.

The only issue with a chocolate frosting and m&m’s is that the chocolates may clash in flavor in which case, maybe we go with a whipped cream frosting. Yes, I have given this a lot of thought since Saturday night.

Sunday – 60 Minute Pure Barre Video

After Pure Barre, my friend picked me up for a beach day down in Long Beach.

She even packed me fruit which I ate in the car before we arrived on the sand.

fruit

We walked the boardwalk, got our nails done (we both needed a manicure and getting it done yesterday meant not needing to find the time during the week), had lunch and relaxed.

long beach

So now it’s time for Monday which is never easy but hey, at least it isn’t snowing 🙂

July 4th weekend highlights & workout recap #running #purebarre #weekend #Prime #longbeach #newyork #jonesbeach Click To Tweet

*********

Did you have a nice weekend? Did you run a holiday race?

Have you ever made a piñata cake?

Favorite thing to order at a diner?

Comments

1. says

That cake!!!! I wish I had the heart eyes emoji! I have always wanted to see (and try) one! That dessert is definitely the highlight of the post, did you get to cut it? That would have been amazing for me!!! 😉 i also love you got breakfast food for lunch, I do that a lot. Most people love sandwiches, but I could eat breakfast food all day!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Feta and Grape Green SaladMy Profile

2. says

I’m recently getting more into Barre workouts so I’m curious to see how you like this after time! My weekend was very relaxing to say the least. It was my last full weekend in Paris so I tried to spend as much time with my host family as possible. I have never made a pinata cake but after seeing that one, I think it’s necessary to do so! My parents actually own their own diner so I guess I eat a fair amount of BLT sandwiches on Rye.. oh and LOTS of mustard.
    Alexa @ The Mindful Maritimer recently posted…Weekend Recap: BBQ, Cookies & GoodbyesMy Profile

3. says

We stopped on the way back for those Jones Beach fireworks, we were so close! And yes of course we’d be talking diner food on a long weekend. We actually went in the city though to Madison diner, east 53rd with Adam’s mom. They have great food and huge portions 🙂 My parents go to the premier diner all the time! And that m&m cake is just crazy, my kids would freak out over that.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Running and Yoga + Weekend ScenesMy Profile

• says

I thought it was a city diner because of where in your post it was but for some reason, I decided to ask to be sure lol. So funny you were at the fireworks! We really really really need to meet up when you have time again out here. Emilio’s, I will just keep saying it!

4. says

I think the 3 mile intervals are the perfect way to make the miles fly by. You had a great week of running! So with the Pure Barre online video, is the only option 60 minutes? Or do they have shorter ones? I was just thinking that i haven’t done any barre in awhile and it would be good to try to incorporate it at least every few weeks.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekly Recap And A Weekend UpdateMy Profile

• says

Yeah they only have the one online routine option right now but I think you can shorten it by clicking ahead to separate sections. I have done it twice now but didn’t try only doing specific parts. I know that other barre brands have shorter videos but I love the flow of pure barre and don’t want to mess with it. Check Physique57 maybe? I can’t vouch for it though, but I did look at it a few times.

5. says

Weekend was great, but no races for me! Haha I really enjoy your detailed analysis of the M&M cake. But I feel like you’re spot on. It looks like so much fun to make, although I feel like it could become a huge Pinterest FAIL for me haha. And I’m all about egg sandwiches at the diner… I rarely order anything else.
    Jamie recently posted…#MIMMMy Profile

• says

Aw thanks — I have really found that my sort of new routine is really working for me in terms of making sure I am ready for speed days. Those recovery miles really make the difference for me.

6. says

Wow that cake looks amazing! I’ve never made one myself, but I might have to try some time. Those workouts sound super tough and you’re so speedy! I might have to give them a try some time. I could use some speed in my legs. Glad that you had a great holiday!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Fourth of July Weekend RecapMy Profile

7. says

I can’t even believe that cake! Don’t the M&Ms melt in the middle when it’s baked? It’s SO COOL! I’m extremely curious. I’ll have to wait until it’s not a gazillion degrees before I start baking though.
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

8. says

You KNOW I’m all about that cake. Oh my god I’m drooling and I still have almost 2 hours until lunch. DYING. I need to try making it one time although mine will probably turn into one giant mess because I don’t know how to cook haha. We have so much to catch up on– looks like a great weekend though and I want to eat at that Prime place someday!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Training 6/28-7/4My Profile

9. Tracy says

JUST had the diner conversation with my mom – I so wish we had some good diners in South Florida. There really aren’t any in Palm Beach Gardens and even the delis here aren’t great. I LOVE diners and always loved going up north for family events and getting to go to one. Deli omelets and salads are the best and always huge – love that! Looks like your 4th was so much fun! July here is so hot that daytime events have to involve the pool or beach – and much as I love fireworks, we can’t make it until 9 pm with a 2 year old!

10. says

Goodness those desserts looked to die for! It is also the first time I have actually seen a crazy pinterest recipe being recreated… it always seems as if they’re for ‘looking only’. That baked oatmeal also looked like the perfect food! Contrary to what fitness ‘enthusiasts’ seem to think, barre can be an extremely difficult and intense workout… would love to hear more of your thoughts about it!
    Niki @ Life With Nikiii recently posted…When Everyone’s Life Is Better Than YoursMy Profile

• says

I will review the new barre workout soon but I have done a few Pure Barre reviews in the past (along with my weekly workout recaps) if you are interested in checking them out – visit my running page 🙂

Trackbacks