Nagging Need For Cross-Training

I have this slight nagging need for some cross-training at the moment. I say slight because 99.9% of my being just wants to run outside every single morning but the other 0.1% of me knows that I cannot do that without running myself straight into the ground.

LSR-Tried-it-Tuesday-300x300

I decided to do something different so I tagged along with my fitness pal (and I don’t mean the app) the other day to try out a kickboxing class at a studio I had never been to before last week.

ilovekickboxing.com

To be fair here, kickboxing is not a completely new-to-me activity. I have dabbled in and out of group fitness kickboxing classes since the age of 18 but haven’t taken a class on the regular in almost two years.

kickboxing class

ILoveKickBoxing is a kickboxing studio with lots of locations throughout the country. The class I attended was at the Oyster Bay, NY location but you can click here to find a location near you.

I was extra excited because the purchase of a three-pack of classes came with my very own pair of boxing gloves!

boxing gloves

I felt legit…and happy that I didn’t have to stick my hands in someone else’s sweaty gloves. Ick.

Before the class began, the very nice instructor sat with me for a few minutes to go over my current fitness routine and to discuss what to expect during the 60 minute class.

I made sure to inform her that I am a runner who just ran the Long Island Half two days earlier which was my way of saying, I will go at my own pace during the class and only do what I am comfortable doing as my muscles are sore and I don’t want to overkick or jab my way to an injury.

The truth is though, race recovery or not, I typically go at my own pace with any new (or even old) workout, only doing the parts I am comfortable with and modifying poses as I see fit.

Class Structure:

Taken from their website…

Our class is not a “follow the leader/punch the air” cardio class. It is a well-balanced workout consisting of cardio training and resistance training to help you burn fat and tone muscle in a short amount of time.

The first 30 minutes of class consisted of a brief warm up with cardio bursts like running (I can do that!), burpees (I don’t care to do that!) and lots of other quick little sets of stuff like push ups and core work which, I am so super proud to say, I handled like some old pro.

The second half of the class was spent with my hands inside of my fancy boxing gloves doing the jab – cross – hook thing and kicking the big bag.

kickboxing class

If you are wondering about my pretty pink tank top, it’s the Lululemon Power Y Tank (luon) and I am in love with it! It might be designed for yoga but I wore it for kickboxing and  love it for running. I want one in every color, it’s like second skin comfy and fits really nice too.

Overall Kickboxing Thoughts:

I loved this class! I always enjoyed kickboxing through the years and really liked returning to it right now for a change of pace.

I was really happy to see that I still recalled all of the jab sequences I have learned and that I maintained good form <- the instructor told me so 🙂

I appreciated that this class involved more true kickboxing technique rather than be just another cardio kickbox group fitness class found at any local gym.

It was great comfort to have an instructor by my side since it was my first class to assist me with the second half of class to ensure I was able to follow the punching sequences being directed by the lead instructor.

I noticed a HUGE difference in my strength, balance and ability since the last boxing-style class I took almost two years ago at Lifetime.

kick box 2013

Flashback photo from July 2013! Read the post from that kickboxing class here!

Even I had to go back to reread that post because I recalled that I wanted to die within the first two minutes of that class at Lifetime not to mention I was left beyond sore and unable to move for a day or so after that.

This time however, I didn’t need to die. I felt so much stronger which I attribute 100% to Pure Barre.

Seriously. You can run mile upon mile but will only get stronger when you cross-train on a regular basis to strengthen and balance those muscles, especially when you incorporate the ever-important core work.

I immediately felt my strength during this kickboxing class (especially in my core) and noticed how able I was to keep up with so many parts of this class which made me beam from the inside out because I just knew it had everything to do with the my three (and sometimes four) day a week Pure Barre habit.

What a difference Pure Barre has made in my strength, balance and overall muscle tone in just under a year!

Will I continue to take more kickboxing classes? Yes! I have two left right now and will probably add a few more from time to time in my attempt to cross-train on a more regular basis.

Also on my cross-training list:

*Get back to spinning and try a SoulCycle class

*Hit the gym at least once a week for the elliptical machine in place of an easy run.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Tried It Tuesday posts!

I tried an ILoveKickingBoxing class and loved it! #triedittuesday @scranberry33 #kickboxing… Click To Tweet

**********

Are you a kickboxing class fan?

Do you make sure to cross-train every week instead of running for every workout?

How often do you do core work?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 12, 2015, 7:11 am

Its been many years since i took a kickboxing class, but I used to take them regularly! When I lived at home for a few months after college when my parents were still in NY I went to Lucille Roberts and took classes almost every day. Lately I have been doing a little bit of core/strength work every day and also doing a day of elliptical/body pump class. I think its always good to change things up though so good for you for giving kickboxing a try!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Zero G Storage Review And GiveawayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:54 pm

I remember trying Lucille Roberts on a guest pass with my friend back in college!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 12, 2015, 7:20 am

As you can probably imagine, I was pretty feisty growing up and did allthethings. Including karate and sparring and later kickboxing. I used to love it! I wonder if I still would love it as much.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…#RWCoverSearch and My Top 5 Crohn’s Related Health ConcernsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 12, 2015, 8:04 am

It’s been a while since I’ve tried kickboxing, but I remember really enjoying it. Then again, I love any kind of exercise that doesn’t really feel like exercise… ya know? But I think that keeping workouts varied is super important, not only to keep your body guessing, but to keep yourself from getting bored.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. currently – may 2015 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:51 pm

That’s one of the reasons I love pure barre – it doesn’t feel like exercise.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 12, 2015, 8:18 am

I took a few kickboxing classes probably 10 years ago and I remember them being tough! I know that feeling of needing something else though, I was feeling that way but instead of actual cross training I’m taking a cardio break altogether and sticking with yoga for a couple of weeks. A spin class here and there though would be great, luckily they have early ones at my gym so no excuse!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…10k and 5k Rubin Run RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

It’s always good when the gyms have a good class schedule. I hate when they have classes I want to take but only at terrible times. That happened with barre at lifetime so I never even tried it there when I was a member.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl May 12, 2015, 9:00 am

I’ve never tried kickboxing but I think it would be a great workout since I need to focus on core and arms for cross-training as well. I can’t stop thinking about that Parks and Rec scene where Leslie boxes for 20 seconds at a time though…
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Acres of Ice CreamMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:49 pm

I know we hear it all the time but core work really is that important for us!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 12, 2015, 9:06 am

This sounds like such a fun workout! There’s a kickboxing class at my gym, but like you said it’s just cardio-focused and not a “real” kickboxing workout. I like to do 3 cross training sessions a week – one yoga, one strength and one spinning.
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…10 Days in Europe: How to PackMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:49 pm

Looks like you have a great hold on the cross training thing. I really need to get back to spinning.

• Suzy May 12, 2015, 9:30 am

Can I just be superficial here for a sec and say how cute you are?!? I remember you saying you’re around my age but you seriously look like you’re 23. But anyway, I’ve never tried kickboxing but my sister really loves it. I was over at her place having drinks the other night and when she started getting angry about something during our conversation (not at me, about something else..phew!) she marched me over to her bag and started wailing on it. She let me have a turn, and when I hit that thing, it was quite possibly the most pathetic thing that has ever happened on earth.
    Suzy recently posted…SketchyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:48 pm

Awwwww you are way too kind! Thank you 🙂 I am not the best at punching the big bag but it’s a great stress reliever!

• Jamie May 12, 2015, 9:46 am

I am SO bad about cross training. It is so much easier to just go outside and get a quick run in. But I do attempt to go to 1 or 2 SoulCycle classes a week. I need to focus on strength training though! I’ve never tried KickBoxing but I have done some cross fit (not regularly) but it was definitely fun and different!
    My core work comes in waves – sometimes I do a 5 minute circuit after my runs in the morning, and other times I just eat breakfast instead 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…Tried It TuesdayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:47 pm

I am having trouble with the comments so I don’t know if my first comment went through – I totally agree that it’s all too easy to just step outside and run! And haha – I would totally skip core work for breakfast.

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner May 12, 2015, 10:06 am

So happy you joined TIT ha! You have to try SoulCycle – I want to know your 100% honest opinion. I have taken 3 classes. The first 2 did nothing for me, but the third one was really good and fun. I guess third times a charm! It really all depends on the instructor too – like any class.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Tried it Tuesday #24: Rain is Only a Good Thing when Luke Bryan is InvolvedMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 10:10 am

absolutely it’s all in the instructor in my opinion! Some spin classes have been so bleh for me but with a great instructor? The best workout!

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 12, 2015, 10:38 am

We’ve discussed this at length but I really like kickboxing and I’m glad you enjoyed it this time and felt so much stronger!! If I wasn’t so cheap and particular about the times I workout, I’d probably join a gym with classes to work on strength, but for now I’m happy with my NP workouts twice a week and running/biking the other few days I workout. But man I remember being sore for DAYS the last time I took a kickboxing class. Talk about a total body workout!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Birthday CelebrationsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 12:51 pm

I remember when you had that pack of classes for spin. Was that already like a year ago? Time is just flying by.

• Hayley @ Full of Life May 12, 2015, 10:49 am

I want to try this! Looks fun. I also have yet to try Soul cycle and want to soon since my knee is finally healed. I like to switch it up between running, yoga, and whatever else sounds good.

• Shannon May 12, 2015, 1:52 pm

I have been wanting to try kickboxing classes, but the only ones in my area are the dance like ones. I want some real kickboxing!
    Shannon recently posted…Banana Bread Protein MuffinsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2015, 3:45 pm

I know what you mean – I have taken too many of those type of cardio kick box that I really didn’t like.