Tried It Tuesday – Potatopia!

I am really excited to be linking up today with my Lake Shore Runner-friend Sara’s Tried It Tuesday Series.

The whole point of Tried It Tuesday is to broaden your horizon, try something new to you and then talk about it!

LSR-Tried-it-Tuesday-300x300

For quite some time now, I have been meaning to try out Potatopia, which you may recall me mentioning since it opened fairly recently (right next to Maoz!) in the “Dining District” at Roosevelt Field (our local mall).

maoz-potatopia

Last week became the perfect time to finally order up some potatoes since I was in the midst of my major potato craving spree.

Meet my LOADED baked sweet potato creation…

IMG_0430

So many topping piled on top that you can’t even tell there is a baked sweet potato underneath it all!

It actually looks more like mashed sweet potato but it isn’t.

potatopia

So it works like this:

You have your choice of just going with a Signature Meal created by the Potato Experts….

potatopia signature menu

OR being a little bit high maintenance and building your own by following a series of potato creating steps.

Potatopia Menu

Of course we needed to build our own potatoes and test the potato man’s patience as we contemplated, debated and changed our minds on the toppings over and over again until we got it right.

potatopia

Don’t ask me exactly what my son ordered over there…All I know is that he went with mashed potatoes which I wasn’t thrilled about because I wanted him to get the thick cut chips, shoestring, waffle or curly fries just so we could share and have fun.

I didn’t want mashed potatoes but he didn’t care what I wanted.

Anyway, tons of toppings. Tons of proteins. Tons of options.

potatopia toppings

I tried the Vegetarian Chili but I didn’t get it on my potato. It was okay, nothing special.

potatopia toppings bar

I went with mixed peppers, broccoli, roasted mushrooms, marinated tomatoes, roasted corn and I think the cole slaw.

IMG_0422

And a few dipping sauces.

potatopia with sauces

I did not get any cheese. I don’t love cheese, did you know that?

The Potatopia Positive:

• Major variety
  • Lots of protein choices (chicken, steak, beef, shrimp, bacon, pork)
  • Vegetarian protein options too (chili and cheese)
  • The protein options help to make Potatopia a complete meal rather than just a fun side dish
  • Everything is customizable
  • I like that they offer baked potatoes in addition to the fried and mashed

The Potatopia Negative:

• I didn’t see the portion size of the fried varieties but the baked potatoes were not as giant as you would expect. In fact, the guy gave me two sweet potatoes to fill the plate and told me the sweet potatoes were larger than the regular potatoes they had on hand which I found odd.
  • They don’t have avocado. Or guacamole <- Like, what?! How do you not involve avocado in your potato bar?
  • They need sautéed onions as a topping option. And onion rings!
  • Even though they have a vegetarian chili, I think they should offer more bean options for vegetarians and vegans (black beans, chick peas etc.) because I didn’t really like the chili, didn’t want cheese and ended up without protein. Oops.
  • I really liked my potato bowl…but I missed Maoz and kept gazing on over to their counter.

Maoz

I had to get myself a Maoz side salad. I couldn’t leave the mall without my favorite roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

Next up on my list of places to try in the dining district will be The Little Beet.

So far I have only stopped at The Little Beet for samples but they don’t let you sample their sweet potatoes (trust me, I tried) and they look way too good to never experience.

The Little Beet Sweet Potatoes

Be sure to check out what everyone else is trying for Tried It Tuesday!

I finally tried Potatopia! Check out my review #potatopia #triedittuesday #potatoes… Click To Tweet

*******

Are you a mashed potato, baked potato or fried potato lover?

Favorite food court food to order?

What are you craving lately?

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runn April 14, 2015, 6:15 am

Yayyyy so excited you were able to link-up today! That sweet potato looks amazing. I don’t know if I can say the same for your sons 🙂 ha. No avacado?! What? How dare them.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runn recently posted…Tried it Tuesday #20: Try to Make You LaughMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:20 pm

Hahaha what the heck was on his plate?! I know it was mashed potatoes and I think he got bacon. Maybe some cheese. I don’t really know.

• Jillie April 14, 2015, 6:39 am

Seriously no avocado? That should have been the red flag right there. What kind of establishment doesn’t offer the best healthy fat there is? Sigh. I’m sure you were tempted to go back to Maoz (which I still have YET to go to), but at least now you know that you’re a tried and true devotee and know Maoz will probably win every time.
    Jillie recently posted…It’s a Rocky Road – Life Post Whole30My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:19 pm

It’s so weird that they didn’t have avocado! Maoz is a forever favorite of mine, just like Red Mango 🙂

• jill conyers April 14, 2015, 6:40 am

Yum! I would love to try Potatopia. Stuffed sweet potatoes are the best.
    jill conyers recently posted…18-Minute HIIT WorkoutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:18 pm

I really did like it, just wished they had some more of my favorite toppings.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe April 14, 2015, 7:16 am

As long as price lined up with satiety, this is an awesome idea for runners! Probably not the best option for an everyday thing if you went whole hog every time, but with balance, a great idea!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…What is Crohn’s Disease? (Living with Crohn’s Pt 2)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:18 pm

You know, I didn’t mention the price which means it didn’t bother me! I am such a stickler when it comes to bang for the buck. This was definitely within line with what I would expect to be charged. Not too pricey at all for what they serve.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns April 14, 2015, 8:02 am

WHAT?!?! A potato bar?! This sounds so freaking good lol! I would love to try this out 🙂
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…10K Race Playlist and 6 Tips for Back-to-Back RacesMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 14, 2015, 8:05 am

Would love to try that! I’m always meaning to make my own loaded baked potato and then never do, so I will order them out to eat. Such a great idea 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…10 Thoughts on Yoga for RunnersMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:09 pm

And I was totally thinking and almost added in to the post that I think Paleo can eat happy at Potatopia…which meansit’s an option if we meet at the mall? 🙂

• Suzy April 14, 2015, 10:04 am

I’m not a huge fan of potatoes, which disappoints my Irish husband and his family to no end (although I drink enough Guinness to make up for it). If I’m hungry and feeling carby, I’d way rather have bread and butter. I love Chinese food at food courts. That’s my thing.
    Suzy recently posted…Abraham Lincoln Had a Step MomMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

I used to LOVE Chinese spare ribs. My favorite part of Chinese food. You made me laugh out loud at the Guinness part!

• hayley@HealthyRegardsHayley April 14, 2015, 10:19 am

Baked potato all the way! This is a great concept but they are definitely missing some key ingredients and I wouldn’t be happy with a small potato either.
    hayley@HealthyRegardsHayley recently posted…Training Summary 4.6 – 4.12 + a grab bag of random topics.My Profile

• Miss Polkadot April 14, 2015, 10:29 am

The lack of vegetarian options is a pity but other than that your meal looks great. There’s this chain called ‘Mr. Kumpir’ in a city close to where I live and they offer essentially the same concept: a humungous potato stuffed with your choice of toppings and sauce. They have a menu with pre-selected vegetarian and one vegan ‘kumpir’ [among several meat options] but I always create my own. I’ll have to check to see if they offer guacamole or avocado next time around.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #85My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:07 pm

I love stuffing baked potatoes – it’s such a great meal with tons of variety but we need avocado! lol

• Hayley @ Full of Life April 14, 2015, 10:31 am

This place looks right up my alley – I love every form of potatoes (except I don’t like mashed either!). Have you tried japanese sweet potatoes? Those are my jam.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:06 pm

I have tried the Japanese sweet potatoes but I don’t see them enough at my local stores to get them on a regular basis. I need to get to Whole Foods, they usually sell them.

• Shannon April 14, 2015, 11:54 am

Geez! Your mall has some awesome food choices. My mall is going through some upgrades, but right now there are not very many good options.
    I am definitely a baked potato lover, and have been eating them like crazy this past month.
    Shannon recently posted…Three Bean Vegetarian ChiliMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 14, 2015, 1:05 pm

What’s with us and the potatoes lately?! I am loving the mall choices right now, I am really excited about all of these new places and they have Red Mango too!

• Molly @ Motherhood and Marathons April 14, 2015, 1:43 pm

Looks interesting! I like potatoes in any form, but my very favorite is a baked sweet potato with blue cheese crumbles on top – yes, I know I’m weird 🙂

I absolutely adore Chick Fil A – that’s my favorite mall food court option. Asian chicken salad with a side of waffle fries – Amazing!
    Molly @ Motherhood and Marathons recently posted…No Place I’d Rather BeMy Profile

• Lily Lau April 14, 2015, 3:06 pm

Hadn’t seen any negatives until you mentioned them, then I was like yeah, that’s right… and yep, that too! Hahaha, sounds great though! 🙂

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 15, 2015, 1:44 am

Not going to lie, I totally google mapped it!

We have a place here called ‘Spudbar’ and it is a similar concept and I think does a pretty decent job for vegetarian protein options- My sister gets the curried lentil daal on a sweet potato.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Man Sass Mondays #7- America, E-Books and desserts made of liesMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 19, 2015, 9:55 am

Potatopia sounds like a dream come true for me, although I’d want some other veggie friendly protein options too, like black beans. Then again, I’d probably make due with all the cheese. 🙂