What I Ate Yesterday

A quick look at what I ate yesterday…

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

I can’t remember the last time I ate just one breakfast and I also can’t remember the last time I was able to sip my first cup of coffee at a leisurely pace rather than gulp it down in two seconds.

oatmeal

Early morning (as in still dark outside) pre-run small bowl of oatmeal with mashed banana, cinnamon and peanut butter. Can you see my mug is basically empty before I even took a bite of the oatmeal?

After my run (nine miles!), I came home wanting a simple english muffin with peanut butter rather than my usual oats in a jar.

english muffin with peanut butter

It’s extremely rare for me to switch up my post-run meal but this Rudi’s Organic Spelt English Muffin topped with a mix of Crunch Time Peanut Butter, Trader Joe’s Crunchy Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds and some cranberry apple jelly hit the spot!

I needed a change of weekday pace for lunch too.

red mango parfait

Red Mango is usually a weekend lunch treat but I just needed it yesterday, you hear me? I needed it.

I didn’t want to look at another salad or vegetable or anything savory of that sort. I wanted my parfait layered all nice with berries, pumpkin flax granola and dark chocolate chips.

It’s not like I miss out on my vegetable servings anyway because I always seem to get them in later in the day.

A peak inside a steam fresh bag of mixed vegetables…

steamfresh vegetables

I really like steam fresh bags of veggies. I heat them up sometimes while dinner is cooking and pick through the mix.

This mix is my favorite – snap peas, broccoli, water chestnuts and carrots. I could do without the carrots but I guess they make it more interesting and colorful.

Let’s just call this another plant-based power bowl for dinner.

plant based power bowl

Roasted brussels sprouts with other vegetables, chick peas, brown rice and avocado. Hummus too!

Dessert was a winner. A real winner.

peanut butter banana snack cake

I ended up with a jar of PB2 in my pantry after telling you I stopped buying it because it was on sale so I figured, like, okay why not?!

The one thing I do love about PB2 is how well it combines with bananas, fresh or frozen.

For this dessert, I mashed a fresh banana, added PB2 with water (don’t ask me how much because I don’t know) plus dark chocolate and a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter.

Warmed in the microwave for a minute and you have some sort of gooey snacking cake.

It’s so simple it’s silly. I can’t even call it a recipe.

Wait, I totally had an apple somewhere in the day too.

apple

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

What I Ate Yesterday #wiaw #redmango #peanutbutter #plantbased #powerbowl Click To Tweet

**************

Are you a two breakfast eater?

Do you always eat the same thing after your run or do you switch it up?

If you buy steam fresh/frozen vegetables, which mixes are your favorite?

Comments

1. says

Oookay, you might have just inspired a future snack/dessert idea with that PB2 mix there. I still have some jars of the European brand I got for review sitting around here so thanks for the inspiration! I hardly eat it as is as – like you – I prefer real nut butter. I think you can totally call your mug cake a recipe. Some bloggers thin nut butter out with milk selling it to their readers as an ‘awesome way to create low-cal nut butter’ so …. yes.
    The picking at steamfresh vegetables reminds me of the scenario that’s happened every time for lunch the past days. I happened upon a giant bag of broccoli that had to be used in my parents’ freezer [okay, I was the one buying it when I visited them way back]. After I took out a serving in the basement, I walked back to the kitchen, defrosted the broccoli to start preparing lunch and proceeded to eat almost all of it before I could even add it to the pan. And then I was too lazy to walk back down to get more … (:
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Food Talk Wednesday #1My Profile

• says

I hope your stomach agrees with some sprouts because they are just too good to not be able to eat! I do okay with them, especially if they are the only fresh roasted vegetable on my plate. I mix them with steamfresh – easier on my stomach that way.

2. says

I only have two breakfasts if I go to the gym in the morning. Then, I need something before I go and something right after! That dessert you made sounds delicious. I absolutely love PB2, and I think I’m going to have to try that out!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Monthly Goals : AprilMy Profile

3. says

My breakfast(s) kind of depends on what I do that morning. Lately I have only had time for 1. Going to the gym just takes more time than stepping outside for a run. But ideally I do like to eat 2 breakfasts. This morning I had a lara bar and a banana before heading to the gym, and a smoothie after. That seemed to work well but only time will tell because I may be starving in an hour:) Eggs definitely keep me full longer but they take more time, and I didn’t have a chance to make a frittata over the weekend.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…When You Want To Blog But Don’t Feel Like Thinking…My Profile

4. says

I switch back forth between roasted veggies and steamed veggies, but my favorite mix is the same as yours. In Canada it’s called the Asian mix. I love it mostly because of the water chestnuts, which I never feel they give enough of, so I keep cans of sliced chestnuts in the pantry so that I can add more.
    And while I would never eat PB2 on it’s own, I do love it mixed with crunchy peanut butter.

• says

I LOVE WATER CHESTNUTS! They never give enough of them, although this last bag had a good amount! I always order a side of extra water chestnuts when we order Chinese food lol.

5. says

Definitely a two breakfast kind of girl, and sometimes even 3 if I wake up crazy early. I’m actually thinking that today might end up being one of those days since… omg, 4 AM. And my only requirement for frozen veggie mixes is that they have broccoli. That’s hands down my favourite steamed veggie.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. almond butter protein fudge .My Profile

6. says

Ooh I love that PB2 dessert! I love PB2 and always just eat it with water and SOMETIMES add in vanilla protein powder and/or honey. Never that concoction though – it looks like a great dessert!
    Also yay for WIAW – i love sharing my eats and seeing what everyone else is having!
    Melissa recently posted…WIAW: Sunday! (Cake for Breakfast)My Profile

7. says

Here I come to see purple oats and you let me down..but that’s okay because you totally made up for it with lunch 😉

Frozen veggies here are terrible- wilted and soggy- Although I have a recipe using them next week which I shall dub the meredith 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Easy Sweet Chilli SalmonMy Profile