Jeans Can Lie – NEDA Week

Did you see this awesome article from Runner’s World about runners and jeans?

I had been wanting to talk about jeans again recently and seeing this article made all of my thoughts come together.

They always say that jeans can’t lie but lately I am convinced that just like the scale, they most certainly can.

jeans-can-lie-quote

I don’t own a scale. If I were to step on a scale right now, I wouldn’t know if the number was up or down from the last time since I can’t remember when the last time I weighed myself was or even what it said.

Instead of monitoring my weight with a scale, I figured my jeans were a good enough method of checking in with myself every so often but lately that method is becoming ridiculous the more I think about it!

I consistently run 40+ miles a week which I think is like 10 or even 15 miles more on average than where I was a year ago and Pure Barre has become a five-day a week habit which I adore as much as my morning coffee.

Both of those activities have helped to shape my figure into a slightly more muscular and toned version which I absolutely love.

Yet while muscular and toned is what we want, it does change how your clothes will fit.

The jeans I have been checking in with sometimes feel different. They still fit but they fit differently and I don’t like it.

No. That’s not it. What I don’t like is the mindset I begin to have when I think my jeans fit different.

I quickly realized that this thought-process was just unacceptable and dumb.

I love how I look and how I feel. I don’t need my jeans from before I ran this much to make me feel as though I “gained weight” because that is so far from the truth.

This coincides nicely with National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (NEDA).

Although I have never suffered with an eating disorder, I did have my time with amenorrhea which stemmed from not eating enough for what my body required.

I love my post from NEDA week last year. Click here if you missed it; I go into more depth about eating disorders, running and amenorrhea.

Even if you have never personally dealt with an eating disorder or disordered eating (although I think we ALL suffer from some form of disordered eating even if it isn’t harming us), it can happen out of nowhere and spiral out of control before you know it which is something I am really conscious of and do my best to avoid.

I really like my muscles. I may struggle pulling some jeans over my calves but those calves keep me running and running makes me happy.

And my Jewish thighs which sometimes rebel against the denim? They have more shape and definition than I ever could have imagined. I thank Pure Barre for that.

Of course I could give up some of my miles in favor of losing muscle and having my jeans hang on me but that’s not what I want.

What I want and need is simple — new jeans!

The skinny stretchy kind that fit my shape now, not my pairs from five years ago that sit too low on my hips, slide down as I walk yet touch my thighs more than I want to feel.

jeans

I found two new pairs of jeans recently (from ruby and jenna <- love this store) and I just love how they fit and how I feel when I wear them.

What I love even more though is that I am starting fresh, no longer slipping on my older pairs as if I am monitoring changes.

IMG_9740

I have no replacement for monitoring my size anymore. And I have decided that I do not need one.

The media overwhelms us into believing that only when our clothes get looser have we achieved some sort of happy balanced body status.

size doesn't matter quote

I get my period like clockwork which is my body’s way of telling me every month that I am doing A-Okay.

No pair of jeans is going to mess with that.

Jeans Can Lie - NEDA Week #NEDA @runnersworld #jeans Click To Tweet

Have you noticed that your jeans fit differently from running/working out?

Do you own a scale?

If you wrote a post for NEDA week, feel free to share the link in the comments!

Comments

1. says

NICE. Like this post. I’ve got a long torso and yes, a muscular bum/legs and so it’s forever been a problem to find jeans that fit me properly. Rawr! American Eagle jeans are the WORST for my body type. Silver (the brand, not the colour…eeep!) are good ones.
    Suzy recently posted…Back-FlipsMy Profile

2. says

Isn’t it so freeing to not worry about weight or how clothes fit? I’ve found lately that when you are eating food thats good for you and staying physically active everything else will fall into place. I do have a scale but its tucked away in the back of my bathroom cabinet. I used to keep it out years ago but I realized it drove me crazy when i would feel the need to step on it each morning! So I stopped…and finally realized there was no point in even keeping it out.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Tried It Tuesday: Pilates and Reflex FitnessMy Profile

3. says

I think that if you clothes don’t fit differently, then you are doing something wrong! But I do relate to the stuffed sausage feeling–that is where I have been of late. But I also know that it will change after the marathon, and then the booty that I worked so hard for is going to slim down some. I have always been a tough fit in clothes–when I rode, I had quite a lower body, and I am thick waisted by nature. So for me to base my entire mentality off of how a pair of jeans fits? That is like getting mad at myself because I can’t run the mileage that you are!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Common Yoga Mistakes Clinic–Conclusion and Best PracticeMy Profile

4. says

What a beautiful and inspiring post, thank you!!! I totally agree with each and every word you wrote. A scale or jeans should not be an indicator of how healthy you are. Everyone knows their body and if you’re eating healthy and exercising than there is no need to fuss over the scale and jeans. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post with us!!
    Taca @ A Side Of Dessert recently posted…Things that make me happy!My Profile

5. says

I love this! Honestly, the scale, jeans fitting, etc. they’re all kind of like ways of putting yourself in a box and saying this is the only way you’re acceptable. But there is so much more to it! Be healthy! Get strong! But don’t stress about a jean size or a number on a scale 🙂

6. says

Scale and jeans – they’re both measurements and ways to judge! Maybe that’s why I’m happier in spandex everyday 🙂 I agree with you that at least amongst who I know, everyone seems to have some degree of “disorder” or body image/eating issues even if they’ve never had a serious eating disorder. It’s really encouraged by our culture so it’s not surprising at all. After 3 pregnancies I have jeans in many many sizes so at least I can always find something that fits!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Running and Anxiety Part III – Staying HealthyMy Profile

7. says

Yep, you know I relate to this. I wear jeans way less than I used to and prefer dress pants (like chinos) surprisingly because they fit looser. I don’t own a scale and the last time I was weighed my weight was about 10 pounds higher than I remember it being last, but I think it has also stabilized since then. I don’t want what I wear or what I weigh to affect how I feel about myself, so I don’t weigh myself and I buy new clothes when things don’t fit the way I want them to anymore. I know I’m healthier than I’ve ever been right now and that’s all that matters. I am checking out these two brands of jeans you mentioned though because it is SO FREAKING HARD to find pairs that fit my very muscular legs. I can thank my dad’s side of the family for that…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…FlexibilityMy Profile

• says

I really love these new jeans. They are both super soft and comfortable and fit true to size (the waist slides a bit but that’s what happens to me no matter what I think)…And they are not expensive at all! Compared to what I normally by, I find these to be just as nice and over half the price.

8. niki fahey says

I am wondering how you get your information or know about eating disorders. Can I ask if you have struggled, taken classes or other ways of learning? I really like your blog
    thanks
    Nikki

• says

No, I have never had an eating disorder but I had amenorrhea. I guess from that experience I learned a lot through research. I read a lot of blogs and also learned a lot about nutrition for sports performance while studying for my professional certificate in the same area. If you are looking for more info, I shared some links in the post (through the link from last year’s NEDA post). Let me know if you have any questions, I can try to guide you towards the information you may be seeking.

• niki fahey says

Thank you. I was just curious. I have struggled for years and know more resources than I should. It just seems like this week only there is a lot of focus and I am just trying to figure out who is genuine:) I like you and your blog because you are “real”
        thanks
        nik

9. says

I totally love this post! Jeans sometimes suck all the high and positivity that I had from my great week of working out and eating right when they are tighter than normal and make me feel ‘fat’ or ‘tighter than they did before’. I have very muscular legs (and everything else) and it can really be a confidence basher shopping for jeans. Hence, I stick to leggings and workout clothes as much as possible! haha! Great post and great outlook!
    Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz recently posted…50 Shades and 50 Reps WorkoutMy Profile

10. Lauren says

Just came across your blog and LOVE this post so much. I’ve changed up my workout routine over the past year or so and while I feel more fit, putting on a lot of my jeans and pants has made me want to cry because they just fit differently and of course the first thought is WHY AM I FAT I NEED TO QUIT EATING and really, it’s just more muscle and the results of more focused workouts (and probably better nutrition). so again, thank you. This post seriously brightened my day and has encouraged me to just get rid of the pants that make me sad and get some that fit better 🙂

• says

I’m so glad you found me and can relate to what I was saying! It’s a crazy thing those jeans – they can really play with your head. More muscle for me has meant those jeans just fit so different! I am not bulky but my shape has changed every so slightly which seems magnified when I pull those pants on! Its a confusing thing until you stop to realize there’s nothing wrong – we just need new jeans! Or really, just to get used to how the pants now fit but no one enjoys that “different” feeling and for me, I cannot stand my pants sliding down or clinging to my thighs.

11. says

I can very much relate to this… only my leg muscles come from snowboarding more so than running. But it’s honestly been a while since I’ve actually worn a pair of jeans, mostly because I find them uncomfortably stiff and awkward. It’s super hard for me to find a pair that actually fit properly, too, so I usually just give up and go the comfort route instead.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. secret ingredient chocolate smoothie .My Profile

12. says

I have been making myself so upset over this for months. It’s so silly and frustrating. I always think I have worked out so hard and been “pretty” good about eating well and then a week later I feel like the jeans are TIGHTER. ARGH! It is ridiculous, and I should know better, but it seems to be the “go-to” mental response, unfortunately. Thanks for posting this – it’s really great!
    Erin@BeetsPerMinute recently posted…That time I had to learn how to spell again : Thursdays are for Thinking Out Loud.My Profile

• says

Jeans can be tough as most structured clothes can be, especially when our bodies change from exercise. It’s not always weight gain that changes things which is what we need to remember.

Trackbacks