Small Changes For The Bigger Results

Who wants to take my place this morning as the person in charge of getting my son up and out the door for school for the first time in two weeks?

I didn’t think I would have any volunteers. It isn’t going to pretty.

Thankfully I am a morning person, otherwise first mornings back to the routine would be that much more grueling.

I ran around a bit yesterday getting ready for this week, at the last-minute remembering I needed to go to Whole Foods to get fresh turkey from the deli counter for my son’s lunch.

And I couldn’t help myself.

Whole Foods Food Bar

I know, I know– a small box of roasted vegetables is not the worst habit to have in the world but I am on the fence here with resolving to stop this little trend of every time I go to Whole Foods I make a little snack box which just adds to the amount of money I am spending.

They don’t call it Whole Paycheck instead of Whole Foods for nothing.

I am not big on resolutions but you must know that by now, right?

To me, the whole January 1st thing is like a waiting for Monday thing.

I just never could get on board with needing to change as of January 1st.

Each day of the year is an opportunity for new and good things to happen as well as for us to MAKE happen.

Each day of the year offers us a chance to start over, make changes, find the balance we are looking for.

I honestly wake up every morning hopeful and excited to see what the day can bring me and what I can bring for myself.

I am a lot like Annie. You know, the sun will come out tomorrow?

Or even Paula Abdul, the promise of a new day?

It sounds so silly but it’s true; even in the darkest of moments, I rely on the sun coming up, the start of a clean slate and the possibility for something special.

Like strawberries back on store shelves at a decent price! I was so excited to pick up a few containers yesterday!

strawberries

If you skip the gym three days in a row, if you ordered take-out more nights than you know you should have, if you have a day (or two) of overindulging, an afternoon into the evening of bingeing on chocolate and chips, you don’t need to worry.

You don’t need to throw in the healthy lifestyle towel and give up until next Monday or next year.

A healthy lifestyle is about finding balance, not trying to be perfect (because perfect isn’t possible) and figuring out a way to incorporate the activities you love (running and Pure Barre!) with the foods you love to both nourish your body (roasted vegetables!) and your soul (dessert!).

Sometimes the drastic changes we expect to make at resolution time along with the pressure of sticking to an almost unrealistic routine becomes so overwhelming and difficult that the healthy habit intentions are lost pretty quickly…..

…But it doesn’t have to be that way.

A more gradual approach to making a change is usually better.

I have talked about Start, Stop, Keep before (click here) but it is worth mentioning again.

start stop keep

I first learned about the Start, Stop Keep approach when I was studying to obtain my professional certificate in Sports Nutrition and Performance and was immediately intrigued by the technique.

It’s gradual. It’s designed by you. The pressure and overwhelming nature of change is low (how I like it!).

You don’t need to give everything up, you don’t need to change everything all at once and you even get to praise yourself for what you are already doing well.

They say that small changes in life are the ones that lead to the big results.

Sometimes we can adjust better when things are gradual and not completely life-altering.

It may take a little more time to see a result BUT the results are more likely to stick around and you are less likely to give up.

Be honest with yourself though. Since you are in control, you need to take control.

Like that whole Johari Window thing we talked about when it comes to digging deep in our personalities:

What do you know you need to change, start doing, get rid of, focus on?

This is the perfect opportunity to break out a nice new journal and start keeping track of your changes, thoughts and progress.

I love a good journal. A pretty notebook. A cute little pen.

I have always had a fondness for stationary products mainly in the form of Hello Kitty pencils, notebooks and desktop accessories.

Did I mention there was a Hello Kitty store in the Orlando Airport?

hello kitty

It was like heaven if only my son wasn’t tagging behind me making fun of the obsession that I refuse to ever outgrow.

Wish me luck getting my son up for school now….

Have a great Monday and most likely, your first day back to the routine!

********************

What’s on tap for your workout today?

Do you shop at Whole Foods often and if so, what are your favorite items to buy?

Paper planner/notebook or do you use your phone/computer to keep track of things?

Comments

1. says

Good luck with him! I need to work on that tomorrow is a new fresh day. I am one of those… Monday people. However, since the baby I’ve been pretty good and just going with the flow when it comes to my diet. Eating healthy when I can and if I want something “bad” I eat it and move on. Does this mean I’m growing up?
    Ashley @ Kickashmom recently posted…My best ideas come at 3amMy Profile

2. says

Oh yes, I totally agree, as you saw with my anti goal post. Making giant changes that you will never stick to is useless, but making these small commitments will day by day get you there! Love it! My workout today is a 9 mile easy recovery run 🙂

3. says

Even though I was pretty happy with how things were going I figured I would use the New Year as a reason to improve and try some new things. As I wrote about today I think it can be detrimental to always go all out before the first day that you make a change…that can get you into a bad cycle. But I like to have times where I don’t worry as much and then it feels good to get back on track later.
    Luckily there isn’t a whole foods that is convenient to where i live. however, there is one around the block from where I am moving so I know I am in trouble! (There are also 2 starbucks within 2 miles).
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Fresh Start & A Whole30My Profile

• says

I hope you don’t have a Red Mango in that two mile zone by the new house too! It’s going to take major will power for you to not stop in the morning for coffee and the food bar as take out on the way home!

4. Carmella says

I hope you had luck getting your son up for school this morning! It was my first day back and I did not want to go, after that long 2 week break. Have a good day!

5. Jennifer says

I’ve resolved to have no New Years Resolutions this year – i’m calling them “commitments” instead. I think it is a far more positive spin on trying to make changes. Resolutions get broken. Resolutions seem so lofty…the “I’ll lose 80 lbs this year” goal fails to celebrate the postive that “I commit to walking 10K steps a day” can bring. At least for me, it feels more positive.
    I totally embrace the “every day is a new day to start over” approach. I don’t wait for Monday. There is something empowering about turing an ordinary day into the extraordinary. I like your “start, stop, keep” approach…might have to try that too!
    Today was “back to school” for us too. I was glad it is at least sunny today…which always makes a commute “easier” to deal with.

• says

I was just saying to a friend how dreadful Monday mornings can be when they are dark and gloomy! I like your commitment ideas and oh, I will never count my steps in a day. I reviewed the fitbit last year, for some people it’s great – the numbers and so much tracking is just not for me.

6. says

Arrgghhh… I had to get four kids up this morning, two of them teenagers, one of them baby, who threw his breakfast all over the floor. Boooo. Love this post. You’re right–the all-or-nothing approach to anything tends to set us up for failure. Balance is everything!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

7. says

I very much operate under the belief that there’s nothing a night of sleep can’t fix. No matter how bad of a day I’m having, I always know that tomorrow will be better. And I’m with you on not liking the huge amount of pressure and expectation that come with resolutions. I don’t normally make them, but I do have a few bigger goals in mind this year that I’m splitting up into smaller monthly goals to help me get there [with my sanity instant]. I have a feeling it’s going to be a good year.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 1/4 .My Profile

8. says

Hope the first day back to school was a good one. My boys go back tomorrow and it will be a long day – my 16 year old has been sleeping until at least 11:00am most days and tomorrow will start at 6:00am and end after 10:00 (pep band for basketball).
    We don’t have a Whole Foods which is probably a good thing:)
    I love that graphic – easy to remember the 3 steps!!!
    Kim recently posted…Not Goodbye After allMy Profile

9. says

OOOO Whole Foods is my biggest weakness. I can not go in there without getting snacks from the bins. Trail mix, dried fruit and mixed nuts are my favorite favorite. Kind of like you and the your ‘snack box’

10. says

This is why I make To Do lists daily. Each day is an opportunity, although I still penned some New Year’s Resolutions because let’s be honest, I’ll take any opportunity where I get to pen a list.

Trackbacks