A Thanksgiving Thinking Out Loud

How about making this a Thanksgiving Thinking Out loud kind of morning?

Thinking-Out-Loud

My all-time favorite Thanksgiving picture is from when my son was around six weeks old (2003).

benji's first thanksgiving

I mean, he cried if we held him, he cried whenever (and wherever) we tried to put him down so why not attempt to put him down in the pan that was about to hold the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner?

So get this — My son will actually be with me this year on Thanksgiving.

The traditional co-parenting arrangement typically set forth in a divorce agreement doesn’t hold much weight in our house.

You know, alternating holidays and such? I told my son a few years ago that it was perfectly okay with me (and his dad) that he decide on his own where he would like to spend holidays rather than rely on a schedule.

I also told him that his choices would never be hurting anyone’s feelings on either side of the family because everyone just wants him to be happy.

My son has spent Thanksgiving with his dad for the last few years which I certainly didn’t blame him for; my mother-in-law always made a delicious holiday (oh the apple crisp) but this year, to my surprise, he decided to spend the holiday with me.

We kicked off Thanksgiving Eve last night by the way at the Islanders game.

Islanders

Do the cool kids still observe Thanksgiving Eve? I was dragging by the time this game ended (overtime win!) and while driving home (in the sleet, snow and rain) I reflected upon Thanksgiving Eves of the past where I would go to the Islanders game with my dad and then go home, get my car and first go out with my friends.

Now I fight with myself to take the two minutes to remove my makeup before collapsing into bed.

I considered going to the Macy’s Parade this morning for about half a second until I realized that watching it from home while baking cookies sounded like a better idea.

oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies

I made the dough for my oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies yesterday afternoon because I wanted it to chill overnight.

I also have my double crumb apple crisp to make today (yes, that’s what I decided to make) so going to the parade and spending the entire day in city followed by Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt’s house (or do I call it an apartment since it’s technically an apartment in the city but I always just say house?) would just be too much.

I never send holiday cards but decided yesterday in Target that if I did, it would look like this one.

Papyrus Ice Cream Cone card

How special would you feel if you received a card like this?

It’s totally frame-worthy, certainly not throw in the back of the junk drawer material.

I really need to clean out the junk drawer in my kitchen. Thanks for the reminder.

Time for me to go eat and run now because that’s what I do….

Have a very Happy and Delicious Thanksgiving if you are celebrating today!

And oh, don’t forget to check out what everyone else is thinking about.

*****************

What are you cooking and/or baking today?

Do you watch/or go to the parade?

Who is running in a race today?

Do you send holiday cards?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe November 27, 2014, 7:01 am

So happy that you will be spending today with your son–that is so special. And you know exactly why he was crying during that Thanksgiving–he wanted to eat the food, but couldn’t yet!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…The Concept of Home: ThanksgivingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:51 am

You are so right! My son has always known good food when he sees it. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine November 27, 2014, 7:09 am

That picture of your son is too funny! That is so nice that he will be spending Thanksgiving with you this year!
    I hope you guys have a great day with lots of good food! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Time To Be Thankful (TOL 27)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:41 am

I almost feel bad that I still laugh at the fact we stuck our baby in a mashed potato pan lol. It was literally for a second, but still. Ha. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Linda @ The Fitty November 27, 2014, 7:14 am

That dough looks good enough to eat on its own without baking! You sure you aren’t Pillsbury himself??
    Linda @ The Fitty recently posted…TARA STILES LIKED ME + A 10K RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:40 am

You are too kind…I love cookie dough! As an adult now I try to be smart and not eat the raw dough but ugh, it’s so good!

• Carmella November 27, 2014, 7:15 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I am getting ready to run the Run for the Diamonds this morning. This is the 105th running and a Thanksgiving tradition in Berwick,PA. Enjoy you time with your son and family.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Have a terrific race! I remember you telling me you guys were running this one! Sounds like such fun, wish I lived closer to run it too! Happy Thanksgiving!

• Jessie November 27, 2014, 7:48 am

Brings tears to my eyes that your son is spending the holiday with you. You really are a terrific Mom. Have a wonderful day together <3

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Aw you are too sweet. Hope you are feeling better, Happy Thanksgiving.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 27, 2014, 7:54 am

I would definitely feel special if I received a cared like that in the mail. Just sayin’ 😉 And that’s so sweet that your son decided to spend Thanksgiving with you this year. I hope you both have an awesome one, with plenty of good and lots of love <3

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:38 am

If I send you that card, you have to promise to frame it and never ever throw it out. It’s just too pretty.

• Lizzy November 27, 2014, 7:55 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful day with your family and especially your son.

I’m still en route, so I won’t be running a race this morning. 🙁 It feels like all my runner friends are running today and I really wish I could join them.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma November 27, 2014, 8:02 am

SO glad you get to be with your son this year! Have a great day! I am heading out to my parents house actually today in a couple of hours so I’ll be in the area 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…30 Thanks for ThanksgivingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:37 am

Have a great time! Figures I am headed to the city when you are heading this way. One of these days we need to meet up for a bit.

• Shannon November 27, 2014, 8:23 am

I am so jealous you are able to attend the Macy’s parade! That would be so cool! Even though I don’t blame you for not going! Happy thanksgiving.
    Shannon recently posted…WIAW- My Thanksgiving menuMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 27, 2014, 9:36 am

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! The parade is cool but really, it’s a lot of prep just to get there, find your spot and see something. Sometimes the tv is best!

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runn November 27, 2014, 1:32 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy that this year you will be having it with your son this year. He might just be a little too big to fit into the mash potato dish now 🙂
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runn recently posted…Happy Thanksgiving + TraditionsMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets November 28, 2014, 9:49 am

Happy Thanksgiving. That’s awesome you had your son wit you this year.