Although I have naturally gravitated towards a mostly plant-based vegetarian lifestyle, I will never be 100% plant-based or vegan.
I refuse to give up my favorite chocolate desserts and Red Mango frozen yogurt parfaits, not to mention – in my opinion – a life without real cheese pizza once in a while isn’t much of a life at all.
It’s funny, I eliminated meat and poultry from my diet almost three years ago and not once (really, not once) have I had a real craving for either source of animal protein.
Quite often however, I will experience strong cravings for eggs to the point where I find myself scrambling up an omelette at midnight because the need is so strong that it wakes me from my sleep.
These sudden and severe cravings usually happen after my long runs and I attribute this to my body needing one or more of the Nutritional Powerhouse qualities found in eggs.
Pete & Gerry’s Organic Eggs provide us with the safest and highest quality because they are raised on real family farms committed to producing fresh, organic eggs from hens that are raised humanely.
Not all eggs are created equal. Organic eggs are one of the few grocery items that are worth my extra money and time seeking out each week.
Pete & Gerry’s Organic Eggs are America’s first Certified Humane egg producer as well as the first “B-Corp Certified” farm.
Wondering what that USDA Certified Organic label even means on the egg carton? According to Pete And Gerry’s:
- Our hens are never caged, and all our barns allow them access to the outdoors. Our animal welfare standards go even farther than the Organic seal requires!
- We never administer antibiotics or hormones to our hens.
- Our hens’ 100% organic feed contains no pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, or GMOs.
- It’s also free of animal by-products (and the drug residues/pathogens that may be associated with them). No slaughterhouse waste allowed!
- Our farms are inspected at least once a year by a third-party certifier with USDA accreditation.
You can read a little bit more in depth about the important and meaning of Certified Humane and Cage-Free by clicking here.
In my opinion, organic eggs taste that much more amazing because they exude an overall fresher flavor and if this makes sense, they even taste cleaner.
I never liked hard-boiled eggs and the smell (plus appearance) of egg salad turns me off completely but there are so many ways to incorporate eggs into your diet!
Aside from scrambled eggs, I love my three-ingredient pancake, often whip a bunch of egg whites into my morning bowl of oatmeal for staying power and enjoy veggie-packed omelette for lunch or dinner.
There is nothing wrong with sometimes choosing just the whites of the egg by the way.
As nutritious as the yolks are, the white of the egg contains most of the protein and really, some recipes just work better when using only the whites.
In fact, I have an awesome new recipe for you today, which utilizes just the egg whites. It’s similar to my three-ingredient pancake but this time, instead of banana as the third ingredient, we are using butternut squash!
Tis the season for my butternut squash obsession.
This pancake, which flips sometimes more like an omelette, is so easy to whip up and can be served sweet or savory – or both!
For breakfast lunch or dinner, this combination of organic egg whites, chia seeds and mashed butternut squash provides us with a nice dose of filling lean protein, a serving of veggies and lots of fiber and omega-3’s!
I like to top mine with peanut butter but you can also go with avocado. Get creative!
Pete and Gerry’s is kind enough to help me offer one reader a $100 Visa Gift Card!
To enter for a chance to win, leave a comment on this post telling me why you love small family farms.
You can also tell me your favorite way to incorporate organic eggs into your diet.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/10/14 – 12/31/14
Be sure to visit the PGO & Nellies brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!