Thought Per Picture/Beach Weekend

Friday may have been all rainy and icky outside but the rest of the weekend was just fabulous.

allegria rooftop

View from the Allegria Hotel rooftop yesterday afternoon.

Last Monday I recapped the weekend with a thought per picture and I think I shall do it again.

My Pro Compression calf sleeves and I have become best friends fast.

. pro  compression calf sleeves

After running 14.1 miles Saturday morning only to shower, eat and get ready for the beach, I made the smart decision to wear the compression sleeves until my feet hit sand.

compression sleeves

I didn’t really care who looked at me and my polka-dotted calves while I waited online in Starbucks. I never jump back out the door so fast after a long run and wanted to ensure I felt as well and recovered as possible. Yes, the compression sleeves really do make a difference.

My friend has the only Blackberry left in America.

blackberry

My stomach knows it is summer when Gino’s salads are back on my weekend lunch menu. ginos-salad

I always forget to say no olives. I don’t like olives but as I have gotten older, I have learned to suck it up and eat them rather than try to pick them all out.

Don’t worry, I still found time to squeeze in Red Mango although it wasn’t as easy since the Long Beach store closed which I don’t want to talk about since it upsets me more than I should admit.

red mango

Sunday morning I was lucky enough to have a friend accompany me for a boardwalk run. running shadow

If you are wondering if I have suddenly become a friendly runner looking to run and chat, that’s not exactly the case. I only ran with her for about half a mile until we parted workout ways but it’s fine because I made us both our own jars of oats and stuff as our post-workout breakfast on the beach.

oats-in-a-jar

You know she is a special friend when I not only share the oatmeal, greek yogurt and fruit from my kitchen but give up one of my empty peanut butter jars.

Since I don’t want to talk about the Red Mango location that closed in Long Beach, instead let’s discuss that I discovered yesterday that Tutti Frutti sells Chloe’s Soft Serve Fruit as part of their wall of self-serve choices.

chloes

I went with Chloe’s Strawberry plus a plain tart yogurt mixed up with lots of berries, pineapple, granola and chocolate chips for a happy beach lunch.

tutti-frutti

It’s not Red Mango but when you crave a frozen fruity lunch or snack in the summer, this will work.

If you saw a spoon display you would take one of each like I did right? I mean, that’s why they leave them all out isn’t it? They can’t expect you to take just one.

spoons

I spent several waking hours both Saturday and Sunday lounging on the beach. When I wasn’t people watching (people either have no shame or no mirror) or chatting with my friends, I was reading Fitness Magazines.

fitness magazine

This month’s issue was really terrific so I tried to locate a few of the links to the articles for you:

Seven Foods For Prettier Skinabsolutely agree based upon my own personal experiences with consuming these foods.

Surprising Stats About Sweat – interesting

Are You Too Healthy For Your Own Good? – great article about Orthorexia and one woman’s struggle with the not spoken about enough eating disorder.

Hope we all have an easy time adjusting to Monday. Not easy after a terrific summer weekend, is it.

**********************

Do you still have a Blackberry?

Do you subscribe to magazines? Which ones?

Best thing you ate all weekend?

Comments

1. says

Haha you crack me up. The solo running- I feel you. Right now I’m loving it even though I was all about running dates about a month ago. How things have changed… People watching at the beach is the best. I never understand people’s outfits. You don’t even want to know how terrible the lifeguards are. I feel like the meanest person in the world laughing at people but sometimes it’s hard not to!
    Sarah recently posted…The Little Things- Boat lifeMy Profile

• says

I will absolutely make running date exceptions, however, for the majority of my runs, I just wouldn’t work to run with someone unless we can keep a similar pace. I don’t have enough runner friends for that to happen. And yeah, I like to be left alone too…Ha, beach people watching. I can only imagine what you lifeguards are saying up there!

2. says

Sarah recently posted…The Little Things- Boat lifeMy Profile

3. says

Seriously an awesome weekend! And you’ve seen the outfits that I wear after long, hard runs, I think that polka dot compression sleeves at starbucks are the least of your worries, haha. And no joke, I was thinking to myself, either she has a ton of left over PB jars or….. and then you mentioned being extra charitable. A tip o the hat to you, my lady.
    I don’t still have my Blackberry, but I did have one when I met my husband nearly 6 years ago and he used to ask me how it did the impressive things that it did–my reply was “goodwill and magic”
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Not According to Plan. Beast moded Anyway #MIMMMy Profile

• says

I loved my blackberry at one time in my life but can’t imagine it still functions as well as the iphones we are used to….And yeah, I struggled half a second to give up an almost empty peanut butter jar.

4. says

I wanna come live with you for the weekends, you live the LIFE! Two froyos in one weekend!That is awesome! Although I am a little disappointed in your toppings, where are all the candy ones? None of this fruit stuff in mine 😛 Just kidding,have what you like! Best thing I ate all weekend? The pie I won for sure, it was amazing!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Strawberries and Cream Protein BarsMy Profile

• says

You should totally come out to the island the next time you are in the tri-state area! As for my yogurt toppings, I typically eat Red Mango and even yesterday’s Tutti Frutti as lunch therefore I try to go with fruit, pumpkin flax granola and dark chocolate chips to make it more meal-worthy lol. I love that you won a pie!

5. says

You’re a better person than I am — there’s no way I’m eating olives if someone throws them in my salad. I’ve gotten al to better with being less picky over the years, but olives are still a no-no. As is kale. And eggplant. But I think I’m doing alright overall 🙂

And can you believe that I’ve only ever had 2 magazine subscriptions in my whole life? One was a car magazine when I was younger, and the other was Shape, which I cancelled a handful of years back.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. currently – july 2014 .My Profile

• says

If the olives are whole, I definitely take them out. Chopped up, I try to deal. I get Fitness Magazine for free with my race registration each year otherwise I don’t regularly subscribe to magazines anymore. I used to love In Style. That was a must for me for many years.

6. says

I have a subscription to Runner’s World but that’s about it and I even have a hard time always reading those. I stuffed a bunch of unread copies into my beach bag for the summer though 🙂 And I was really impressed with your ability to run with a friend even if only for a little while. Whenever I run with someone we have an agreement that we won’t talk and will just run next to each other. I need all my air for breathing and not talking 🙂
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Armpocket Review & {GIVEAWAY!}My Profile

• says

I really can’t run with anyone so don’t be too impressed! I like my alone time not to mention, I don’t know anyone really who can run at the same pace as me. I do talk though a lot while running since I often take phone calls if I am bored of music.

7. Frank says

I only have a “not-so-smart phone”.

I haven’t subscribed to any magazines in quite some time.

Best thing I ate all weekend was at a last minute late Sunday dinner with my friend Tony – Barramundi in Thai-style coconut/red curry broth with fried rice (though not like Chinese Restaurant fried rice, much more delicate with chopped mushrooms and red peppers), and baby bok choy at Druthers in Saratoga. Exceptionally tasty, cooked perfectly, and a great value, especially for Saratoga in the summer time.

8. says

Hello Meredith,
    I’m glad you had a fun July 4th weekend! Also, those FroYo flavors look amazing! We have an Orange Leaf nearby which is one of the BEST local yogurt shops we have here. The best 3 flavors I like to mix in the Summer are mango, coconut and honeydew. I need to get over there again…and bring my camera!

I also love the links for these articles. ALL are excellent!
    Have a great day!
    ~Amy 🙂
    Amy recently posted…Marvelous Monday #3 – Moist Apple-Cinnamon Coffee Cake RecipeMy Profile

9. says

Your froyo pictures always leave me drooling. Looks like you had a great weekend! I need to start making overnight oats in the PB jars…such a genius idea. I started my blog this weekend! Feels like quite an accomplishment after being a silent reader for so long 🙂
    Alexis Teevens recently posted…Welcome to RUN Crush!My Profile

• says

So exciting that you started your blog! I love oats in a jar but I never make overnight oats- I prefer cooked oats mixed up with yogurt, fruit and peanut butter. Better consistency if you ask me.

10. says

In Maryland, I went to Tutti Fruitti often with my friends! I kept the spoons, and I use them to mix my coffee in the morning so I don’t use up all my regular spoons. Your concoctions always look so good! I often go for all the fruity flavors and toppings. I also like to get coffee and pistachio yogurt with oreos on top!
    Sam @ The Running Graduate recently posted…A Marvelous Weekend | MIMMMy Profile

11. says

I would definitely take one of each of these precious spoons.

Somehow I got subscribed to Self magazine. I am not really sure how this happened, but since I am not a big magazine reader, I rarely read it. I also somehow started getting a lot of free nurse magazines when I graduated nursing school years ago. Even after moving, they still somehow end up at my home.
    Carson recently posted…Normal people. Whatever that is.My Profile