Marathon Plan (!!) + On This Day

thinking out loud

I train really hard to make it look easy” – that’s what Shalane Flanagan said while being interviewed on Live with Kelly and Ryan. I had the television on in the background while I was working the other morning. Normally I tune out background noise but somehow, I picked up on her saying that great quote!

And then I caught another great moment – they asked her what she ate when her appetite returned after the marathon.

Her reply – “A slice of New York pizza” – smart girl!

Once Shalane mentioned pizza, I immediately thought back to being in the city with Heather over the summer. Heather’s first thought after landing here in New York was pizza too.

pizza

So I have a marathon plan, in case you were wondering.

Yup, I DO.

My marathon plan is to enter the New York City Marathon lottery in January and then NOT THINK ABOUT IT.

If somehow I get in for 2018, I will deal with it then by calling Laura to let her know we have some work to do. I trust her enough to know that she will train and prepare me well enough for running 26.2 miles through the 5 boroughs (and all of those hills) so I will be fine. And that’s that.

We all know that I never really had the desire to run a marathon and I am still not so sure that my desire is as high or as determined as others BUT I think I need to enter the lottery anyway. While I entered the lottery a few years ago (and didn’t get in), I don’t think I cared or ever planned to enter it again.

I just don’t want to look back when I’m in the nursing home one day and have the other ladies hear that I used to be a runner and then ask me about my experience with running the New York City Marathon and have to say, no I never ran it but wish that I did.

Just one time.

Am I the only one who thinks about life in the nursing home one day? It was on my mind when I was deciding on my hairstyle for the Bar Mitzvah too. I didn’t want to show the ladies in the nursing home the Bar Mitzvah albums and have to chime in with, but I hated my hairstyle. It’s a good thing my hair ended up coming out perfect. 🙂

It would just be a total shame for a half marathon distance runner like me, who lives right here in New York, to never give the 26.2 miles around NYC at least one shot. They said the average age for running the New York City marathon is 41. I will be 40 in 2018 (I know, that sounds ridiculous) so I’m technically in my prime for this whole thing anyway.

So that’s my marathon plan. Enter lottery, not think about it and see what happens. Even if I do get in, I am going to try not thinking much about what I am doing throughout the training either. The more I think about running 26.2 miles, the more exhausted I become. But then my dad likes to tell me that you only have to run the 26.2 miles one time, in the race!

See, when you naturally just cap yourself for years, typically at 13-14 miles, that’s a tough spot to break out of both mentally and physically. But I know I can do it. Hey, my dad ran it three times and so many other people do it so of course I can do it too.

We shall see.

On This Day:

11/9/16: It’s Not OK When Your Keurig Breaks In The Morning! (WIAW)OMG, my biggest fear every morning is that my Keurig won’t work and I won’t be able to make a cup of coffee! I hate when this happens!

11/9/15: 2 Things To Tell You –  One of the few times I actually popped into the Pure Barre studio for a class rather than just do the workouts from home. I had also signed up for the Fred Lebow Half Marathon – not a bad idea to run a few races in Central Park in 2018 should I get in for the marathon!

11/9/14: Weekly Workout Recap

11/9/13: No Bake Trail Mix BitesYou know, back during that time when I used to experiment in the kitchen with healthy recipes.

My Marathon Plan & On This Day #thinkingoutloud #marathon #tcsnycmarathon #pizza #purebarre Click To Tweet

What do you like to eat as soon as your appetite returns after a race?

Anyone else thinking about entering the marathon lottery?

How old will you be at your next birthday?

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Samantha November 9, 2017, 7:23 am

I think its great that you’re going to give entering into the drawing another chance, I think that I might try entering into it as well! I’m not so sure that after a long/ hard run there is one thing i always gravitate towards to eat.. it just kinda depends!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes November 9, 2017, 8:47 am

Yes! I am so excited for you and hope you get in! After a race I always want a burger and fries – my body craves salt and protein. It takes a few hours for my appetite to return so I usually have something bland for lunch and the burger for dinner.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…My Favorite Hearty and Healthy Soup RecipesMy Profile

• Caroline November 9, 2017, 9:01 am

Good luck with the lottery! The best part is you know that it is out of your hands, so if you get in or don’t, the result feels like it is meant to be. My craving after a long run is usually a big breakfast sandwich. Either bacon/sausage, egg, and cheese or even better, a bagel piled high with lox and tomatoes, and capers.

• Emily November 9, 2017, 9:46 am

WOOHOO! If it’s meant to be you’ll get into the marathon; the more I’ve realized that, the more at peace I am. God works out what He wants to work out, and I’m thankful for that! And I can see why Shalane craves pizza after a long run; especially New York Pizza :)))
    Emily recently posted…Comment on The Story of Jess: How Learning God’s Love Trumps Eating Disorders by Nicole @ Bento MomentosMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 9, 2017, 10:11 am

I definitely believe in the whole if it’s meant to be, it will be too! So we will see.

• Alyssa November 9, 2017, 9:56 am

When I couldn’t run in 2016 because I was pregnant I sort of thought the same way as you – I deferred to 2017 and didn’t think about it. Then 2017 rolled around and apparently you need to decide if you’re accepting your deferral at the beginning of April, and I was 2 weeks postpartum at the deadline and was like NOPE NO WAY. Which I am so happy I decided because no way was I even in half marathon running shape. This weekend I ran 7 miles and I’ve built up to that so slowly over the past months! I might enter the lottery in January too and then just not think about it, if I even feel ready, or I might decide I’m going to wait on the whole NYC marathon thing until I’m past the baby stage.
    Alyssa recently posted…What’s a Millennial Mom To Do?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 9, 2017, 10:10 am

and I can’t even imagine training for a marathon (or any race) during those early years so if you can – more kudos to you! I see so many moms do it, I just know it NEVER would have worked for me back then. And that’s okay because here I am now with the time and energy to do it (I think lol)

• Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real November 9, 2017, 10:12 am

Good luck with the lottery! I love how you have a care free attitude about it. I’m not thinking about entering the lottery but I’m highly considering running Philly 2018 as my first marathon. Something about having a lottery tell me if I get in seems iffy. But we’ll see what happens!

• Patricia @Sweet and Strong November 9, 2017, 11:54 am

I definitly think you should enter and see what happens. I myself enjoy running, but have no desire to run a marathon. My sister does however and she just recently qualified for Boston and is so excited to do that next Spring!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Take Time for Yourself with these 20 Self Care ActivitiesMy Profile

• Lisa @ Mile by Mile November 9, 2017, 7:43 pm

That sounds like a great plan!! So exciting. I kind of hope you get in because I think you would really enjoy it;)
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…Review of the Running For Real Strength Training Program: An Individualized Workout Plan for RunnersMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets November 13, 2017, 1:40 pm

I’m glad you entered the lottery and I really hope you get picked. I think it’s something you need to do if only so you have no regrets.

I picture you as one of the Golden Girls later in life. You’d rock it.

PS. I turn 40 in 2018 too. I’m going to Vegas.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: Food, Frolicking and Felines (#108)My Profile

• Nicole @ Bento Momentos November 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

Best of luck!!
    Nicole @ Bento Momentos recently posted…Earn Money by Doing what you’re Already Doing – SwagbucksMy Profile