Not Your Average Runner

I am not your average runner. Who wants to be average anyway?

While I meet many of the standard “you know you are a runner when” components (like my appetite), I realized that I stray far from the full list of average runner qualities.

I came up with 6 reasons why I am not your average runner. Although I am sure there are more reasons, I think this is a good place to start!

not your average runner

1.I don’t wish to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great that other runners have the BQ goals. I am in major awe and proud of all of my running friends who ran the Boston Marathon yesterday. But personally? Me, run the Boston Marathon? I have no interest. It’s not even something I think about!

2. I don’t have any true desire to run a marathon.

Perhaps my lack of interest in running the Boston Marathon has something to do with not really wanting to run any marathon.

There’s no explaining it beyond saying that I don’t have the desire to run so many miles. I hit 13.1 miles and I am satisfied.

Sometimes I think that it’s my duty as a New Yorker to run the New York City Marathon (because how could I not?) but geez, I just don’t feel like it. It seems rather tiring if you ask me.

See also: It’s okay to not sign up for a race.

3. I don’t use a running watch.

The thought of spending money on a watch for running seems like such a waste of precious dollars for me that could be better spent on cute heels. And, the thought of receiving a running watch as a gift would be like getting me a kitchen appliance for my birthday.

Just no.

Until Chopard decides to come out with a running watch with floating ruby running shoes in the dial, I will stick to the free running apps on my phone to track my miles.

My current Chopard watch has floating fish, how cute would running shoes be?!

Even if the free running apps like Runkeeper and MapMyRun aren’t 100% accurate, what’s the difference? As my dad always reminds me, I am not training for the Olympics.

4.  Running apparel is always at the bottom of my shopping list.

Of course I have my running apparel essentials and always update my running shoes as soon as necessary. However, the rest of my wardrobe will take priority when I have money to spend at the mall.

I was in the mall the other day and thought about another pair of the lululemon hottie hot shorts but then said to myself, go find new sandals for spring or a cute bathing suit for summer instead!

5. I don’t talk about running.

Aside from texting Laura about our workouts, I really don’t talk about running.

My friends and family must realize I run every morning and they all know I have a blog but we don’t actually talk about my workouts.

6. If I read a book or magazine, it’s not about running.

I read running blogs every day but the only books and magazines you will find on my night table are romance novels or In Style magazine.

And on a similar note, I don’t listen to running or fitness podcasts. It’s not that I wouldn’t, I just don’t want to because in some sort of weird way, it really doesn’t interest me.

But see, I do love to run.

Running is what I do right after breakfast, without fail, six days a week. I love to chat with you about it and make up workouts and recap the few races I run a year.

I may never run a marathon or sport all the runner gear but I am still a runner.

We runners possess a lot of the same qualities but we are all different. Different interests, styles and abilities. And that’s okay! Who wants to be just like someone else anyway? You can’t do something just because everyone else wants to do it. You have to do what you want to do and run how you want to run.

And on that note, I’m off to go for my morning run. 🙂

I am not your average runner! #running #runner #run #Chopard #fitness #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Running watch or running app? Which app do you use?

Favorite race distance? Is there a race distance you have no interest in running?

What type of books and magazines do you read?

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Mile by Mile April 18, 2017, 5:23 am

I knew all of this about you but when you put it all together its interesting to see! I am guilty of all of these things. Pretty much the only podcasts Ive never listened to have been about running or fitness, and about 90% of the books I read are as well.
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…7 Mistakes To Avoid At Your Next RaceMy Profile

• Lesq April 18, 2017, 7:29 am

I was thinking about this the other day while I was running!!! I have been running since I am twelve( started jogging daily with my dad and such fond childhood memories of it through my entire growing up). I have run all through college and graduate school and still do so six days per week. I have a very small breakfast just like yours and go to a two hour yoga class every weekday followed by a run and then brunch. I get up very early so all of that is finished before the typical person has even thought about lunch. I am commmenting because I am the most atypical runner! Most people don’t even know I run. Some days I run ten miles and some days fifteen and some days just five. When it is inclement weather I stay home and run my treadmill. I have never run a marathon and have no interest in doing so. I have cute running gear and I do not give it any thought about replacement until I need to. Quality, stylish and proper seasonal gear is my mindset. My yoga and running gear really overlap a lot. I love hearing about marathon experiences, but it’s not my jam. Also, I am an atypical eater for a runner–peanut butter, oats, occasional eggs, salads and veggie/grain/potato bowls fuel me and I know that wouldn’t appeal to most. Guess thats why I relate to you because our running and outlook on life is very similar. At this stage in my life I travel a lot and my running gear is always packed and used–I run wherever I am bec I love the freedom of running in other countries. Lastly, I have never owned a running watch and never will. Couldn’t care less too. I appreciate those that like that kind of run, but I run for the feeling of freedom, strength, and serenity it provides me with. It silences my mind and quiets my mouth two qualities I have worked towards my whole life and boy is it liberating. Like being on the highway in a convertible with the wind hitting your face and the music playing on a beautiful day. Have an awesome day!!!

• Krista @ Gringita April 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Running watches all the way, I don’t understand people who use apps (my dad does too) haha, I mean the app is just not as accurate and also what if your phone dies!
    I prefer 10k – half marathon distance, 5ks are too short for me because I’m not a fast runner so they tend to make me feel shitty about how slow I am haha
    Krista @ Gringita recently posted…Semana Santa & Sunday FundayMy Profile

• Gretchen April 18, 2017, 8:41 am

I love how open the sport of running is and that there are so many different types of people that do it! I’m not sure what makes someone an average runner but I’m sure I’m not one either. Fun list!
    Gretchen recently posted…Gettysburg Marathon Training : Go TimeMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes April 18, 2017, 9:19 am

I see a wide range of personalities and habits in coaching runners, which I think is one of the awesome things about the sport – most runners aren’t the stereotypical runner. I run with a GPS watch, but it also serves as my everyday watch. One thing I like about living on the West Coast is there’s not “the marathon” like there is in Boston, Chicago, or New York: some people run marathons, some run ultras, some cycle, some hike, people just focus on getting outside.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Speeding UpMy Profile

• Suzy April 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Yay! I love this! I’ve been running marathons since 1998, and I only first got a Garmin 2 years ago when Andrew wanted to start running. He bought it for me to wear during his runs to document his pace and distances. Way back in the day, I’d map out a run with my odometer on my little Pontiac Firefly, and then I’d run the same routes over and over again. I don’t care about all the other things that most runners care about like nutrition, strength training, fancy singlets, no no no. I wear running clothes that are so old that they smell as soon as I start sweating. But I LOVE RUNNING. I do talk about it, I get hyped about it, for sure. I love making plans, plans to train, plans to race. I love that stuff. I get really worked up about it.
    Suzy recently posted…Week in ReviewMy Profile

• Emily April 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Ok this is so fun, and I love it because I’ve changed so much to be more like this. I used to wear a watch, but it became way too stressful for my ‘numbers obsessed’ brain. And that’s so neat to learn about you, to know that you can LOVE running, but you don’t have to talk about it all the time. I love how we’re all different in expressing our love for running. . .

And I’m not fast, so I’m definitely never going to run the Boston Marathon, or I should say, ‘rprobably not.’ Unless I did it as a walker, I don’t think I’ll ever qualify, which is totally okay with me!
    Emily recently posted…Learning to Go With the Flow and NOT Let Eating Disorder In (Podcast!)My Profile

• Marissa @ Run Riss Run April 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

I actually didn’t feel the need for a running watch until I was training for a marathon and at the time between my music and a running app, my battery wouldn’t last my entire run on my phone and that was not okay.

I use a Garmin 220 and it’s been pretty reliable and accurate. I also love that it has a great back light so I can see it when I run in the dark, which is a must!

I really like the 10k and 1/2 marathon. The 5k is a little too fast for me and the training for the marathon is daunting.

For books I love several different genres, but mostly I enjoy reading stuff that I don’t have to think about too much 😉 I teach American Lit so I do enough thinking with that. For magazines, I like food and running stuff.
    Marissa @ Run Riss Run recently posted…Spring GoalsMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 24, 2017, 10:16 am

I’m not your average runner because I don’t run. 🙂 In all seriousness, this is one of the reasons I enjoy your blog, you’re not some over the top runner who subsists on egg whites and rice cakes.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: Positives of the Plague (#80)My Profile