Catching Up After Chicago

I am dreaming of this big mug of coffee that I had in Chicago like you can’t imagine.

coffee

Oh, right. I should probably mention to those of you who didn’t already see on Instagram that I was in fact in Chicago over the weekend.

Even though there is only a one hour time difference between New York and Chicago, I felt the jet lag and still feel like I am struggling to get back to normal routine.

It was a whirlwind of a weekend (to say the least) but I managed to squeeze in my favorite foods while leaving my running shoes at home.

Yes, I do think that some trips warrant a break from running.

chicago

I had this delicious bowl of muesli at Pierrot Gourmet which was topped with apples and bananas. The muesli was made with almond milk and a vegan protein powder too. I really enjoyed it.

oatmeal

We really need to talk about pizza. Deep dish pizza.

Over the years I have come to appreciate the charm of Chicago style pizza.

As a kid, I thought that any pizza that wasn’t New York pizza wasn’t good at all but I’ve learned that my former viewpoint was just a sheltered New Yorker viewpoint.

While I will admit that I am still a sheltered New Yorker at times, I actually really like Chicago deep dish pizza. I’ve been to Chicago several times in the past but hadn’t been there in almost twenty years!

I couldn’t wait to return to Gino’s East for the pizza this trip.

Gino's East

We ordered a spinach margarita deep dish pizza and it was as good as I remembered.

gino's east pizza

I need to know how they make the crust.

gino's east pizza

But we couldn’t stop at just one pizza location while in Chicago so we also went to Pizzeria Due.

I think we liked Pizzeria Due’s deep dish even better than Gino’s East although years ago I would have said the reverse.

The tomatoes and the crust were on a whole other level in this deep dish pizza from Pizzeria Due. I can still taste it, that’s how good it was.

pizzeria due pizza

Saturday night I was in need of chocolate fudge cake which wasn’t an easy find at first.

Chicago is great but it’s no New York.

Like, at 10:30 pm in New York, life is hopping. If you want cake, you can find cake at any time within steps from wherever you are.

In Chicago, it doesn’t seem to work that way. Some restaurants were already winding down while bagel stores, diners, Bodegas and delis are basically nonexistent.

Not to worry, after trying five different places, we found chocolate cake at Grand Luxe Café. May I add in though that Grand Luxe seemed to be winding down to close for the night too.

chocolate fudge cake

I wish I had more time to spend in Chicago but honestly, I struggled crossing the city streets. It was hard for me to figure out when to walk and when not to walk.

It seems that people in Chicago actually obey the traffic laws. Even when cars weren’t coming, if it said DON’T WALK, they didn’t walk! If cars were coming and approaching stop signs, the people waited for the cars to pass.

I was the only one looking to keep walking which means I must have looked really funny. Or rude. Or like I was from New York. 🙂

Let's talk deep dish pizza! #Chicago #weekend #pizza #deepdishpizza #deepdish Click To Tweet

How are you? What have I missed?!

Do you always travel with your running shoes?

Do you like deep dish pizza? Is the pizza good where you live?

{ 18 comments… add one }
  • Lisa @ Mile by Mile March 7, 2017, 5:19 am

That pizza does look really good, and I felt the same way about NY pizza for a long time. But living away from NY really makes you appreciate any good pizza.
    I always pack my running shoes when I travel, unless I am packing really light and know that i won’t have space for them along with workout clothes.
    Glad you had a good trip!
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…Baltimore Race PlanningMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes March 7, 2017, 8:35 am

Glad you had a good trip! Chicago used to be my favorite city and I went there a lot in growing up, in college, and the years after, but now Seattle and Portland tie for my favorite US cities. What’s funny is that pizza isn’t as big out here as NYC or Chicago!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…2017 Lake Sammamish Half Marathon RecapMy Profile

• Arthi March 7, 2017, 8:59 am

Glad you had fun in Chicago! Next time you’re looking for something sweet and it’s late, head to Insomnia Cookies!

Also next time you’re here … Gotta get Lou Malnati’s!
    Arthi recently posted…Smiles from the Weekend.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 7, 2017, 9:01 am

definitely will! I didn’t pass insomnia cookies but we have it here! Lou Malnati’s great – I was there for such a short time that it was hard to fit it all in!

• Suzy March 7, 2017, 10:46 am

Oh, I’m glad you had a good trip! And that chocolate cake looks good. You’d laugh so hard at us up here with all of our polite obedience. We might look sweet on the outside, but Canadians are all passive-aggressive. Ha ha ha ha I don’t know. Just kidding <– see? We're tricky!!!
    Suzy recently posted…Week in Review: The Back End of WinterMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 7, 2017, 11:22 am

lol I would love to one day head out in your direction for some hockey games! how cool would that be?!

• Sara @ Oats & Rows March 7, 2017, 11:11 am

I’m actually drooling over your pizza pictures! I’ve had Chicago deep dish pizza once and I was hurting after, but I’d totally go through the stomach pains again it was THAT good. Charlotte has a good pizza scene, but nothing like NY!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…The Weekender 3/4My Profile

• Marissa @ Run Riss Run March 7, 2017, 2:49 pm

I pretty much always take my running shoes with me. Running in a new/different city is one of my favorite things. It’s such a great way to explore a city.

I pretty much love all pizza, but last summer I had a thin crust margarita pizza in Italy and it was definitely the best pizza I have ever had. The scenery and experience just put it over the top!
    Marissa @ Run Riss Run recently posted…MindfulnessMy Profile

• Samantha March 7, 2017, 5:54 pm

I’ve never actually had deep dish pizza, but my whole family is from New York and knows a good pizza when they get one! I really want to try some new places when I go back up to visit soon. Any recommendations?!
    Samantha recently posted…What Running Has Taught Me.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 7, 2017, 6:01 pm

Sure! What area are you looking for? The city? Queens? Long Island! I’m happy to recommend!
      The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Catching Up After ChicagoMy Profile

• Samantha March 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

It would be the Long Island area!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 9, 2017, 5:27 am

okay so I am not sure if you mean Nassau or Suffolk county but some of my favorites are Mother Kellys (Nassau), La Scala (Suffolk), Villa Monte (Nassau), Emilio’s (Suffolk), Piccolo (Nassau), La Piazza (a few locations) and Salvatore’s (Nassau). Let me know if you need more info on any of these!

• Krista @ Gringita March 7, 2017, 6:37 pm

Yum that chocolate cake looks good, torturing me! I always travel with running shoes! I don’t always run but they always come in handy for something

• Jennifer March 8, 2017, 3:10 am

You are so lucky to have time and travel around. The post is very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer recently posted…Top 5 Best air fryer reviews on the market 2016 -2017My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 16, 2017, 7:07 pm

And now I really want deep dish pizza. I think you can make it in a cast iron skillet so the crust is deep and crusty and buttery on the outside.

I’m glad you had a wonderful time, even if it isn’t New York. 🙂