What I Ate Wednesday 8.10.16

My site statistics are showing that someone googled, “I was so busy today that I forgot to eat,” somehow landing here at my blog for guidance.

I like to think that I am an understanding person and friend but not when it comes to food. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

How are you so busy that you forgot to eat? How does that happen? Explain please.

I don’t think I have ever been too busy to remember to eat. My stomach reminds me.

Anyway.

It’s What I Ate Wednesday so let’s take a look at what I ate yesterday…

Breakfast:

I made my first cup of coffee while preparing oatmeal for the rest of the week. I had a small amount of oatmeal with half of a banana before going outside to run a bunch of miles.

coffee and oatmeal

I felt like switching up my usual post-run oatmeal with autumn oatmeal even though it’s not autumn. I called this recipe autumn oatmeal last year because I made it with sautéed apples. It’s really quick and easy to throw together so don’t let the sautéed apples part scare you away.

autumn oatmeal with apples

Lunch:

The morning flew by in a flash but at some point while working I decided to prepare a batch of lentils and quinoa to have on hand for meals this week.

I added the lentils and quinoa to a big salad for lunch which also included roasted sweet potato wedges, roasted brussels sprouts, plum tomatoes and feta cheese. Slightly different salad from the Power Salad recipe I shared on Friday – I am good at making various yummy salads!

salad

Dinner:

Okay so the salad for lunch was so good that I made it again for dinner and didn’t take a picture. This is what happens more often than not – I repeat my meals not only every day but multiple times a day.

Especially with my son away, I do a limited grocery shop each week since he isn’t home and I don’t always eat at home which means the variety of foods in the house is kept to a minimum.

So long as there are the long-shelf life foods in the pantry (like beans and lentils) and I have my food staples such as sweet potatoes, apples, peanut butter, oatmeal and a couple of vegetable choices, I am set.

Dessert:

I am still on the warmed apple slices kick topped with peanut butter, a drizzle of Trader Joe’s Midnight Moo and Trader Joe’s Muesli.

apples with peanut butter

I ran a bunch of errands last night and one of those errands involved picking up a watermelon. I love cutting up watermelon mainly because I can eat it while I slice it!

watermelon

I love that it’s Wednesday already by the way. I am not trying to rush away the rest of summer but I am all about rushing the week so it can be the weekend. 🙂

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

What I ate yesterday! #WIAW #meals #oatmeal #salad #eats #fitfluential #traderjoes Click To Tweet

How often do you repeat meals in the same day?

What are your food staples that you must have in the house at all times?

2 things:

Don’t forget to check out my Quick and Easy Plant-Based Stir Recipe  for a chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card

and

If you missed my review yesterday of Mastering Your Fueling And Hydration E-Course, go read it because there’s a great discount code available!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine August 10, 2016, 5:26 am

I try to avoid repeating meals in the same day. Sometimes I will eat a salad for lunch and dinner but I at least try to make it different. There are a bunch of food staples I need to have in the house but lately I have noticed that I am always running out of almond butter. We actually get the best price at Fresh Market (and its the freshly ground kind) so I always try to pick some up when I am there.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Injury Recovery and NutritionMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 10, 2016, 5:42 am

I am having the hardest time commenting on your post today! I will keep trying. I hate technology!

• Lesq August 10, 2016, 7:25 am

My husband loves lentils and I find they always explode and break apart. How do you make them? Is it in a sauce pan cored in water for thirty minutes on med low? He would love that salad for lunch!!!!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 10, 2016, 9:28 am

So all I do is add a serving or two of the dry green lentils from trader joe’s to a small saucepan with a serving or two of quinoa and boil it with a mix of water and low sodium vegetable broth. I let it simmer a bit uncovered ( I don’t time it so I don’t really know how long) and then turn it off, cover and let it sit. I don’t even know if this is the right way to cook lentils but it always works well for me!

• Melissa August 10, 2016, 8:01 am

I don’t typically repeat meals unless it is out of a necessity. For example, sometimes I have a quick and easy breakfast, and may have the same thing for lunch. I do repeat neals one day after another. That watermelon looks great! Believe it or not, I’ve never bought a whole watermelon and cut it!
    Melissa recently posted…WIAW: An Actual Productive Day with BabyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 10, 2016, 9:27 am

it’ really very easy to cut a whole one and much cheaper than buying the pre-cut!

• michele @ paleorunningmomma August 10, 2016, 8:17 am

It’s rare that I repeat a meal in a day, unless I made a recipe and have leftovers for a snack, but I think if I was alone that would happen a whole lot more. That said, I definitely eat the same foods with minimal changes pretty often! Food staples are eggs, sweet potatoes, plantains, ground beef, and strawberries.
    michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW Changing Appetites and Banana Bread HeavenMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 10, 2016, 9:26 am

I realized I haven’t had a Japanese sweet potato in a while, your post today reminded me. I have to get over to shop rite or whole foods.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes August 10, 2016, 8:37 am

I don’t understand it either when people say they are too busy to eat or drink water. They have to know those things are important for basic human function, right?
    I try to avoid eating the same meal each day for nutritional variety, but I definitely repeat meals from day to day.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Training Low: The Why & How of Low Carb Long RunsMy Profile

• Emily August 10, 2016, 9:00 am

I love to repeat anything with yogurt in it on a day. :o) And that’s hilarious that that search term brought someone to your blog. I usually don’t forget to eat either. Some days I do and that surprises me.

Autumn oats do sound really good… I’m not trying to rush through summer either, but pumpkin has been sounding really good lately.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Why I Can’t Follow Everyone on Social MediaMy Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood August 10, 2016, 9:12 am

yum, I love the idea of sauteed apples on oatmeals!
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Greedy ToddlerMy Profile

• Arthi August 10, 2016, 9:41 am

No shame in repeating meals! Make life as easy as possible!

Two things I always have in the house – Crunchy peanut butter & Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt
    Arthi recently posted…East Coast Adventure – Part 1.My Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 10, 2016, 10:20 am

I literally don’t think I’ve ever “forgotten” to eat. There are days I’m so busy I’m just not hungry- but not on weekdays. On weekends I’m more likely to miss lunch or something and end up starving around 4pm. That used to happen when I worked at the running store, but these days I’m extremely consistent with meal times. If my stomach could handle 2 giant salads a day, I’d totally repeat my meals too!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Family, Friends, and Free FitnessMy Profile

• Suzy August 10, 2016, 10:27 am

When it’s just Andrew and I with Callum we usually just go out to eat because I don’t have groceries in the house! Then I’ll stock up just before the other kids get here. If we don’t go out to eat then we’re eating leftovers multiple times a day!
    Suzy recently posted…It Was Never a DressMy Profile

• Patricia @Sweet and Strong August 10, 2016, 11:34 am

I don’t think I’ve ever been busy enough I forget to eat! I think about food constantly! And your salad looks so good I would have eaten that twice in a day too. Our food staples are eggs, nut butter, veggies, apples, strawberries, almond milk, quinoa, and sweet potatoes to name a few.
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Spicy Jalapeno MargaritasMy Profile

• Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday August 10, 2016, 9:23 pm

I’ve NEVER understood “I forgot to eat” people. I’m absolutely surrounded by them at college. It’ll be dinner time, so I’ve had at least two meals and two snacks, and my friends will be like, “I haven’t eaten anything since a banana at breakfast.” HOW are you still standing?! I would be so hangry.
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Just Do It (I Ran the BTN Big10K)My Profile

• Liz @ I heart vegetables August 11, 2016, 11:11 am

omg I’ve never ever once in my LIFE forgotten to eat. NEVER. Even if I’m slammed at work and running from meeting to meeting, I’ll do whatever it takes to eat, hahaha. Maybe that’s why I have a jar of peanut butter in my desk drawer for emergencies! 😉

You are SO good at switching up your salads! I’m impressed!
    Liz @ I heart vegetables recently posted…What I Ate MondayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2016, 1:05 pm

I can switch up salad ingredients but most of the time, I am a creature of habit and repeat my meals for sure

• Chloe August 12, 2016, 1:22 am

Yes – I’m a repeat-meal offender 😛 I could live off oats and often find myself having multiple bowls a day. I am also okay with having the same foods everyday. Boring? To some may be but it’s delicious and easy!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 12, 2016, 3:32 pm

I have been so busy I haven’t had time to eat, but I never forgot. I just looked at the clock and whatever project had to be done and sighed as my lunch hour passed me by.

I eat a lot of the same things in different variations. I love to repurpose leftovers too. Like I’ll take last night’s veggie stir fry and put it on a pizza and then cover it with cheese. Winning!
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…GratitudeMy Profile