Run By Time Tempo Workout

As you know, MapMyRun started getting all finicky on me lately and stopped calculating my mileage anything close to accurately.

I dealt with it for a few days before making the switch over to Runkeeper by running a bunch of my workouts based on time rather than the usual method of tracking distance.

Quick side note: I am often asked why I don’t use a Garmin watch instead of the running apps. The most simple answer is, I personally don’t feel that I want to invest in a watch when the apps usually work well enough for what I need.

Contrary to everything else in my life and as shocking as it sounds, I really prefer to spend as little as possible on my running gear. Of course I need proper running shoes and apparel that is durable and comfortable but other than that, I go bare minimum on what I spend to run. I much prefer to use my money on the clothing and accessories I need for the other 23 hours of my day.

Maybe one day this will change and I will look into getting a watch but for now, free apps are still where it’s at for me.

I really enjoyed running by time and effort for a change which led to me creating this new run by feel tempo workout in the process!

Why I like running by time:

It’s mentally something different.

Even if you are running your same routine route, tracking it differently will feel rejuvenating. You technically aren’t doing something that new but it will feel new which helps to avoid burn out.

Learn what your perceived efforts feel like.

Running by feel (perceived effort) over tracking a pace helps you to intuitively understand how your body feels at various effort levels.

Laura wrote a terrific post last week about running by feel over tracking your pace. She explains things so well and in clear detail that I encourage you to read her post to gain a better understand of the benefits of why you may want to run more often by feel. It can actually help to train you to run faster!

I think this is the first running workout I have shared that goes by time over distance. However, just like the rest of my workouts, this workout is easily adaptable to any runner’s level.

Run By Time Tempo Workout!

If you need to shorten the time frames, go ahead.

When it comes time to push it, it’s up to you how fast you want that to be. Maybe you want to work on a half marathon effort, a 10k effort or maybe it’s really hot outside and you just want to try to run a little faster than an easy pace.

I think this workout will make for a great treadmill workout, right?

If you normally run by pace and distance, please give this run by time workout a try. I would love to know how it works for you and how you feel mentally and physically from making the workout switch!

Workouts of Interest:

Easy Run on the Treadmill Workout

Tempo Interval Workout

Negative Split Workout

new running workout! run by time tempo workout #running #run #workouts #fitfluential… Click To Tweet

How often do you run based on time and effort?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

What do you like to spend your money on the most?

{ 13 comments… add one }
  • michele @paleorunningmomma July 26, 2016, 7:10 am

I just put tempo runs back in my routine a couple of weeks ago but I typically go by mileage. I will definitely do this though to mix it up since tempo runs get boring fast! Always love your approach to workouts because I am not creative!
    michele @paleorunningmomma recently posted…Salted Caramel Mocha Fudge {Paleo & Vegan}My Profile

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com July 26, 2016, 8:21 am

I love the idea of this! Laura had me do a lot of running by perceived effort and/or time when I trained with her, and it took time to get used to because I’m always fixated on pace or distance, but I really liked it. It took the pressure off. And I loooooove spending money on workout clothes, especially Pure Barre–they’re so freaking cute! I had a 6:00 am class this morning and loved every minute!
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…South Beach Fun!My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes July 26, 2016, 8:31 am

Fun workout! And thank you for linking up to my post. I am a bit of a sucker for running and hiking gear including a good GPS watch- even though I’m happy with the model I’ve had for two years I like looking at all the cool new ones.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Weekly Mileage During Marathon TrainingMy Profile

• Suzy July 26, 2016, 9:29 am

This looks like a good one! I need change ups when I’m on the TM otherwise I get so bored, and this one isn’t too complicated.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl July 26, 2016, 9:57 am

I like running by time when I have a set (usually shorter) amount of time to workout, to mix things up and squeeze in a run!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 7/18-7/24My Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner July 26, 2016, 10:20 am

When I was in college my coach never gave us distances to run. He’d say “Run for 60 minutes. Run for 80 minutes. Run for 40 minutes.” But never “Run 6 miles.” I really liked it because it took all the pressure off. You could run 5 miles in that time or 8 miles. It didn’t matter- it was all about how you felt that day. I don’t run with my phone so I like having a Garmin, but until I got the vivoactive as an all-around activity tracker and running watch, I literally never wore a watch. Ever. I’d rather just go out and enjoy myself without worrying about pace or time.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Racing, Car Troubles, and SailingMy Profile

• Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales July 26, 2016, 11:24 am

I like running by time on the trails – mainly because the effort and terrain can be so different from route to route and it is harder than the road generally! This morning, I worked out at the gym (strength and conditioning) and tonight hill repeats with my marathon clinic. Our workout is also going to be by time! A pyramid workout for 45 minutes, yikes! But it’s nice doing it by time, since everyone is of varying abilities and paces.
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 6My Profile

• Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday July 26, 2016, 1:19 pm

MapMyRun has never been excellent for me, though it’s behaving pretty well right now. I was running without it for a while, which was nice to get back into the swing of things after a little too long off. Right now, I think I perform much better and push myself harder when I can see my pace. So when I’m due for an easier run, I usually just forget the app and go by feel.
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five Friday Favorites 07/22/16My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 26, 2016, 4:21 pm

My dad used to run for distance although these days he does it all by time. He makes sure to do 30 minutes every day, and I do mean every day. In fact, I think his streak has surpassed 25 years now. Amazing right?! I think he must be superhuman.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: #41My Profile

• Krista @ Gringita July 26, 2016, 11:01 pm

When I was marathon training my coach had me run by time! It was good for me because I get obsessed with numbers, but I still would keep going a few minutes longer to hit an even number of mileage !
    I guess I’m technically running for time now that I’m in Peru. My gym has a 20-min limit on the treadmills so I just do 20 mins a few times a week.

• jade July 27, 2016, 2:43 pm

I run almost exclusively by time and perceived effort. I run ultra’s, and training this way takes all of the pressure off of running at a certain speed. Excellent post and tempo workout, thanks 🙂

• Natalie @ Muffins and Miles July 28, 2016, 5:39 pm

I love running by time instead of mileage! It helps me mentally because I’m not as stressed about getting all my miles in in a certain time. It feels more relaxing that way!