weekend stuff and the best pancakes ever

Need a new light pink nail polish color combo for your nails? Try one coat of Essie’s Petal Pink with one coat Hi Maintenance, it’s a good one!

essie nail polish

When you find yourself taking pictures of cauliflower displays because you find them to be pretty, you know you are either a vegetarian or healthy living blogger. Or both.

cauliflower

But seriously, these cauliflowers were beautiful at Stew Leonard’s and not wrapped up in plastic! I bought one giant head of cauliflower and plan to use it in a new recipe or two since I am all inspired again thanks to our recipe challenge.

When your friend/next door neighbor/partner in divorced mom life texts you to come over ASAP because an Edible Arrangment arrived at her house, you stop what you are doing and run through her front door.

Edible Arrangement

Dinner Saturday night was up to my son since it was his last evening before leaving for camp on Sunday. After careful consideration, family fun night occurred at Vincent’s Clam Bar. We really like it there (last recap from Vincent’s here) so it was a great choice.

The last several times we have eaten at Vincent’s, I have ordered the Zucchini Primavera (that’s what I call it but not sure if that’s the name on the menu).

zucchini primavera

Yesterday morning we went for breakfast to our favorite Premier Diner. We normally reserve our favorite special breakfast at the Premier Diner for Mother’s Day but I think my baby leaving for sleep away camp counts as a super special occasion worthy of breaking typical tradition.

I didn’t want the baked oatmeal so I went with my alternate favorite which I think took over the top spot for me as the best diner breakfast.

Blueberry walnut whole wheat pancakes topped with bananas and egg whites <- the best!

The Premier Diner has an extensive pancakes list on their breakfast menu and these pancakes are made for me. I think I need to take my long run in this direction or drive here after my next race because these blueberry walnut pancakes with the bananas and the egg whites are perfect as a post run meal.

premiere diner pancakes

Other great times at the Premier Diner:

Lunch with Michele

Giant Greek Salad

Mother’s Day 2013 & 2014

So my baby left for camp.

He may be taller than me and he may have walked on to that coach bus like no big deal but he’s still my baby so this is big deal! I am so super proud of him and so happy that he will have the time of his life these next few weeks.

Summer has always meant camp for me and until now, summer has meant camp for my son too, just not sleep away camp. But he decided last summer that sleep away camp was something he wanted to try so I agreed.

I am grateful I could give him this experience and equally grateful that I have a serious stash of Hello Kitty stationary just waiting to be used.

I mean, it’s only been sitting in a drawer for like 30 years so I think it’s time I stopped saving it and use it to write to my son every day.

hello kitty stationary

Do you think it will embarrass him to receive letters on my Hello Kitty stationary? Maybe I will leave off the stickers that seal the envelope. 🙂

I can technically run whenever I want this morning since my mom duties won’t be needed but I have a feeling I will stay on usual schedule. We are in the middle of a heat wave so running later is not the best idea! My car read 108 degrees over the weekend. I know it wasn’t actually that hot but trust me, it’s hot out there!

weekend stuff and the best pancakes ever #diner #pancakes #weekend #camp #hellokitty Click To Tweet

Anyone else collect stationary as a kid?

Best thing you ate over the weekend?

Favorite type of pancakes or other favorite breakfast when you dine out?

• michele @paleorunningmomma July 25, 2016, 7:04 am

Yours left for camp and now I’m home with all 3 of mine for the next couple of weeks! Let’s hope I can entertain them somewhat in 95 degree heat. So cool that they have zucchini primavera, I’m definitely more into zucchini pasta now than ever.
    michele @paleorunningmomma recently posted…Cherry Berry Fizzy All-Fruit SlushiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 25, 2016, 8:33 am

I am finding that most Italian restaurants right now are offering the zucchini noodles or even spaghetti squash on the menus which is a really nice thing. Ugh, good luck these next few weeks. At least they can entertain each other.

• Lesq July 25, 2016, 7:21 am

Okay, now we are heading out from the city to the Premier Diner. Most diners stink. This one looks awesome–those pancakes, the Greek salad, the omelette all look so well prepared and certainly not lacking ingredients. Most diners are a sad replication of something that can be better made at home–soggy, mushy, generic. Sooooo Premier Diner here we come First it was camp, then it was summer in China and Hong Kong then summer in Spain. My children traveled all over, but times are so different with the state of the world. We got back from Europe and even though Europeans are business as usual, travelers are a little anxious. Don’t know what our future of t he world will be regarding travel. It certainly can be life changing if you are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. So sending your handsome guy off to summer camp was a loving gift you gave him. My husband felt summer independence was so important as they got older. He said roots and wings and you will always be BFF and boy was he ever right!! Your an awesome mom Meredith!!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 25, 2016, 8:32 am

definitely go to premier! it’s right off exit 52 of the LIE. In fact it’s listed in newsday today as a top 12 diner on the island for pancakes…Agreed about the state of the world right now. When I was my son’s age, I was doing the camp teen travel programs but the world was a different place. I felt much better about sending him to sleep away camp over the travel programs right now!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes July 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Those pancakes look so good! I usually go for savory over sweet at breakfast restaurants and get something with eggs, potatoes, and lots of vegetables.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Seattle SummerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 25, 2016, 8:31 am

I don’t think in the history of ever have I ever ordered a savory diner breakfast. funny, right?

• Suzy July 25, 2016, 9:32 am

OH BOY!!! I can’t even IMAGINE being childless for that long! Whenever I get time to myself I start panicking, because there are so many things I’ve always wanted to do or get done on my own but then I get so overwhelmed that I end up doing something lame or just spinning around in circles. Awe, I’m sure you’re going to miss him so much though. Definitely send him some letters on the Hello Kitty stationary!!! HA HA!!!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 25, 2016, 10:52 am

ha, I hear you! I have had a long list of things I will do now but I bet I don’t even get to half of them lol

• Sarah @pickyrunner July 25, 2016, 10:29 am

THOSE PANCAKES! Drooling. I’m sure it’s hard saying goodbye to him for awhile. He’s your sidekick in life! But it will also be nice to operate under your own schedule for a bit and have a little more time in your life, I’m sure. He’ll probably secretly like the hello kitty stationary because it’s so you, even though he’ll pretend he’s embarrassed by it haha
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Workouts 7/18-7/24My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 25, 2016, 10:51 am

he’s totally my side kick but from the photos so far that the camp is sharing in the albums, it looks like he is having fun! And yes, the stationary is so totally me 🙂

• Meah July 25, 2016, 11:10 am

I feel like the same thing as taking pictures of cauliflower displays goes for taking pictures of avocados, ha! That’s so cool that they served zoodles at that restaurant, I’ve never seen them offered anywhere. They looked really delicious! And oh my gosh, those pancakes. Now I’m hard core craving a stack! Last week, I was on a mission trip in Brooklyn, and on our way home, we stopped in Little Italy. I had the most amazing and fresh pasta dish there, definitely savored every bite!

xxMeah
    Meah recently posted…#1 SUMMER TREND: Halter Tops And How to Wear ThemMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 25, 2016, 12:02 pm

I have a ridiculous collection of stationary, but I have no idea where it is 😆 I remember I didn’t ever want to use it because it was way too pretty, but I guess that kind of defeats the purpose eh? And helloooooooo pancakes the size of my head!! <3
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…dairy-free cookies & cream milkshakeMy Profile

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl July 25, 2016, 1:59 pm

LOVE diner breakfasts and the Premier looks like a place I would go to – we have a similar one about 20 minutes from where my parents live called the Eveready that’s our go to spot.

He will have so much fun, I went to sleepaway camp starting in 4th grade and it’s such a good experience. It also today means (usually) being unplugged which is great for kids who seem to now have cell phones at like 8 years old?
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 7/18-7/24My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2016, 6:01 am

yes! I love that the kids are unplugged for sure! I am excited to get letters from him, it feels so old school. and great.

• Arthi July 25, 2016, 3:30 pm

Mm those pancakes look great! My favorite pancakes are plain! I know … Boring. But I love a pancake at it’s purest form.

Best thing I ate over the weekend … A chocolate peanut butter cupcake from my favorite bakery in Chicago 🙂
    Arthi recently posted…Weekend Things.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2016, 6:00 am

ohh that cupcake sounds delish. I miss have crumbs cupcakes, the location near me closed!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine July 25, 2016, 4:32 pm

We made pancakes this morning because it was raining, so it was a great way to start the day. (And then luckily it completely cleared up). Thats something I don’t usually make for myself and home and never order when Im out for breakfast. But those look delicious! I definitely prefer to stick to my normal workout schedule even when I have the flexibility to change it up.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Week of Some Running and Lots of PTMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 26, 2016, 4:17 pm

I can’t believe this is his first sleepaway camp. Awww it must be bittersweet, although I’m sure you’re excited for him to make memories the same way you did.

Those pancakes look amazing. I love the addition of walnuts.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week in Review: #41My Profile

• GiGi Eats July 27, 2016, 12:42 am

I am really NOT a breakfast person… He… He… Yeah, I know – but if I were to eat pancakes, sweet potato pancakes or pumpkin pancakes, FOR THE WIN!!! That being said, I haven’t had THE REAL DEAL in a super duper long time so I don’t even remember what those taste like!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…This ICE Is NutsMy Profile