8 Mile Workout – increase speed, ability & endurance

I love when I come up with a new running workout not only for myself but for you too! With half marathon training behind me, I am back to figuring out the structure of my runs all by myself without Laura‘s training plan telling me what to do each day.

I certainly miss training with Laura but I still talk to her every day and I am pretty good at developing fun and engaging ways to get my miles in so it’s really all going to be okay.

I came up with this new 8 mile workout a couple of weeks ago and totally loved it enough to come home and make us an infographic. It was challenging yet engaging and those are two components I look for when I create these running workouts.

I can’t just run aimlessly every day. While I do take things easy during my easy runs, my mind always likes a focus and my miles need some sort of purpose. Structuring my workouts by adding purpose to my miles without getting overly technical about it has helped me to increase my speed and ability while teaching my body (and mind!) endurance.

Let’s take a look at the workout and then we can quickly chat about it, okay?

New 8 Mile Workout which is engaging and challenging in a good way! Work on your tempo paces and customize it to fit your current training plans

This is what I mean when I say not overly technical. There are no specific paces or technical runner terms listed. I like to create workouts that work for anyone at any level. And, I like to create workouts that work any day of the week. This means that anyone can run these workouts by running at your fast pace, whatever that pace feels like for that specific day or that day’s training purpose.

Maybe you want to work on your 5k pace, maybe you want to work on your 10k, half marathon or marathon pace. Or, maybe you just want to push yourself to go faster but not focus so much on hitting any specific pace. That’s what this workout can do for you!

Here’s what my run looked like after completing this workout:

splits

I will admit that this workout is definitely challenging, in a good way though! That one mile recovery between intervals feels nice and all but picking up the pace again is where it gets you! In a good way, I swear it. And that last push of half a mile easy and then half a mile fast? Yeah. No need to thank me. 🙂

If we want to dive into the technical, this workout can be viewed as a tempo interval run. I asked Laura to help us understand why workouts like this are beneficial for us runners. Here’s what she said:

Tempo runs can be continuous or in intervals which allow you to cover more miles at a tempo pace without overstressing the body. Even though it’s tempting sometimes to run faster, run at your tempo pace or just slightly faster in order to pace yourself fairly evenly throughout the intervals.

Long intervals are important for distance runners because they teach you to sustain a harder pace over a long period of time. It’s the rule of specificity which means that your training should match the specific demands of your goal. If you are training for an endurance event, you should focus on building endurance.

For more information on tempo runs, check out this post from Laura which goes into more depth on what tempo runs are, why we should run them along with some tempo workout options too.

Please let me know if you give this tempo interval workout a try and of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!!

If you like the looks of this workout, you may like one of these too:

Negative Split Workout

Easy Run on the Treadmill Workout

13 Mile Long Run Workout

give this new tempo interval workout a try! #running #temporun #workout #fitness #fitfluential… Click To Tweet

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

Do you have any specific running topics you would like to see covered?

Are you good at creating your own workouts each day or do you need to follow a training plan?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 24, 2016, 5:02 am

I love workouts like this that are based off of effort! This looks challenging but fun. I will definitely be giving this a try at some point!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Wedding Weekend #1 and Weekly RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 24, 2016, 5:16 am

please let me know if you do try it! I really think you will like it – the last little interval is tough!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 24, 2016, 6:28 am

Your workouts are the only ones I do! Of course maybe first I have to run 8 miles again before attempting an 8 mile workout!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Sweet Potato Apple & Kale Hash with Caramelized Onions {Whole30}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 24, 2016, 8:31 am

ha! when you are in the mood, you will get back to longer distances. you can always shorten this one a bit too 🙂

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 24, 2016, 6:36 am

Love me some tempo runs! But right now, I am just trying to run a bit aimlessly and NOT push it 😀
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Never Give Up (Let’s Try This Again)My Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 24, 2016, 7:49 am

I need to get back into the training game! I’ve been so busy lately that running has taken a back seat, so today I’m getting my butt back in gear and going out there 🙂 Thanks for the workout inspiration!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Belize Part 2 : The CavesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 24, 2016, 8:03 am

like hello, you have an excellent excuse — you just got married! at a destination wedding! plenty of time to get the butt back in gear 🙂

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes May 24, 2016, 8:22 am

I love this workout and thanks for referencing me in the post! I can’t wait to try it once I am a safely running again.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…A Runner’s Guide to the EllipticalMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 24, 2016, 8:30 am

I am so glad you can start easing your way back into running! take it easy and when you are ready, give this run a try 🙂

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 24, 2016, 9:29 am

I love a little bit of variation in my workouts. Keeps me from getting bored, and keeps the body guessing. I’m not really sure what’s on the agenda for today, but I think the rai cleared up enough to get a nice rice in, so hopefully I can do that after being cooped up for a couple of days!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…dark chocolate raspberry breakfast bakeMy Profile

• Suzy May 24, 2016, 9:49 am

Laura is a smart cookie! I’m not sure what I’ll be doing today for my run. I tried a tempo run yesterday but my legs just wouldn’t have it. I have a pap test today, so I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get out for my run. If I hurry up and finish my coffee, maybe I can get a short one out this morning!
    Suzy recently posted…Week in ReviewMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl May 24, 2016, 9:53 am

I’m looking forward to working with Laura since I am not good at making up workouts, even though in regular life I plan to the hour, this kind of thing is my “go where the wind blows me” and for the Marathon that won’t fly!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Weekly Workouts and Updates 5/16-5/23My Profile

• Lauren May 24, 2016, 10:58 am

Nice workout. I sometimes do faster miles or back and forth but like having 2 faster miles in a row too.
    Lauren recently posted…Summer Running Gear Essentials {Miles & Pace hat giveaway}My Profile

• Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 24, 2016, 11:46 am

This looks like a great one! I’m FINALLY able to run a little again. Naturally, I did 6 miles on my first run yesterday. Ha! Can’t wait to build up and get some speed back!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Bite-Sized Peach Caprese SaladMy Profile

• Lish May 24, 2016, 3:10 pm

This is a good looking tempo- I love to mix up runs so things don’t get monotonous when I’m not training for a race.
    Lish recently posted…16 miles and good eats!My Profile

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat May 24, 2016, 4:01 pm

This is my kind of workout! I love a good tempo – I am really not a fan of repeats and do better with this type of workout. I will definitely give it a try, thanks for sharing.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Running Recovery WeeksMy Profile

• Caroline M May 24, 2016, 9:33 pm

Love this! I’m definitely going to try it out. I like to have some structure/plan with my runs, but not overly technical plans because that confuses me and stresses me out. Running is supposed to be my stress reliever, not a stressor! This looks fun, but challenging. Can’t wait to give this a go.
    Caroline M recently posted…WIAW #2: Back Home EatsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 25, 2016, 5:06 am

I don’t like to get confused by the technical either! please let me know if you try this workout and what you think!