Easy Run on the Treadmill Workout Plan

I spent so much time running on the treadmill this winter and now find myself back running indoors more often again even though they tell me it’s Spring. It doesn’t look like Spring outside my window this morning considering there is SNOW all over the place although who can really see anything since the sun has yet to rise today.

Anyway, before I go further into my daylight savings and weather-related negative ranting, I really don’t mind the treadmill that much and I do find benefits to running indoors, as you know.

However, I sometimes struggle with easy runs on the treadmill.

Easy runs, also known sometimes as recovery runs, really should be run at what feels like a relatively easy, comfortable and relaxed pace that your body feels comfortable with at that moment – I say at that moment because what you and your body consider easy can change from day-to-day.

My problem with easy runs on the treadmill though is that my pace isn’t determined by my body because I have to set the speed rather than let things happen naturally as they do outdoors.

I also get crazy antsy if I go too slow on the treadmill or if I don’t play with the buttons throughout my run because playing with the speed button and changing things up keeps me better engaged, making the run time fly by.

Recently I came up with this easy run speed strategy for myself which keeps my pace both in an easy range and in check while keeping my fingers and mind engaged with the buttons.

Take a look at the workout and then I will explain it a bit more in detail.

easy run treadmill workout

I can’t determine your easy pace range for you but I can give you the pace range I use for this workout most often. While it can change from day-to-day based upon how I am feeling, usually my most comfortable easy pace range on the treadmill is between 6.3 – 6.8. So long as I stay within that range, I am guaranteed an easy run that also keeps me from going too slow for my patience level.

I force myself to stay at the slowest end of that pace range (6.3) for half a mile. Once I reach the half mile mark, I bump up the speed every tenth of a mile to keep myself engaged. Once I reach the mile mark, I drop the speed back down to 6.3 and repeat the pattern.

Putting this all together, my easy run on the treadmill looks like this:

0.0 – 0.50 -> 6.3

0.50 – 0.60 -> 6.4

0.60 -0.70 -> 6.5

0.70 – 0.80 -> 6.6

0.80 – 0.90 -> 6.7

0.90 – 1.0 -> 6.8

Once I reach the mile mark, I drop my speed and repeat the pattern.

Please let me know if you try this easy run workout and/or if you have any questions!

Other Treadmill Posts of Interest:

5 Benefits of Treadmill Running For Outdoor Runners

Pros & Cons of Running on the Treadmill

Treadmill  Interval Workout < – love this one!

Easy Run on the Treadmill Workout #treadmill #running #workouts #fitfluential Click To Tweet

How was your weekend?! Anything about it worth sharing?

How often do you run on the treadmill right now?

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 21, 2016, 5:40 am

Hope the snow’s gone ASAP! About to go run in it, not thrilled. I hate the treadmill even more though and admire how well you can run on it! I’d rearrange my schedule just to avoid.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Boston Marathon Training Week 8, Birthday Pictures, Ultimate CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 22, 2016, 2:03 pm

i am hoping to not need the treadmill much again until next winter! but, i am glad to have it always as an option.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine March 21, 2016, 6:51 am

We have a little snow on cars and on the grass this morning, but when I was out running I didnt even see it because it was so dark! I usually don’t have a problem running slow on the treadmill, but when I am feeling good I play with the pace alot and do end up going faster than I planned. Looks like a great workout!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Cut-Back Week and Where Did Spring Go?My Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe March 21, 2016, 7:03 am

We actually had a gorgeous weekend. It was a bit nippy at times, but overall, I was REALLY happy with the weather!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Brunching, Walking, and Setting Up for a Busy Week!My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes March 21, 2016, 8:21 am

I have a hard time going slow on the treadmill – I get antsy too. This looks like a great workout and I’m going to try it next time I’m a stuck inside.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers: Return to RoutineMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns March 21, 2016, 9:19 am

I hardly ever run on the treadmill! I think that all winter I ran on it like twice which is pretty good for me. Ever since I got my yak trax I’m not afraid to run outside at all. They seriously are life changing!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon + GIVEAWAY!My Profile

• Ellie March 21, 2016, 9:31 am

Was the weather really terrible this weekend near you? It was cold here but not snowing so that’s positive. It seems like when the calendar says Spring, the weather goes…nah we’ll give you some freezing weather. I even had to buy more hot hands! Not fun considering I thought I would eek out and not have to use them anymore 🙁 oh well, it only gets warmer from here.
    Ellie recently posted…Week In Review: The Return Of The MangoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 21, 2016, 10:31 am

the weekend weather was ok – it snowed last night into this morning , just a few inches and hopefully the last of the season!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl March 21, 2016, 10:53 am

I went this entire winter with no treadmill runs, just an above average tolerance for crazy cold (or maybe just crazy me!) and well planned rest days. This weekend I PR’ed by four minutes at the NYC Half!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Third Time’s the Charm at the NYC Half MarathonMy Profile

• Shannon March 21, 2016, 1:13 pm

I am not a treadmill runner because I lose focus very quickly, but I am just starting to run outside!
    Shannon recently posted…10 Healthier Easter CandiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 22, 2016, 2:00 pm

that’s great! and maybe one day after running well outside you can adjust to the treadmill. you don’t have to, only if you ever needed it and not everyone does!

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat March 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

I am with you – playing with the speed just a little bit helps make it go by faster. I’ve been monitoring my heart rate and on easy treadmill runs it is in the low 120’s. I definitely could have run outside today but went to the gym to zone out for 6 miles to Netflix. I enjoy treadmill time!
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Spring Fling 10K RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 22, 2016, 1:59 pm

there are those benefits to the treadmill for sure, tv watching is one of them

• Alicia March 21, 2016, 8:10 pm

Lately because of the weather I’ve been forced to run on the treadmill more than I would like.
    Today was a treadmill and easy run day for me-so I decided to try the workout you posted. it was great-kept me from getting too bored because I had something to pay attention to and fufilled my need to push buttons on the treadmill!

• Caroline M March 21, 2016, 10:50 pm

Great treadmill workout! I find it much easier to do speed on the treadmills than easier runs but this might actually get me commit to those easier ones. Can’t wait to try! (hopefully not til next year since the weather down in Va has actually been pleasant!!!)
    My weekend was great and I got the job I interviewed for so I’m very excited! 🙂
    Caroline M recently posted…5 Small Things to Make Your Day a Little BrighterMy Profile