Thinking Out Loud 12.17.15

I apologize on behalf of technology if you had any issues logging into my site yesterday morning. Things were only down for about an hour or so but you better believe I was struggling to remain calm for those 60 minutes. Have I mentioned I hate computers and tech type things? I don’t speak their language nor do I want to learn it.

thinking out loud

While getting a manicure the other day, I told the manicurist I had been baking chocolate chip cookies right before my appointment as my way of explaining the chocolate under my nails. Only I was sort of totally lying because I didn’t bake cookies and it wasn’t chocolate under my nails, it was remnants of frozen blueberries.

Chocolate is better understood and accepted over saying Hi, I have frozen blueberries all over my hands because I grab them by handfuls from the freezer to use in my oatmeal and smoothies. Frozen blueberries stain my hands and everything that I touch in my kitchen (you should see the refrigerator door and microwave) and there’s some under my nails too because I am a mess.

The weather over here in New York has been gorgeous. Like, I don’t need a coat and can go in and out of the house or the car without getting a chill. I can run in a tank top. My son has been wearing shorts to school. It’s the middle of the December. This must be what it is like to live in Florida.

I had lunch at Panera yesterday while working which rarely happens but I had a gift card so it was a nice treat. In theory that is. I don’t really love any of the salads at Panera anymore since they did away with the power hummus bowl.

Panera Bread salad

Was anyone going to tell me that lululemon changed their signature red and white bags to this?!

lululemon bag

Instead of a text this week from my son, I thought you might appreciate the hand written grocery list he left for me.

grocery list

Texts are easier to read, I know. I like to think his hand writing is a sign of a future doctor.

Please note the following references which I take as a personal attack:

He purposely tells me I shouldn’t get the cream cheese from Trader Joe’s. Not because he doesn’t like how it tastes but because he feels anything from Trader Joe’s right now is terrible and wrong and should be banned from our house for life. He has no real reason to offer us other than his mother shops there which must mean it’s healthy and healthy is not acceptable at the moment.

What’s with the Bisquick request? Is he trying to now say he didn’t love last week’s peanut butter chocolate chip pancakes that I made from scratch? He cleaned his plate and told me they were great. I don’t understand.

Real honey? Was I buying fake honey?

Actually good mac and cheese? Kraft? Is he for real? Does he not follow Food Babe and her quest to ban the bad ingredients in the blue box?

Real ground beef? It’s not like I am giving him meatless crumbles (I stopped attempting that one last year). I make him steak quite often and only sometimes try to use ground turkey in some recipes. Whatever. I honored this real ground beef request to make Monday night’s burrito bowl. He actually liked it and asked that I make it again.

I bought the requested Tostitos. The baked version though, knowing he would freak that they were the baked version 😉

One day he will appreciate me. I just know he will.

When Your Child Makes The Grocery List #thinkingoutloud #manicure #groceries @runwithspoons #lululemon Click To Tweet

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

Do you go to Panera? What do you usually order?

What was for dinner last night?

Do your kids make a grocery list for you?

1. says

Ha! I love that he is so specific in his list. I don’t eat at Panera very much any more but I do like the fuji apple chicken salad. There is also a harvest salad in the fall that i like.
    Its crazy that chocolate is more acceptable than blueberries in the way you explained but you are definitely right:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Week Before Christmas ThoughtsMy Profile

2. says

Love that he specified the brands 😉 Honestly though if and when my kids are old enough to know about Kraft, they will also probably be old enough to cook all their meals for themselves! At least that’s what I would have them do. When Adam and his brother were kids, there were 3 weeks they ate literally nothing but peanut butter sandwiches because they were put in charge of all their own meals. Just a thought lol 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Stop Emailing Me, Zero Motivation, and Marshmallow AnxietyMy Profile

• says

And I think this is a brilliant approach! I may try it very soon with him. Genius. Thank you! Also, my comments are still going to spam on certain sites so if you notice I don’t comment, let me know, because I probably did. Ugh, I hate technology.

3. says

I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop with our weather at this point!

I remember my young (pre-Celiac) days when I would beg the nanny to buy white bread instead of whole wheat or to give us Lunchables. She was determined to make us healthy eaters after her own childhood of growing up overweight and eating poorly. In the end her heart was in the right place!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Blogger Secret SantaMy Profile

4. says

Hah! Love the list!

Dinner last night was mexican food and margaritas with my mom! We hit up our favorite little place in Chicago and it was wonderful per usual!

Are those really the Lululemon bags??! When in the world did that happen?!
    Arthi recently posted…What are you SO excited about?My Profile

• says

I remember when Panera first opened here years ago, it was all about the interesting bagel flavors. But they are so small compared to NY bagels! We don’t really get them anymore. But I used to like the chocolate chip and cinnamon crunch one.

5. says

HA your son’s grocery list looks like the foods my brother comes home with when he takes my mom’s credit card to the store to pick up some things… such a character. I do like Kraft (or Annie’s) mac and cheese but there’s nothing better than the homemade stuff.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Holiday Parties x3My Profile

6. says

He’ll definitely appreciate you one day. I went through a phase where I hated all my mom’s food as well and wouldn’t touch anything remotely healthy just out of principle, but now I’m totally eating my words and probably eat healthier than even she does 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…thinking out loud #161My Profile

7. AmandaM says

I detest Panera and can’t for the life of me understand why it’s so popular. I tried it so many times trying different items and trying to figure out what people were liking about it. I can say that I have never finished a meal there saying “that was good”. Sorry for the negative rant 🙂 Panera is one of my pet peeves so you hit a nerve- ha!

To end on a positive note – your son’s list had me laughing. And your follow-up notations are hilarious. I would also be offended but just know that he WILL and does currently appreciate you. Don’t worry 🙂

• says

I don’t love Panera either. I used to like the power hummus bowl but then they removed it from the menu. My biggest issue is that it’s never enough food for me, especially for the price. Much prefer to eat somewhere else for the most part.

8. says

This is hysterical. And I’m not ashamed to admit I love me some Kraft Mac n Cheese and Velveeta. I know it’s horrible and I eat it like once every few years, but I love it. I usually do a half salad/soup combo at Panera, but it’s so rare that I go there. And don’t worry, your son will totally appreciate your healthy eating habits–my parents are super healthy and I always complained as a kid (why wouldn’t I eat frozen pizza every night?!), but I am so glad I was surrounded by healthy eating/food because it has made it so much easier for me as an adult to stick with it. My husband grew up in a not so healthy house and it’s definitely harder for him to try and stick to healthy habits now.

9. says

I laugh, but at the same time I am remembering writing similar requests on my own mother’s shopping list when I was younger…so funny about the mac & cheese 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…Mail Order SantaMy Profile