What I Ate Wednesday 12.9.15

My son was home sick yesterday with what we will call a slight stomach virus. I am saying slight because for one, I am not one to dwell on illnesses and make them more than they are and two, I like to consider the slight stomach viruses as the kind I will hopefully not catch.

Anyway, let’s take a look at some recent meals on this What I Ate Wednesday! Half way through the week already 🙂

What I Ate Wednesday

Breakfast:

I have been alternating between bowls of oatmeal and the three ingredient pancake for over a week now. Don’t tell my oatmeal this but at the moment, I am preferring the pancake.

three ingredient pancake

For those mornings though when I run longer/harder, I definitely have oatmeal before my run and then follow my run up with the pancake.

oatmeal

It’s a nice compromise.

Look who is having a Happy Hanukkah…

starbucks mug

I absolutely love this Starbucks travel coffee cup that my son remembered I wanted! I take it with me in the morning when I drive him to school and even find myself using it in the house as well.

Lunch:

I went a good six months without eating eggs or egg whites unless they were baked inside of dessert and suddenly I find myself eating eggs at breakfast and then again at lunch. Hi, Creature of Habit over here.

I am enjoying this roasted sweet potato and egg combo for lunch lately and always add a spoonful of peanut butter to tie it all together.

eggs with sweet potatoes

I found this Cucumber hummus at ShopRite the other day when I was waiting on the line for latkes and really recommend it. It’s so interesting and good! I can’t really say if it’s cucumber I taste, it just has this addicting flavor and texture.

cucumber hummus

Dinner:

Instead of pizza last night, I made my Italian Style Power Bowl by adding quinoa to the below mix of sweet potatoes, broccoli, onions and brussels sprouts cooked in tomato sauce in my cast iron skillet.

Italian Style Power Bowl

Dessert:

I have been snacking on the leftover cookies I made from Sunday night’s dinner all week.

cookies

Flourless peanut butter chocolate chip, flourless oatmeal raisin chocolate chip and double chocolate.

Even though I was burned out from cooking on Sunday, I did find myself back in the kitchen by afternoon, whipping up cookies for the first night of Hanukkah.

Getting creative with cookie recipes will always come naturally to me. I made three quick batches without really thinking much about what I was doing which was my favorite part of the process.

I wasn’t at all focused on remembering the ingredients or taking any photos. I made the cookies simply for the intention of getting a nice mix of dessert on the table and for leftover cookie enjoyment.

Of course after the fact I was sorry because each cookie was better than the last so I wish I paid more attention in order to share my recipes with you but part of me needed the mental break from the “work” part of baking, you know what I mean?

What I Ate Wednesday time #wiaw #recenteats #oatmeal #cookies #eggs #fitfluential Click To Tweet

Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is eating today!

***********

What kind of hummus do you like best?

Do you ever feel like just cooking or just baking without documenting it?

Favorite night-time snack lately?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 9, 2015, 6:56 am

I love that you eat so many sweet potatoes- I am the same way! The cookies look amazing and I am loving the idea of eggs with sweet potatoes although Im not sure abut the PB. Then again I have never eaten something with PB that I didnt like…
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Day of Non-Training EatsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 8:27 am

If you have eaten your sweet potatoes with peanut butter in the past, you would certainly love this meal. The egg part is the same as making a two or three ingredient pancake really and topping it with peanut butter. I just tend to go sweet over savory with my meals so that’s why the peanut butter ends up involved rather than most people who would choose avocado as their fat source. Try it, trust me!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe December 9, 2015, 7:18 am

Tribe has a new lemon rosemary focaccia hummus that is seriously INCREDIBLE. The are rocking it right now. I love Cedar/s Beet Scallion, and Tribe’s Harvest Carrot as well.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Dealing with Forced Rest Without Going CrazyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 5:02 pm

I want to try the carrot kind, I have to look the next time I am in the store.

• Trish December 9, 2015, 8:35 am

LOVE the Starbucks mug!!!!
    Trish recently posted…#WIAW Post #WLS Style {12.9.15}My Profile

• mylittletablespoon December 9, 2015, 8:42 am

Mmm sweet potato + egg + peanut butter. Sounds like a match made in (my kind of ) heaven. I definitely hear you on the baking for personal pleasure vs documentation thing. That’s totally awesome – and impressive – that you can just whip up a few batches without much thought or recipe in front of you. I think its important to do things just for ourselves and not worry in the slightest about how they are going to be put “out into the world” once and a while. They look delicious!
    mylittletablespoon recently posted…WIAW: Not So Tricky “Tips”My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

Cookies are my thing for sure and it was nice to make them without thinking about pictures and posts. But I do want to recreate them so I can share them. Maybe soon!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns December 9, 2015, 8:57 am

I hope your son feels better soon and that you don’t catch what he’s got! I think something’s going around here as well..I’ve been feeling dizzy and sick for the past few days 🙁
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Winter Wish ListMy Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood December 9, 2015, 9:19 am

Those cookies though. So sweet your son remembered you wanted that mug! I keep hinting to my hubs that I want the gold, glittery cold cup but he’s not very good at taking hints, so my hopes aren’t too high ahhahaha Happy Hanukkah!
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Comfort FoodMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 9, 2015, 9:20 am

I feel like we already had the cookie conversation 😛 But yeah… I definitely miss the days where I could just bake something without having to worry about making it pretty so that I could take pictures later. Or about remaking it so that I know the recipe works. That’s actually part of the reason I stopped doing WIAW regularly — just too lazy 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…currently – december 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:57 pm

It’s nice not taking pictures and baking just to bake. I should do it more often.

• Arthi December 9, 2015, 9:32 am

I’m not a huge hummus fan but the cucumber hummus looks very interesting! Have you tried the spinach and kale greek yogurt dip from Trader Joe’s? That’s more up my alley!

Favorite night-time snack … I love a little piece of banana bread or pumpkin bread heated up with peanut butter on top. It’s nice and warm … The peanut butter starts to melt a little … It’s so satisfying!
    Arthi recently posted…Baker & Nosh: My Bread-Baking Experience!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:56 pm

I haven’t tried that dip but have wondered about it. My son would probably love it. I am not a huge dip eater and steer away from greek yogurt lately (so weird for me, i used to love it!) but I should try it anyway.

• Jessie @ The Acquired Sass December 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Love that Starbucks mug. How sweet that your son remembered!

And that hummus sounds like my kind of deal. I’m simple. I usually just eat garlic hummus. Mmm. And I dip garlic naan in it. I love garlic.
    Jessie @ The Acquired Sass recently posted…WIAW : Stuck on repeatMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:55 pm

I normally buy the garlic hummus at Trader Joe’s but bought this one instead from another store. Really liked it for a change.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 9, 2015, 9:51 am

Yes, I fantasize about going back to the old days of cooking and baking without worrying about a picture or writing down the recipe! Or time of day for lighting purposes, lol. REALLY hope it was truly just a slight bug and you don’t catch it! We have more colds here this week, luckily nothing more serious but I’m hoping I’ve built up enough resistance now to avoid.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…What I Ate Last SaturdayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:55 pm

So far so good,I feel fine and he is better. Hope everyone is better in your house!

• Ellie December 9, 2015, 9:57 am

I never remember to document things. If I take pictures of my meals for WIAW I am really proud of myself =P Your son is so thoughtful! I get the vibe (from his lovely text messages) that he is pretty intuitive and sarcastic. Am I correct?
    Ellie recently posted…Coffee Time [12/7/2015]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:54 pm

Oh for sure – he is certainly sarcastic and extremely intuitive. He’s a really good time 🙂

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl December 9, 2015, 9:58 am

Cucumber hummus? I need some of that!
    I actually only take photos about half the time I cook or bake, because some of my recipes are the meals or snacks I eat day in and day out. Like the weekly frittata for work breakfasts/lunches or muffins for snacks, or lately my pumpkin bread – I probably made that about eight times in the last eight weeks!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #35: Lunch at The Little BeetMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:54 pm

I am the same way – i make a ton of the same stuff over and over again! It’s just when I start baking something new, it was nice to just bake it and eat it with family without thinking about the recipe or taking pictures.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld December 9, 2015, 10:14 am

oh baking for the fun of it. I ALWAYS go with that intention then just…..well, sometimes they actually turn out okay and im screwed because I forgot measurements gah!

PB eggs and (normal) potatoes sounds so good right now.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Flourless Cake Batter BlondiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

I hate that i don’t remember the measurements but so often I bake without measuring anyway which is probably what happened on Sunday – much more fun this way. I will have to try to replicate the cookies though and make more of an effort to know what I was doing exactly so I can share!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 9, 2015, 1:15 pm

Our current lunches are nearly identical! I’ve been eating roasted white sweet potatoes with eggs almost every day for a couple of weeks now.
    I cook and bake a lot without taking photos, mostly because I cook a lot of the same meals over and over again.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Set Bold Yet Realistic Goals for 2016My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:48 pm

I like this lunch – it’s simple and filling without weighing me down. I totally cook a lot of the same meals over and over…and over again!

• Hannah @CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

I officially need to get bananas back into my life more often!!
    Hannah @CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: December 9, 2015My Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner December 9, 2015, 2:59 pm

I think I really need to start getting creative with lunches because today I settled for pumpkin bread. #adulting haha I just don’t like anything! Those cookies look fantastic. And way better than the ones I made this weekend that came out like sponges. Such a failure of a baker.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…A New NormalMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:47 pm

I think there’s hope for you as a baker. Sometimes it just takes a little practice. I really hate lunch but some days, i do okay.

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat December 9, 2015, 3:11 pm

I love that brand of hummus. They have a carrot one that I am obsessed with! I have never tried the cucumber one though oddly enough. And I love cucumbers. Must hunt it down.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Crohn’s RemissionMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 9, 2015, 4:46 pm

Ohh I will have to try the carrot one! I really liked this cucumber flavor.

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks December 9, 2015, 5:57 pm

I totally go through phases with breakfast too! I have been all about the veggie scrambles for a while now.
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…WIAW – Birthday Eats and a GIVEAWAY!My Profile

• Shannon December 9, 2015, 10:38 pm

I am not the biggest hummus fan. Maybe because I haven’t had the right kind yet. I really need to make my own so I can make it the way I want!
    Shannon recently posted…Orange Cranberry White Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

• Jen@jpabstfitness December 10, 2015, 8:59 pm

The same company that makes the cucumber hummus makes a black bean hummus that is ahh.mazing!
    Jen@jpabstfitness recently posted…It’s Not About PerfectionMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets December 12, 2015, 2:44 pm

I make it a point to do cooking and or baking without any thought or purpose of measurements or ingredients or photo taking because it helps break up all the blog work and is a nice change of pace. We all need a break from it sometimes. Of course, those are often the meals which come fabulous tasting. Oh well, such is life.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 13, 2015, 4:41 pm

That’s smart, we definitely all need a break from the blog part of things.