Sweet Potato Latkes {Grain-Free & Paleo}

I had the best of intentions yesterday morning for making a large batch of sweet potato latkes (potato pancakes) for the first night of Hanukkah.

I peeled THREE POUNDS  of sweet potatoes and then got down to business with the grating process before quickly realizing I wasn’t really in the mood to cook. At all.

sweet potato latkes grain free and paleo

In fact, the chaos on my kitchen counter is a fairly good indicator of my mood especially since I didn’t even care that I finally allowed my new dish towel to get dirty.

sweet potato latkes

So here’s the thing – sweet potato latkes need not be time consuming or draining. I just didn’t feel like cooking but didn’t realize it until I got started.

It’s sort of like running; your mind is set for an awesome run but then you get out there and the rest of your body disagrees with you.

The truth is, I don’t always feel like cooking and after trying out those new Pure Barre 10 minute videos earlier in the morning yesterday which I told you about in my workout recap, my arms were totally against me working any harder.

And all of that is okay. I don’t have to prepare and cook everything myself for every meal I feed my family.

So before heading out to ShopRite to purchase their latkes (and stand on a deli counter line with every other Jew on the north shore of Long Island which tested my patience like you can’t even imagine), I grated enough sweet potatoes for a small batch of latkes and then diced up the rest of the potatoes to be roasted for future meals this week.

The few sweet potato latkes that I did make though – grain free and even Paleo – came out perfect!

sweet potato latkes grain free and paleo

Latkes, which can be made with any kind of potato or even vegetables (think shredded zucchini, carrots, butternut squash etc.), are traditionally fried in oil but can also be baked in the oven if you are looking to lighten things up a bit.

There’s really no right way to make latkes as everyone has their own personal favorite method. I used some coconut flour this year to help bind things together along with an egg, grated onion, pinch of salt and pepper. That’s it!

Topped off with applesauce, I wonder why we don’t make these sweet potato latkes all year long.

sweet potato latkes grain free and paleo

To learn more about latkes and the tradition behind oil for Hanukkah, check out this article. It’s got a ton of great info plus lots of latke recipe variations and cooking tips for your latke making pleasure.

4.0 from 1 reviews
Sweet Potato Latkes

These sweet potato latkes are both grain free and paleo and can be pan fried the traditional way or baked in the oven if you are looking to lighten things up a bit.
Author:
Ingredients
  • 2 pound sweet potatoes - peeled
  • 1 small onion - grated
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • 2 organic eggs
  • salt/pepper
  • Coconut oil for pan*
  • Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled depending upon how many latkes you wish to make.
Instructions
  1. Peel and grate your sweet potatoes using the method you prefer most (hand grater or food processor).
  2. Once potatoes are grated, pour them into a bowl and wrap with a paper towel to soak up the moisture and then remove paper towel.
  3. Grate your onion and then add to the sweet potatoes, mixing to combine.
  4. Use another paper towel to cover the mixture in order to soak up the moisture.
  5. Remove paper towel and add eggs, coconut flour, salt and pepper, mixing to combine.
  6. Heat some coconut oil in a cast iron skillet (or other pan that you use to pan fry).
  7. Using a spoon, scoop out a small amount of latke mixture and shape into a patty.
  8. Drop a few at a time into your skillet, allowing each to cook for a few minutes per side, until lightly golden brown.
  9. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up the extra oil.
  10. Latkes are best served warm with apple sauce.
Notes
If using oven method, preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake latkes for 20 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet, flipping once, until lightly golden brown and crispy.
If using skillet method, the amount of coconut oil used in the skillet is up to you. Using more will make the latkes richer in flavor and crispier, using less is okay though too!
Latkes can be made ahead of time in batches and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, reheat in the oven so that they remain crispy.
Latkes can also be frozen!

Sweet Potato Latkes Grain Free & Paleo #latkes #Hanukkah #sweetpotatolatkes #potatopancakes… Click To Tweet

*****************

If you make latkes, what is your usual method?

Do you ever start to cook and then realize you don’t feel like it?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 7, 2015, 5:34 am

When I have to cook but Im not in the mood I get so irritable! I also hate when I feel like I have to rush through the process. I prefer to have more time so I can clean and stay organized as I go!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Last Week’s Workouts 11/30-12/6My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 1:01 pm

Yeah, I am not a fan of rushed cooking or even cooking and knowing I may want to take pictures! lol

• Susie @ SuzLyfe December 7, 2015, 6:57 am

You better believe that these are happening. I’ve got all the time in the world now, so why not???

• Jessie December 7, 2015, 7:18 am

Ugh I have totally started cooking only to realize I wasn’t in the mood. Take last night for instance. Started to make this chicken & broccoli pasta dish… and somehow or another I wound up at Subway. 🙂

• Gretchen | Gretchruns December 7, 2015, 8:00 am

Ohh man I love latkes! I’ve never tried sweet potato but these sound great..maybe even for breakfast!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Week in ReviewMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 7, 2015, 8:08 am

I just ate my leftover sweet potato latkes for breakfast with eggs – yum! Ironically I suppose, mine used all purpose gf flour instead of coconut. I guess I’m a paleo rebel for Hanukkah 😉
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chewy Almond Butter Chocolate Sandwich Cookies {Paleo}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 8:24 am

Haha, seriously! Try making them with the coconut flour one time and let me know what you think. I really liked them although it’s hard to get the latkes wrong if you ask me.

• Ellie December 7, 2015, 8:51 am

Yes THANK YOU!!! Latkes are fabulous! Sometimes when I get home from a run, it’s not that I don’t have enough physical energy, it’s the mental energy it takes to make something more complicated than a sandwich that gets me sometimes =P Now if that isn’t lazy, I don’t know what is hahaha
    Ellie recently posted…Week In Review [12/4-12/6]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 12:59 pm

WAIT! I am the same way! After a run, I need things to be as easy as possible. No patience, or maybe it’s the no physical energy thing as you say.

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl December 7, 2015, 8:54 am

Definitely making these for Hanukkah! It’s funny, I did not realize that all latkes were NOT grain free until my allergy diagnosis. Then I found out what Streit’s and such put in their mixes which is what my mom always used. Now it’s homemade all the way 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Being A Girls on the Run 5K Sparkle RunnerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 12:57 pm

It’s scary what’s in certain foods that we don’t even realize. I love the latkes from restaurants and from the grocery stores over here but the ones I make at home are just as good (if I use as much oil lol – the other places totally drown the latkes in oil!)

• Jen@bubblyrunner.com December 7, 2015, 9:10 am

YUM I love latkes! I’ve never attempted to make them myself though. I’ve totally realized I wasn’t in the mood for cooking halfway through–that’s what Chinese food is for! Workout today was 30 heart pumping minutes on the elliptical followed by core and lower body strength moves.
    Jen@bubblyrunner.com recently posted…A Great Run, A Concert, and We’re Getting in the Christmas Spirit!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 12:56 pm

Haha – yes, I need to order in chinese food more often. Was just thinking that the other day actually.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 7, 2015, 12:43 pm

Yum these look so good! I’ve never actually had latkes, but I’m sure I would love them since I adore all things potato. Cooking is usually like running for me; the first few minutes aren’t that fun, but then once I get into it I enjoy it.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Mile Markers 11/30/2015 – 12/6/2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 12:56 pm

You would definitely like latkes! You can any kind of potato. Love them. I prefer baking over cooking but sometimes, I just want nothing to do with the kitchen.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 7, 2015, 6:15 pm

The.WORST. Sometimes I’ll start out baking wit the best of intentions, before realizing that I don’t really want to deal with it. That’s when I rush through and nothing ends up coming out the way I want it to… which is okay if it’s just for me, but not so much when I’m making something for the blog that I want to photograph later 😆 And I haven’t had latkes in YEARS. My mom used to make them for me when I was younger, but I never actually made them myself.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…link love 12/6My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld December 7, 2015, 6:53 pm

YAY!!!! I’m so glad you’re using my favorite flour in savory dishes- It’s such a good binder! You’ve made me crave these giant latke’s I tried at…..the expensive grocery store in NYC (sorry, so helpful). It was like $5 for one but SO good. and so oily. 🙂
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…A day in the life- As told by the Real Housewives of AtlantaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 8, 2015, 1:51 pm

OMG the giant latkes are always worth it. So so good! I don’t know which place you tried them at but I know that all latkes in NY are guaranteed delicious, each in their own way.

• Shannon December 7, 2015, 10:07 pm

I made latkes last night, but with spaghetti squash! They were so good!

• Liz @ I heart vegetables December 7, 2015, 10:19 pm

i’ve never made latkes but I think my husband would really love them! I might have to give this a try!
    Liz @ I heart vegetables recently posted…Life Lately: The Holidays in RichmondMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets December 8, 2015, 6:31 pm

I too have experienced the get ready to cook phenomenon only to realize you have no desire to cook.

Love the latkes.

• Bharat Sharma December 8, 2015, 9:59 pm

My mom is a great cook ( although she doesn’t know many recipes) and all the recipes she make turns outstanding, but there are times when she doesn’t feel like cooking and at that time we prefer ordering something from the “outside” .
    Bharat Sharma recently posted…30 Major Health And Beauty Benefits of ApricotsMy Profile