Half Marathon Training Week #1 Recap

We are calling this Week #1 of half marathon training but I can’t really say that I did anything different from normal.

I am not focused on hitting a certain number of miles each week. I never am and won’t be for this half marathon training either.

I’m just focused on making my miles count. My long runs and speed runs will have meaning and effort while my easy/recovery runs will be just that.

I am noticing from writing this workout recap that I didn’t get in any yoga this week but at least I made it to the elliptical machine. As  I said last week, the elliptical was part of my plan to ensure that I cross train as well as useful in terms of strengthening the muscles for hills when incorporating lots of work with the resistance levels.

Two things before getting to my workouts from the week:

I really liked Laura’s post regarding The Benefits of Pilates for Runners and How To Get Started. Although I have only taken one pilates class in my life, Pure Barre does incorporate lots of the same technique.

I am considering this new Flex Series: Tone in 10 set of workouts from Pure Barre. You get online access for a year to six different 10 minute workouts. I realize I can skip around the DVD’s and online workout that I already have to shorten them if I need a quick workout but this Flex Series may be a better way to go.

Fred Lebow Training Recap Week #1

Monday – Pure Barre Mile High DVD & 4 Easy Miles

I really love the Mile High series, do I not say that really often? It’s 35 minutes and still burns my legs as much as the first time I started with this workout well over a year ago.

Tuesday – 8 Miles

The plan: 2 mile warm up, 4 miles increased effort, 2 miles easy.

splits

I didn’t feel as though I had much to give for those 4 middle miles but did okay considering. As usual, during the cool down, I found myself raring to go in the last half mile of the run and was sorry it was time to go home.

Wednesday – Pure Barre Studio Series DVD (45 minutes) & 30 Minutes Elliptical

I made to sure to give a real good effort in those 30 minutes on the elliptical with a focus on resistance so when I felt my heart pounding, I knew I was getting the job done.

Thursday – 8 Miles (7 treadmill, 1 outside)

I ran on the treadmill mainly because I realized I hadn’t done so in over two months. I was kind of getting nervous that the longer I go without running indoors, the harder it will be when the weather forces the return.

I can’t complain, it went really well!

7 miles in 59:40

1 mile warm up at 6.3 – 6.5

6 miles ranging between speeds of 6.8 – 8.0

1 mile cool down outside

Friday – Pure Barre Mile High DVD & 4 Easy Miles

Why does running only a few miles always seem so daunting? I knew I was only running 3 or 4 miles yet it felt like forever!

Saturday – 13.1 Miles

This run was interesting. It started out mild-mannered (weird way to describe a run, I know, but these are the words that come to mind) and then half way through, things got draining.

splits

Just when I thought about picking up the pace (mile 7), my phone rang and I took the call because I felt like catching up with my friend. I figured I could pick up the pace when we hung up but that never happened. In fact, I just focused on finishing the run out because my legs were tired and I was starting to feel cranky. I don’t normally get cranky while running < – Hi, PMS thanks for nothing.

Sunday – I don’t know?

I figured today would be a rest day but since I have these new Pure Barre workouts on my mind, I may order them and give something a try!

In case you missed my running related posts from the week:

A Peak in the Life of a Long Run

peak in the life of a long run

Winter Weather Workout Gear Favorites 2015

winter weather workout gear favorites and essentials 2015

Fred Lebow Half Marathon Training Recap Week #1 #running #halfmarathon #FLHM #FitFluential… Click To Tweet

******

How was your long run this weekend?

Pilates or Yoga?

Best thing you ate so far this weekend?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 6, 2015, 6:54 am

I love the idea of the flex series! That actually sounds perfect because I feel like there is just not enough time do a video and a run in the morning, but 10 minutes I could totally squeeze in! I did pilates twice last weekend definitely felt it!!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Catching Up And Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 6, 2015, 3:33 pm

I ordered it this morning! I tried out three of the 10 minute workouts and so far, I think I like it! We can mix and match or only do one. It’s perfect. And, it was different moves than all of the other Pure Barre routines I have so that’s a big plus. For $14.95, I think it’s worth having.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes December 6, 2015, 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing my post! I’m glad you enjoyed it! The Flex series sounds really fun- 10 minute workouts would be a great way to squeeze in barre. I feel the same way about sort runs—they feel so long! Maybe because I feel it takes me 2 miles at least to feel good in any run.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Potato and Parsnip Soup {Dairy-free}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 6, 2015, 3:32 pm

Seriously, those first few miles really are a warm up that running only 3 or 4 always seems so weird.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl December 6, 2015, 1:04 pm

I had two long-ish runs – 7 miles yesterday in the park which was pretty and the usual, and then today I ran to/from a Girls on the Run 5K on Randalls Island which was 7 total but mostly fun running! I am taking a similar approach to you for the Lebow.
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Grain Free Dark Chocolate Fudge BrowniesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 6, 2015, 3:31 pm

The weather has been great this weekend for running, not terribly cold in the morning.

• Fiona December 6, 2015, 1:18 pm

My long run this week (today) went better than expected – I think I was just so happy to have a day when it has not been raining/ stormy that it picked everything right up! Best thing I ate this weekend so far was either roast butternut squash chips or a granola slice (from my fav coffee shop) or the chicken avocado sandwich I just ate… really, it’s just been a good weekend of food 🙂 Not over yet!
    Fiona recently posted…Washing Bathroom WallsMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 6, 2015, 2:24 pm

Finally did some yoga this morning, yay! Looking forward to being able to write up a workout recap next week again. And I can’t believe this half is creeping up and I’m not even running – eek!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Caramel Hot Chocolate {Paleo & Vegan}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 6, 2015, 3:30 pm

You can run this half no problem! You will feel much better as the days go by and will return to total normal super fast. I promise. Happy Hanukkah!

• AmandaM December 7, 2015, 12:57 pm

Right- We’ve got plenty of time before the Lebow race! No need to worry yet

You are smart to start prepping for the treadmill. I am irrationally scared to get on the thing after running all year on the roads. I am going to copy you and transition slowly so my body will not be in shock:)

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 7, 2015, 1:06 pm

I think we need to do it once a week so that we remain on good terms with the treadmill lol